Apple must be doing summat right....

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Apple must be doing summat right....

Postby Bazza » Mon May 03, 2010 8:26 pm

Hi brothers and sisters...

I Million sales of the iPad already. WOW!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/tec ... cle1554658

Bazza, G0LCU...

Team AMIGA...
Bazza
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Mon May 03, 2010 9:34 pm

What's that noise I hear <ka-ching!>

At least they'll now have some more money to compile a patent portfolio to attack ogg-theora :roll:
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby johnhudson » Tue May 04, 2010 7:18 am

Apple has positioned itself as the purveyor of quality - a bit like Marks & Spencer's used to be able to do - and you will always get a reasonable share of the market that way. My guess is that Apple will outlive M$ as long as they don't go for market domination but simply present themselves as offering quality.

A side advantage of that is that they can take a dip in quality on the occasional product as long as most of the range is OK.
johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby leke » Wed May 05, 2010 6:11 pm

ImageNor on the iPad I heard.
leke
LXF regular

Postby LeeNukes » Wed May 05, 2010 8:25 pm

Apple make over priced, locked down, silver and white tat which although people pay more for, they are willing to accept getting rammed up the arse for every £50 add-on they need to make it "just work" because Apple have changed the standard to fit in with their ethos and the fashion conscious mugs out there are falling for it.

c***s
LeeNukes
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Wed May 05, 2010 9:22 pm

Sounds to me like you're jealous. :P
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby LeeNukes » Thu May 06, 2010 5:34 am

Rhakios wrote:Sounds to me like you're jealous. :P

Nope, I've used Macs, can't stand them, I don't see why people want a dock, or what's so intuitive about a Mac. It just feels wrong.

Much more effort to get used to then what Linux took, and since you've putting effort into relearning how to use a computer, why pay twice as much for the privilege? At least with Linux its free.
LeeNukes
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Thu May 06, 2010 7:53 am

Macs are for people who don't want to know how their Computers work
Linux is for people who do want to know how their Computers work
Windows is people who don't want to know why their Computers don't work

Actually, I kinda like Macs, in a "bless its little pointy head" sort of way.
They are computers for people who don't want to use computers, which is why geeks generally hate them.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby ollie » Thu May 06, 2010 11:58 am

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:Macs are for people who don't want to know how their Computers work
Linux is for people who do want to know how their Computers work
Windows is people who don't want to know why their Computers don't work

Actually, I kinda like Macs, in a "bless its little pointy head" sort of way.
They are computers for people who don't want to use computers, which is why geeks generally hate them.

I quite like Macs, they are great for multimedia production and handle multimedia files much better than Windows. In my experience graphic designers find them much easier to use than Windows because they don't crash or lock up with the massive Photoshop or raw video files that are commonly created.

Do I like the lock in? No. It will be interesting to see how Adobe and Google (YouTube) proceed with both Apple and Microsoft saying that they won't support Flash. The problem is that HTML5 video and audio tags don't do what Flash does. Flash is much more than a method of playing video in web pages, it allows interactivity far beyond what JavaScript and CSS allow. It is this interactivity that is the problem, touch screen devices can't interact with Flash - is this Adobe's fault or the touch screen OS creators fault?
ollie

Postby Marrea » Thu May 06, 2010 2:37 pm

They do make very attractive packaging to house their silver and white tat though. You know, those lovely looking boxes which proudly proclaim the contents to be "Designed in California, Made in China". :wink:

I have a Mac Mini and an iPod and quite enjoy using both, but Apple products are way over priced and have pretty fragile finishes. You have to treat them like cut glass to ensure you don't ruin the surfaces.
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Thu May 06, 2010 6:14 pm

LeeNukes wrote:
Rhakios wrote:Sounds to me like you're jealous. :P

Nope, I've used Macs, can't stand them, I don't see why people want a dock, or what's so intuitive about a Mac. It just feels wrong.

On the subject of intuitive, I'm now of the opinion that "intuitive" is code for "what I'm used to" and that otherwise there's really no such thing.

Much more effort to get used to then what Linux took, and since you've putting effort into relearning how to use a computer, why pay twice as much for the privilege? At least with Linux its free.

Having used Windows and Linux before I tried OSX, I found the latter very easy to get into - and when using it on a network with Linux computers, it is so much easier than Windows. The only odd thing I find about OSX is that closing a window doesn't exit a program, unless in certain specific cases it does.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby towy71 » Thu May 06, 2010 6:21 pm

Rhakios wrote:... The only odd thing I find about OSX is that closing a window doesn't exit a program, unless in certain specific cases it does.
Just to keep you guessing :roll:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby Marrea » Thu May 06, 2010 7:42 pm

Rhakios wrote:Having used Windows and Linux before I tried OSX, I found the latter very easy to get into ...

I've always regarded OSX simply as "a Linux which works". :D

But having used Windows for years and years I found the most difficult thing to get the hang of in OSX was .dmg files.
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Thu May 06, 2010 7:52 pm

Marrea wrote:But having used Windows for years and years I found the most difficult thing to get the hang of in OSX was .dmg files.

The only thing I found "difficult" about dmg files, is that I parse it as "damage" rather than "disk image". :? :D
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby jamie_tickner » Mon May 24, 2010 5:10 pm

I still don't know what purpose an iPad would serve!!

Personally I think snow leopard is a great operating system, more so than vista or windows 7.
jamie_tickner

Next

Return to Other OS