Windows server 2008 launch yesterday

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Windows server 2008 launch yesterday

Postby donoreo » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:02 pm

I was at the Toronto launch event. The keynote was done by Microsoft COO Kevin Turner. No hopping up and down, no chairs being thrown, no sweaty pits :)

Server 2008 has some cool new features. One of which is called Server Core. If you install this, you get the same as logging into a system with just X and TWM installed, you get a basic screen and a command prompt. They were running this in a 512MB virtual machine for the demos. It ran quite well, they set it up as a read only domain controller. Running dcpromo did not take that long and the system seemed pretty speedy (the VM was running on a Server 2008 hyper V system that was a quad core system with 32 GB RAM). The read only DC is a great new thing too. Configure and send one of these out to a branch office and no one can dick around with it.

They gave us lunch (turkey wrap, banana, cookie and drink) and a copy of server 2008, visual studio 2008 and a beta of SQL 2008.
I cannot deny anything that I did not say.
donoreo
LXF regular

RE: Windows server 2008 launch yesterday

Postby nelz » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:08 pm

A quad core with 32GB RAM? it's nice to know that the system requirements haven't increased that much ;-)
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Dutch_Master » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:12 pm

K. Turner != S. Balmer! :twisted: :mrgreen:

Tell me, are any of those 'new' features missing from a Linux box, say 5 yrs ago? Btw, that's one heck of a piece of hardware to run some demos: a VM that needs 512 MB, a quad-core CPU and 32 GB system RAM... :shock: :roll: Take a good look at the fineprint in the EULA for the 'free' software you've got. Knowing M$ it won't be 'free' for long :P
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby gerdesj » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:11 pm

Ho hum. Novell had read only replicas in eDirectory years ago. Oh and that was on P60 grade hardware with 32Mb RAM.

... and they had filtered replicas and a rich object schema and a proper replication scheme that doesn't use a glorified file replicator and and and ...

A NetWare server never had more than a basic console. Only recently has a weird java based X appeared on the soon to die NetWare 6.5. Now you get a SuSE based thing called OES2 - Hoorah! I'm pretty sure that has a console and a basic X windows on it 8)
gerdesj

Postby donoreo » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:51 pm

I was not clear on the machine I guess, the quad core was running all the VMs (several full blown servers, the core one, and at least one vista and XP workstation.

I have a dual quad core here running VMWare. 15 VMs currently running, 21 configured.
I cannot deny anything that I did not say.
donoreo
LXF regular

Postby M0PHP » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:48 pm

Basic command line is all well and good if there is adequate power behind it (eg. BASH) and secure and adequate remote access to it (eg. OpenSSH). Does Win2K8 have this?
Image Image Image
M0PHP
LXF regular

Return to Other OS