Big Bother and the company he keeps

Comments and suggestions about this site

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby LoL » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:37 pm

Rhakios wrote:Third party cookies? Just don't accept cookies originating from anything except the originating server.

Oh, I don't

In fact, I'm so tooled up with anti-this-that-the-other-and-everything-else measures [1] that I can barely see anything on the web! :wink:

---

[1] Adblock Plus, CS Lite, FlashBlock, Ghostery, Google Redesigned, GreaseMonkey, LinkExtend, NoScript, PageHacker, Platypus, WebFiltering Toolbar
Oontz <-- Click Here
LoL
LXF regular

Postby Ram » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:49 am

Paranoid are we ?

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby AndyBaxman » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:01 am

Ram wrote:Paranoid are we ?

With Phorm on the horizon and Wacqui Jacqui's plans to track our online activity in the name of "security", it isn't paranoia, its common sense.
Bomb #20: "Let there be light"
AndyBaxman
LXF regular

Postby LoL » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:33 pm

Ram wrote:Paranoid are we ?

I forgot to mention my Tor Proxy toolbar

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't, therefore, go to say that they aren't out to get you - Better a pound of prevention than an ounce of infection, in my book

And, besides, I often wonder what people who aren't paranoid find to think about all day
Oontz <-- Click Here
LoL
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:58 pm

Has anyone here managed to read to the END of the Lynne Truss book?

(I mean "Eats, shoots, and leaves" of course)

And do I remeber correctly, there was a band called "Big Bother and the Holding Company"- or was it Brother? ;)
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:31 pm

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:Has anyone here managed to read to the END of the Lynne Truss book?

Yes, but I'd already guessed who did it :P
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby nelz » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:32 pm

LoL wrote:If you find yourself having to use a comma after an 'and' then you need to re-write your idea in a less confused manner in the first place

An Oxford comma goes immediately before an and, not after it.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby towy71 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:37 pm

Janis Joplin with Big Brother and the Holding Company
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby AndyBaxman » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:01 pm

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:Has anyone here managed to read to the END of the Lynne Truss book?

(I mean "Eats, shoots, and leaves" of course)

And do I remeber correctly, there was a band called "Big Bother and the Holding Company"- or was it Brother? ;)

Seems there is.
Warning: shedloads of Flash.

On Eats, shoots and leaves?

Apparently there are a number of punctuation errors in the book itself, which just goes to show that overt pedantry is liable to explode in your own face.

This is particularly true in online communities. If you're apt to complain about grammar then you'd better make sure yours is 100% perfect or a severe flaming, not to mention shovel-loads of derision, is often the result.
AndyBaxman
LXF regular

Postby AndyBaxman » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:05 pm

nelz wrote:
LoL wrote:If you find yourself having to use a comma after an 'and' then you need to re-write your idea in a less confused manner in the first place

Nice :twisted:
AndyBaxman
LXF regular

Postby LoL » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:28 pm

nelz wrote:

Possibly ... Possibly ...

But either way around, neither way around works for me - It's an abomination and the doctor should've slapped the mother, not the baby :wink:
Oontz <-- Click Here
LoL
LXF regular

Postby LoL » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:37 pm

Aaaaaany ... ho ... o ... o ... ow

Returning to the original question before this thread got hijacked by grammar-nazism [1] ...

... Were we or weren't we?

---

[1] And, before you all go off on one, yes I know I started it and can't complain as a result, but I was just joining in and light-heartedly taking the pi$$ back, so don't get too excitable now ... or you'll have to go to your rooms and won't be allowed to stay up late any more
Oontz <-- Click Here
LoL
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:51 pm

nelz wrote:

Yes, but I'd already guessed who did it :P

(Strenuously struggling to keep OT)- I knew it was the Panda from page one :)

All we need now is....

Do I smell fish?
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:31 pm

LoL wrote:But either way around, neither way around works for me - It's an abomination and the doctor should've slapped the mother, not the baby :wink:

There are times when a comma preceding an and makes sense, but in that case it isn't truly an Oxford comma. As with any rule of grammar, you need to understand it fully and then learn to apply it, rather than apply is slavishly. The same goes for starting sentences with "But".
nelz
Site admin

Postby LoL » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:24 pm

nelz wrote:The same goes for starting sentences with "But".

Damn! ... Hoist wih my own petard - Again! *sigh*

But ... on the bright side ... I'm a hypocrite - So, it's alright if *I* break the rules, just not if anyone else does [1]

---

[1] Possibly not game, set and match to me ... But definitely a game point at least :wink:
Oontz <-- Click Here
LoL
LXF regular

PreviousNext

Return to This Website