My wife has broke vista again

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

My wife has broke vista again

Postby heiowge » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:58 am

I don't do vista. Ever. And yet I am expected to fix my wife's laptop when she breaks it.

She fiercely resists any changes to how and what she does (I even have to burn discs and transfer data to a flash drive off vista's convoluted file manager for her so I can print). It's a futile battle every time I suggest a switch to a decent OS. :(

Problem is this:

Her taskbar has moved to the right hand side of the screen. She wants it back. It's not locked and can be resized. Every forum says drag and drop it. That's not working. Any ideas.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby lok1950 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:40 pm

Have you right clicked on a blank area choose Properties should be an option to place the task bar left/right/top/bottom at least the option is there for Win 7 :wink: I have mine on the left side great for a wide screen.

Enjoy the Choice :)
lok1950
LXF regular

Re: My wife has broke vista again

Postby RedWillow » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:10 pm

heiowge wrote:It's not locked and can be resized. Every forum says drag and drop it. That's not working.

Unlocking the taskbar and dragging and dropping it works for me in Vista. You say it's on the right. There's often a sidebar/google gadgets/widgets thingy on the right. Is that getting in the way of your drag and drop? Have you tried closing the sidebar in order to get to the taskbar?

heiowge wrote:My wife has broke vista again

Correction: your wife hasn't broken Vista. The worst she did was a couple of injudicious mouse gestures. Microsoft broke Vista. :wink:

Edit. Just wanted to add: isn't it odd that while most of the main Linux distros have been working for the last couple of years on getting a seamless bootup transition from grub to usplash/plymouth/whatever to the xserver, that Microsoft is going the other way? At least with XP you had some sort of blue splash screen during bootup. Not pretty, but it was reassuring that something was going on. But with Vista (and W7) you get an entirely blank and black screen for a minute or so before the login screen appears. Seems retrograde to me.
RedWillow
LXF regular

Postby heiowge » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:36 pm

Not to sound snotty or ungrateful, but I'm afraid that none of that made much of a difference.

Drag n drop had been tried repeatedly, but funnily enough practically solved it.

I clicked between the clock and the bottom edge of the screen on the toolbar. Then I dragged it left and the bar flipped to the bottom edge.

I have since locked it.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby lok1950 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:53 pm

I get a spinning dots of colour than become the windows logo as a splash screen on Win7 even on my VB version takes about 15 sec to the log in screen.

Enjoy the Choice :)
lok1950
LXF regular

Postby 1slipperyfish » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:28 pm

i've had vista since February and it's run fine with no probs and i believe in treating os mean to keep 'em keen :D
paul
i am a follower of the culture

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby maria » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:30 am

Hi,
I am using Vista since last 1.5 year. Its running nice with 2 GB RAM. Previously I was using Vista with 1 GB RAM. It is better then using XP.
maria

Postby heiowge » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:53 am

I hated vista from the moment I tried it and every time that I have had to use it since.

I will probably try win 7 just to see if it lives up to XP, but so far no windows OS has come close.

Of course, I still spend 98% of my PC time on linux. 8)
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby LeeNukes » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:55 am

I spend pretty much 100% of my time in Linux now. I used it at work and I use it at home and have done for a few years now, its dual boot but I hardly ever go into XP.
LeeNukes
LXF regular

Return to Other OS