KMyMoney hits version 0.8

Community announcements - software releases, LUG meetings etc.

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

KMyMoney hits version 0.8

Postby davecs » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:04 pm

Er... that's it!

The 0.7 development series has been out for a while and I have found it to be stable, but for those of you who stick to officially-stable versions, 0.8 has a whole stack of features compared to 0.6.4. Including importing Gnucash files. It is seriously starting to address some of the deficits that appeared when reviewed in LXF some issues ago, and of course it will look nice in KDE. The review gave it a very positive future, and it is certainly more than up to the job of a domestic finance manager, and has quite a few small business features too.

Not only that, a big help file has been integrated into the KDE Help Centre.

It's already on the repos at PCLinuxOS, one of the KMyMoney guys has developed a good relationship with the PCLOS guys.
Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
davecs
LXF regular

RE: KMyMoney hits version 0.8

Postby firefox » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:58 am

I'm looking to be able to download statements from my bank and import them into KMyMoney, is this possible?

Ideally I would like it to start to recognise the types of payment and classify them accordingly, e.g. if there's a a regular payment to Costa Coffee Inc. I'd like it to classify it as "Indulgences" or something.

Is this kind of thing possible with KMyMoney?
firefox

Postby davecs » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:53 pm

I have not tried to download Bank Statements and import them. I think you can but my bank does not appear to have that facility.

It costs nothing to try, and your original GNUcash or whatever data will still be there if you don't like it.

As for types of payment, no they are not automated. However, if you enter any string into the payee box, a list pops up of all previous payees that have that string in their name, which narrows as you enter more characters, and ditto with the classification, so I would imagine that you may type:cos<click><tab>ind<click>. I find that this makes inputting fast. Compared to GnuCash, it has strengths and weaknesses, however, KMyMoney seems to be kicking on apace, and GnuCash seems to have stagnated, so expect KMM to get better and better!

You can request features through the web site if you sign up, and I think that defaulting to a transaction type seems a sensible suggestion. It would make input even quicker.
Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
davecs
LXF regular

Postby firefox » Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:11 am

Thanks, I will give it a try.
firefox

Postby davecs » Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:06 am

I just had a look at their site at: http://kmymoney2.sourceforge.net/

The "import downloaded statements" feature is planned for version 1.0. Their current plans are completely outlined (click on "Release Plan" in left-hand frame) and I have found that they have got the codebase solid enough for me to mess around with odd-numbered and even cvs versions maybe with the occasional annoyance but at no cost to my data.
davecs
LXF regular

Return to Announcements