Magazine Subscripiton Troubles

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Magazine Subscripiton Troubles

Postby tealc » Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:20 pm

I am not sure if this is the correct place to air this so please forgive me if it isn't.
I payed for an international subscription about a month ago through subscription.co.uk, mostly because of the price, about a third of what it costs here in Norway, and also to get the mag. before it came out in the shops.
The 24 August issue hasn't appered yet so I phoned support at subscription.co.uk, a somewhat hassled lady politely told me that their entire database was down and wouldn't be up until Friday 02 September !!! She couldn't tell me if my mag was on its way or anything else.
Too put it mildly I was p*** off, a subscription service for a Technology mag with no backup system !
Anyone else know anything about this ???

Thanks
tealc

RE: Magazine Subscripiton Troubles

Postby Rhakios » Sun Aug 28, 2005 4:38 pm

Now this is strange. They (www.subscriptions.co.uk) have the same postal address as is given for LXF subscriptions in the magazine, but they are not the same site as www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk which handles Future (and thus LXF) subscriptions, they also charge more!
We know from previous posts on this topic that LXF do not handle subs in house, but this all looks a bit fishy :?

If their database has gone down, will this affect subscribers who use the more direct method. Although it has not prevented the latest edition (71) from reaching me.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby tealc » Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:42 pm

Very strange and disturbing ! As I said I haven't even received my first copy yet. I think that I will phone them again tomorrow.
tealc

Postby Rhakios » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:23 pm

You ought to know that it is a bank holiday in the UK tomorrow, so they might not be working, or those who are on duty will be likely to be grumpy and unhelpful.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby tealc » Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:38 am

Ah ! I should have remembered, thanks for the tip I'll wait a day or two.
tealc

Postby Smallenhofer » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:35 am

Hi Tealc

Rebecca from the magazine here. Sorry to hear of your subscription troubles. Yes, the database is down for a few days. Rather than you having to call them, why don't you send me an email with your full name and address and I will find out what's going on with your subscription. My email address is rebecca.smalley@futurenet.co.uk.

Rebecca
Smallenhofer

Postby tealc » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:20 pm

Thanks Rebecca, very kind of you but the latest issue came in the post yesterday :-) I just hope that it comes a bit earlier in the future.
tealc

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs