Syntext Announced Serna Free XML Editor

Community announcements - software releases, LUG meetings etc.

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Re: Almost there

Postby ollie » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:10 am

Tallbob wrote:Run Serna as: /usr/local/bin/serna-4.1

Try typing "serna-4.1" or "/usr/local/bin/serna-4.1" in a terminal window. If that doen't work try "sh serna-4.1" or "sh /usr/local/bin/serna-4.1".
ollie

serna.bin

Postby Tallbob » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:58 am

Now I'm getting an error that says serna.bin not available. I can clearly see it in the browser. What up with that?
Tallbob

Postby Rhakios » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:29 pm

Please show your working, i.e. the exact command as you used it and the exact error from the console.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Almost there

Postby Tallbob » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:06 am

Thanks for the help. I got it working. The first thing I did was replace Ubuntu with Open SUSE 11.1 (with a disc from Linux Format magazine). After getting that running and updated I downloaded the rpm package from the Serna web site. I think my problem before was that in the download manager in Ubuntu I let the archive manager open the download. In Open SUSE the default is to open with the package installer and that worked. I think if I had changed the opening software under Ubuntu's download manager, it may have worked. I'm letting my newness show, I didn't think to change from the defaults in Ubuntu. When I got the software installed first off I looked for it in the Application Browser, not there. Next I checked in the Software Manager, there it was. It took a little scouting around but I found the serna.sh file under usr/local/serna-4.1/bin. I double clicked it and there was the editor. Yea! :D I copied the serna.sh file to the desktop and it works fine. I would like to get Serna to show up in the Applications Browser just like regular installed applications, how do I do that? :?
Tallbob

Postby lok1950 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:39 am

Which desktop did go with Gnome or KDE but the procedure is similar for both right-click the icon for the Application menu there should be an option to Edit (edit the menu ) the interface just differs between the Gnome/KDE but is fairly straight forward you will be able to figure it out ;)

Enjoy the Choice :)
lok1950
LXF regular

Thank you!

Postby Tallbob » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:37 pm

To Rhakios, nelz, ollie, lok1950

Thank you!

I made a working desktop short cut, all is right with the world.
Tallbob

Re: Thank you!

Postby nelz » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:49 am

Tallbob wrote:I made a working desktop short cut, all is right with the world.

Wow! I had no idea that desktop shortcuts were so powerful :)
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Desktop Shortcut

Postby Tallbob » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:26 am

It may not seem like much but I wasn't able to get Serna to show up as an installed application on the Application Manager. The only way to get it to run was to dive through the file manager to the executable. A real nuisance for every day use. A desktop shortcut solved that issue.
Tallbob

Previous

Return to Announcements