live-cds forever

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

live-cds forever

Postby kevingpo » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:21 am

It would be very good to have every month a live-cd with the CD issue, and maybe live-cd ISOs on the DVD. I would definitely buy every single issue that way. I love live-cds, but don't like the bother of downloading them and burning them all the time.
kevingpo

RE: live-cds forever

Postby jjmac » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:40 am

A remastering specifically for gui based recovery would be nice ... or possibly a mini tutorial on that.

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:24 am

I've already proposed such a tutorial, so maybe you'll get your wish in the near future, jm.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby jjmac » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:20 am

Really !! (grin), well ... i would think that LXF would certainly have experiance there. :)

~~~~~ Just to divert a bit ~~~~~ An Important Public Interest Message:

Warning: beware of xcdroast, it's a smirf, it has obviously been designed to drive the unsuspecting totally batty :!: :shock: :P :oops: :cry: :(

It would certainly be a usefull article though... Combining cli techniques, along with design and optimisation practice, all being placed within a useful framework to boot, (so to speak).

jm
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:33 am

Xcdroast? I'd use cdrecord/growisofs for the best control and K3b for the best screenshots :)
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby rebdownunder » Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:26 am

I like the live cd's, but I'm having a bit of a scrum... I've got the cd's from LXF68. I burned the live iso's to a cd each using my wife's windoze machine; when I rebooted to a live cd, nothing happened. I've got the bios set so it checks the cdrom b4 the hd. Is there a tutorial or something that tells how to set these things up under windoze?
Thanks!

Steve

PS- Neil, don't leave us; you're part of the family!
rebdownunder

Postby nelz » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:36 am

What do you see when you view the contents of the CD you've burned? If you see a single file, you have burned it incorrectly. See http://www.linuxiso.org/viewdoc.php/howtoburn.html for more info.
nelz
Site admin

Postby youlikeicecream » Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:06 pm

probably written it as a datatrack instead of a RAW binary CD Image, trying opening a saved project and choose ISO filetypes in Nero or whatever you use,

Mike :)
youlikeicecream
LXF regular

Postby rebdownunder » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:39 am

I use Nero; I think I've figured it out. I should have used 'burn image to disk'. I'll have to give it a try and see...I should have known that, but I guess listening to Bill has made me forget to think.... :?
rebdownunder

Postby jjmac » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:40 pm

>>
Xcdroast? I'd use cdrecord/growisofs for the best control and K3b for the best screenshots
:)
>>

Yes,.... xcdroast has been quite interesting, in a way. It seems to insist on scsi, so, in that case it can stay shelved. Poor old legacy X apps (grin) what to do with them (scratch head).

Iv'e been spending all week experimenting with cdrecord and finaly got it to respond, just with the -scanbus -checkdrive and -prcap switches. So i got a small pkt of -rw cd discs to-day, to try some real tests on the week end, very exciting (grin).

Funny thing though ... i was recompiling the kernel in different ways all week. Experimenting with modulal and builtin support for the cdrom device and filesystem, scsi and atapi support etc. Got it to work with builtin support only, but i have been changing the options around so much i could be wrong there. scsi emulation buggered it right up though. cdrecord saw no drive (grin). Now it goes though.

>>
Error: Cannot gain SYS_RAWIO capability.Is cdrecord installed SUID root?
>>

Whether i'm using a root shell or account. On one kernel it was completely ok, i got rid of that message, ... but then i went and deleted it !. Must have gone delete happy at the time hehehe. Not to worry though, it will be worked out, and it is fun. Just gotta stumble on the config i used for the good test.

And there are a few other tools to try out too, such as dvd925, i think it's called. And i haven't heard of "growisofs", so i will have to look into that too :).

There are certainly some interesting comments in cdrecords source, and the error/warning output is a bit miss-leading. But other wise it seems ok, if not somewhat stuck in a 2.4.x time warp. I applied debs unmaintaind dvd patch which seems ok but the program declears it self as "UnOfficial" as a result (grin). And, as it seems a key is needed for the dvd version of cdrecord ... i think i stay with the patched version in that case.

The source appears to use a 64k buffer too, in terms of the program ... seems a bit small for modern conditions ... the pioneer i have states that it has 2000k available.

I wonder if it is worth increasing the value from 64k in the source to some other higher value, like 1000k ???. Something else to test i guess. Having lots of fun, regardless though and am looking forward to putting it to some good use :)

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:02 pm

Growisofs is part of dvd+rw-tools, it's basically cdrecord for DVDs without the anal-retentive device naming. It also passing ISO building commands through to mkisofs, so no need to mess with ISO images or pipes any more.
nelz
Site admin

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs