Getting started with Mandriva-Cover disks- installtion error

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Getting started with Mandriva-Cover disks- installtion error

Postby linux_juggler » Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:24 am

first of all i just want to thank you all for the good work .
secon :
am trying to install mandrava on my VMware 5.0 so that i can test it b4 i try to install it on my computer ..
i know mandrake ( i have used the version 7 ) and i know that you cannt excpect the errors that you may see in your face when you try to install it .
so i start my VMware and made it for mandrake and now its okay to start installation .
i start the installion , and every thing was okay untill i got an error that say that i didnt select the base program ?
althought i checked on every box .
the second time i try to install it , i got an other error that there is an error accoured when they try to install an rpm file called lib* and do i want to continue any way , even if say yes i got an other error with other correpted rpm .
so can any one help me with that ?
best regards
linux_juggler

Re: Getting started with Mandriva-Cover disks- installtion e

Postby Dominic » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:15 pm

linux_juggler wrote:i got an other error that there is an error accoured when they try to install an rpm file called lib* and do i want to continue any way , even if say yes i got an other error with other correpted rpm .

Im having the same problem!!! and Im using VMWare 4... I wonder if anyone knows why this error is happeining???

Dominic
Dominic

Postby linux_juggler » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:23 pm

if you read the mag you can see that its regular to have something like that...
its mandrake any way
linux_juggler

RE: Re: Getting started with Mandriva-Cover disks- installti

Postby nelz » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:24 pm

I con confirm that it is not an inherent problem with VMWare, I've installed form the discs not VMWare 5. however, the CD handling is a little suspect in VMWare at times (or it plain doesn't like my drive) so I usually rip the CDs to ISO files and install from them. It is faster and more reliable.

Code: Select all
dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/some/file.iso bs=2048

does it, then you can install from the ISO images in VMWare. Copying the discs also gives an initial test for read errors (which is what you are seeing here) without running through most of the installation before finding out.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Re: RE: Re: Getting started with Mandriva-Cover disks- insta

Postby Dominic » Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:56 am

nelz wrote: so I usually rip the CDs to ISO files and install from them..

I'll give it a go...
thx
Dominic

Re: Getting started with Mandriva-Cover disks- i

Postby Dominic » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:10 am

I gave it a go... created the ISOs and mapped them in VMware...
No change. The first package that fails is readline, right at the beginning of the process and it just continues downhill from there :( . All I can assume is that I have been given duff disks
Dominic

RE: Re: Getting started with Mandriva-Cover disks- i

Postby nelz » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:42 am

It does sound like it. although I would expect a faulty disc to fail when you copy it to the ISO too.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs