Xp kernal changed by livedisc???

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Xp kernal changed by livedisc???

Postby OliverB » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:51 pm

Ok i really need help i was checking out this months distro (mint sexiest distro ever) and then when i was done exploring i shutdown the computer etc. Upon restarting the computer it just hung and took about 10mins to boot to logon screen now the computer is running as fast as a dead snail up hill(running xp) and AVG is saying theres been a change to the win32 kernal aswell as what appear to be 2 more important files... Whats going on???? and how can i right this wrong before i am murderd by my dads friend(i.t. tech who hates linux with a passion red)
OliverB

RE: Xp kernal changed by livedisc???

Postby M-Saunders » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:41 pm

Yipes. I've never heard of anything like that before. Did you install Mint, or just run it in Live mode? Because in the latter case, it shouldn't touch your hard drive at all.

Perhaps your system got infected in the Windows session before you booted Linux, so when you next ran Windows you got the news from AVG -- but it's not a Linux thing. That's one possibility anyway...

Mike
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby OliverB » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:07 pm

Ok that rules out it being the live disc thankyou! :) And all i did was run the disc in safe graphics mode i can't see why it would have touched the hard drive. Only thing that i could think it could be is when i went on mint i went on the net and i got this problem from there? The only thing is that it only occurred after the session with the live disc. All it says on afg is that the shell, user and kernal have been modified... Thanks again.

Oliver
OliverB

Postby M-Saunders » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:17 pm

Is your Windows installation set to perform auto updates in the background?

Viruses aren't a problem on Linux, so it won't be to do with going online.

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby OliverB » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:29 pm

Yes it is set to perform auto updates, why? Do you think somthing got through the port that thats open to? Just trying to keep my mind off these thing as my dad has rung his i.t. tech friend who no doubt will blame me for this.
OliverB

Postby MartyBartfast » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:58 am

All it says on afg is that the shell, user and kernal have been modified... Thanks again.

Well if you've got Windows update turned on it's quite likely that an update has modified these items, and AVG has just spotted it when you rebooted, it's probably nothing sinister at all.

Do a full virus scan, to check for sure, then don't forget to mention to your Dad that if you were running Linux full time you wouldn't be worrying about this anyway :wink:
I have been touched by his noodly appendage.
MartyBartfast
LXF regular

Postby Diagmato » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:18 pm

Perhaps also try different virus scanners - on my aunts pc, Nortons reported no viruses, yet AVG found 8 dialers, and 3 trojans. Both were the most up to date versions. Even then, ESET (Nod32) found even more (and extremely quickly, doesnt hog the resources like a lot of virus scanners).
My Blog

Micro$oft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the full house
Diagmato
LXF regular

Postby dwjs1974 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:47 am

Windows update changes these files. I have opensuse installed on my machine it never touches windoz. But the windows update will.
Great Scott this is heavy.
Opensuse11.1 1gig ram
Dave the Rave
dwjs1974
LXF regular

Return to Other OS