Back Issues

Comments and suggestions about this site

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Back Issues

Postby redbranch » Tue May 13, 2008 3:30 pm

I am becoming a little frustrated using the site today. I find navigation on this site poor.
I am looking for a list of back issues with pictures of the front cover + contents. This doesn't seem to exist. I needed it because I have not received at least one issue in my subscription and I needed to check how many issues were not delivered.
I also wanted to buy the 'Code it!' magazine as I do not have a W H Smiths here in my part of Ireland. It says 'order it now' but there is no link? and it does not seem to be for sale on the W H Smith website.
I think it might be time for a new website - this current one does not do a good job of selling the magazine.
thanks,
jonny
redbranch

Postby ethernet » Tue May 13, 2008 7:18 pm

I'm nearly positive there's a comprehensive index of each issue on the DVD.

The LXF Specials only seem to be available in the UK. The odd one appears on eBay though. I empathise -- I would have loked to get a few of the specials too but we're in the same boat :cry:
ethernet
LXF regular

Postby brian » Tue May 13, 2008 7:28 pm

Look to the left hand side of the page. Main Menu -> Things to see -> Mag Archives or http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/archives/

Can't help with the specials
brian

Postby M-Saunders » Wed May 14, 2008 8:56 am

Hi Jonny,

Sorry to hear you couldn't find it. Do you have any recommendations that would make it easier? The Archives are linked to in three places on every page (top bar, left-hand menu and mag pic on the right), plus there's a Back issues link on the left, which contains a further link to the Archives. But if you have any suggestions, please let me know!

Mike
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby redbranch » Wed May 14, 2008 10:41 am

Oh, I've just worked it out. I had previously been clicking the archives link and getting frustrated as I was only seeing one edition (the latest). I've just realised that there is a link at the top of that page i.e. '<< LXF 104'
Maybe if this was a little more prominent or a drop box title 'Issue Number' alongside the author, article type and search boxes.
The archive section of the site is potentially the core of the site ('killer app'?) so it should be really easy to use.
I also think the whole site could do with prettifying (is that a word?) to make it as usable as possible and hopefully attract potential converts. At the moment it looks a bit cluttered, texty, geeky?
A shop section might also be worth pursuing with branded merchandise, special magazines and subscriptions. I would definitely be buying the specials if I could.
redbranch

Postby M-Saunders » Wed May 14, 2008 10:54 am

Good point on the issue navigation bit -- I'll make it a more prominent box and add a drop-down list!

Cheers,
Mike
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Tue May 20, 2008 10:10 am

Righto, I've updated the Mag Archives section with the above change (drop-down list to select an issue).

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby Dutch_Master » Tue May 20, 2008 10:47 am

Works for me. But as I have a fairly large number of LXF issues on the shelf, I don't think I need it though ;)
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:12 pm

Have you considered making the LXF Specials more widely available? We seem to be getting quite a few posts from people who would like to buy them but have no way of obtaining them. I assume you have some sort of deal with WH Smith but think of all the potential sales you are missing, to say nothing of the frustration you are causing would-be purchasers.
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:32 pm

Indeed, the specials could be advertised on the front page, with a link to a place for on-line purchase.

In fact, I am somewhat surprised at how rarely the specials receive any noticeable promotion.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Return to This Website