BeOS

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

BeOS

Postby Grimnir512 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:10 pm

Has anyone tried installing it on old hardware before? I'm trying to rescue an old Windows Me laptop with it (Linux just doesn't cut it on this laptop, it's seriously slow) so I thought I'd try and install an OS from the period onto it.

I'm having a few problems (graphics drivers [not on CD, but available] and partitioning being the main ones, but it's nothing I can't fix.

So, have you ever used BeOS (or Haiku)?
Grimnir512

Postby LoL » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:20 pm

Many moons ago, I had it on a PII/800

It seemed to work okay, but I could never really figure out what to do with it, there not actually being enough software available to make it more than an amusing excercise in cramming yet another OS onto the system [1], so I really can't tell you how well it'll run on something like that ... just that it will run on it

---

[1] As I recall, I had DOS, 4DOS, WfW/3.11, Win98, XP, QNX RTOS Suite, some linux or other and BeOS on that box
Oontz <-- Click Here
LoL
LXF regular

Postby Grimnir512 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:35 pm

LoL wrote:Many moons ago, I had it on a PII/800

It seemed to work okay, but I could never really figure out what to do with it, there not actually being enough software available to make it more than an amusing excercise in cramming yet another OS onto the system [1], so I really can't tell you how well it'll run on something like that ... just that it will run on it

---

[1] As I recall, I had DOS, 4DOS, WfW/3.11, Win98, XP, QNX RTOS Suite, some linux or other and BeOS on that box

I managed to get it installed. It's running pretty nippily at the moment, and apparently there are three wireless cards available that work with it, so I'm going to get one and have a proper system :D
Grimnir512

Postby LoL » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:54 pm

Grimnir512 wrote:I managed to get it installed. It's running pretty nippily at the moment, and apparently there are three wireless cards available that work with it, so I'm going to get one and have a proper system :D

Good luck with it

I can't really say any more than I already have, since I never made any real use of it and, besides, lost interest in OSes, software and, even, hardware some time ago - I just wanna turn the thing on, run up the app and get on with whatever I'm doing ... not tinker with it [1]

I don't know that you wouldn't be better off with Haiku than BeOS, in the long run though - At least Haiku is still under development and, if it forks too far from its origins, you may, ultimately, find yourself left out in the cold, software-wise, if you stick with BeOS

---

[1] Just to put that in perspective, about ten-to-fifteen years ago, an übergeek acquaintance of mine declared himself stunned, when he saw my system, on the basis that there were people who filled their drives with applications and people who filled their drives with games ... but he had never before encountered anyone like me, who filled their drive to bursting with system tweaking tools, enhancements, shells and suchlike, so that there was no room left for applications of any other kind :wink:
Oontz <-- Click Here
LoL
LXF regular

Postby Grimnir512 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:10 am

LoL wrote:I don't know that you wouldn't be better off with Haiku than BeOS, in the long run though - At least Haiku is still under development and, if it forks too far from its origins, you may, ultimately, find yourself left out in the cold, software-wise, if you stick with BeOS

I would switch to Haiku but as on now it's still al alpha (although very stable, at that) and it doesn't yet have a wireless stack, and wireless is practically a must in my house because the router is in such an awkward place that running a cable to the laptop is infeasible.
Last edited by Grimnir512 on Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grimnir512

Postby LoL » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:41 am

Grimnir512 wrote:I would switch to Haiku but [...] it doesn't yet have a wireless stack, and wireless is practically a must in my house because the router is in such an awkward place that running a cable to the laptop is infeasible.

Ah, well ... Good luck, in any case :)
Oontz <-- Click Here
LoL
LXF regular

Return to Other OS