OpenLaszlo

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

OpenLaszlo

Postby Sunuraxi » Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:00 am

Hello,

I was very interested by the article on OpenLaszlo. The rating of the product (9/10) was so high that I decided to test it immediatelly. Unfortunaelly, after I read the documentation, I have been very desappointed : if OpenLaszlo generates Flash files that can be installed on a standalone server (i.e. without openlaszlo), this is only true if you don't access a relationnal database, SOAP or RPC services.

If you want such services (and most web developpers will), you need to install OpenLaszlo and worse, write Java programs to access your data in your relationnal DB. You have thus to use 3 languages : XML, javascript and Java. In that way, Openlaszlo loses a lot of his interest.

I think the rating was over-evaluated.

Pierre, from Belgium
Sunuraxi

RE: OpenLaszlo

Postby ollie » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:05 am

I must agree, even though I've subscribed to the OpenLaszlo mailing list to see if it is really worth trying to add it to Eclipse. Those dependencies are a real killer :twisted: :x . It is not going to be easy to convince web hosts to add this functionality to web servers just for you.
ollie

Re: OpenLaszlo

Postby hyweljones » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:32 pm

Sunuraxi wrote:Hello,

I was very interested by the article on OpenLaszlo. The rating of the product (9/10) was so high that I decided to test it immediatelly. Unfortunaelly, after I read the documentation, I have been very desappointed : if OpenLaszlo generates Flash files that can be installed on a standalone server (i.e. without openlaszlo), this is only true if you don't access a relationnal database, SOAP or RPC services.

If you want such services (and most web developpers will), you need to install OpenLaszlo and worse, write Java programs to access your data in your relationnal DB. You have thus to use 3 languages : XML, javascript and Java. In that way, Openlaszlo loses a lot of his interest.

I think the rating was over-evaluated.

Pierre, from Belgium

On this rating too I've decided to give it a go but after reading the above and struggling with installing it, I might not bother after all. :(
hyweljones

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs