TuxRadar.com diluting LXF web site

Comments and suggestions about this site

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Should LXF bring back the news to the front page of www.linuxformat.com?

Poll ended at Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:40 am

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes : 4

TuxRadar.com diluting LXF web site

Postby ollie » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:40 am

The front page of linuxformat.co.uk/linuxformat.com has been promising an update for about six weeks now and nothing has changed. It also seems that the number of questions posted to the LXF forums has been slowing down over the last few weeks. Either many people have suddenly become Linux competent in a very short time or the number of people visiting the LXF web site has dropped considerably.

Is the release of TuxRadar.com as a news site and the change from .co.uk just too much of a change at the same time? In my opinion - yes!

LXF already had an RSS news feed, forum feed and blog feed with a very strong brand name established over nearly 10 years. Now LXF is deliberately splitting the the audience by sending people to TuxRadar.com for the latest news and leaving a new www.linuxformat.com basically for these forums.

I for one think this is an error.
ollie

RE: TuxRadar.com diluting LXF web site

Postby M-Saunders » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:07 am

Hi Ollie,

Yes, things have quietened down a bit here as we've focused on getting TuxRadar up and running. However, we are in the process of relaunching this site to focus more clearly on the forums, magazine information, archives and wiki, so there won't be any overlap with the news-oriented TuxRadar.

We plan to get the new site up in the next couple of weeks (most of my time is spent on the LXFDVD but when that's done I'll have some time to work on it).

Cheers,
Mike
M-Saunders
LXF regular

RE: TuxRadar.com diluting LXF web site

Postby Rhakios » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:13 pm

Transitions always make for difficult times and inevitably it will lead to some people being dissatisfied.
One thing I have noticed, is that news stories on Tuxradar attract a lot more comments than they ever did on the front page of this site. So, it looks to have been a positive move overall for the magazine (as it's pretty clear that Tuxradar and LXF are from the same stable.).
In my personal opinion the podcast is one of the highlights of Tuxradar, it's like the blog, but much better. :)
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Return to This Website