Bad advertising choice?

Comments and suggestions about this site

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Bad advertising choice?

Postby nelz » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:14 am

When I spoke to Jason Clifford about the service, it was defitely a case of you having an account with one ISP or the other, bought through UKFSN. That was eighteen months ago, so maybe things have changed.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby kevanf1 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:02 am

UKLinux has been mentioned earlier in this thread. Well I took a look. Sorry but I'm very disappointed due to their prices. They are way higher than many others for what seems less bandwidth. £22+ a month for ADSL? I simply cannot afford that. I've been hoping that ADSL will come down to the £15 a month mark - I'm not on cable so anything like that is totally out of the question - and even that price is stretching my budget a big way. The fact is that the present government keeps on banging on about how every household will soon have access to broadband internet. Yeah great, access. It doesn't mean that we can all afford it though. Why don't they step in and take a proper look at the BT monopoly for the local loop. Obviously for the foreseeable future I will have to remain on good old 56k dial up while the world whizzes past :(
kevanf1
LXF regular

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Bad advertising choice?

Postby jamiet » Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:47 am

kevanf1 wrote:UKLinux has been mentioned earlier in this thread. Well I've been hoping that ADSL will come down to the £15 a month mark - I'm not on cable so anything like that is totally out of the question - and even that price is stretching my budget a big way. :(

Broadband has come down in price. I am with http://www.f2s.co.uk and they do upto 2Mbit connection with 2GB download cap for £14.99 per month.

I am more than happy with them (I opted for 2MBit and 10 GB download)and have never had a problem using linux on their network (allbeit I use a router/modem so they never see my side of the network :) ).

Look them up, if you decide to go with them just quote my username during registration (jamiet :D ).

HTH,

JamieT
jamiet

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Bad advertising choice?

Postby mugstar » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:19 pm

The catch here is the 2GB /month cap. 2GB is OK if you want to use mail and browse the web. If you want to keep a system up to date (via urpmi, or similar), and download new packages, maybe try a new distro from an ISO torrent, 2GB is gonna get you nowhere. I've pulled down the latest stable FreeBSD and Kubuntu in the last three days - roughly 75% of a 2GB monthly cap.

Compare like with like: UKFSN's prices are good for an *uncapped* service.

You get what you pay for.
mugstar
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:15 pm

I have a limited budget but wanted uncapped access so went with zen they don't seem to have a problem with linux, indeed they send all the necessary info for a knowledgable or near such like me to set up modem/router :wink:
Dick
indeed installed and upgraded ubuntu/kubuntu and I hate to think how many photos I sent to friends and family but way past a Gb :roll:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby nelz » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:05 pm

I use Zen's 2Mb service. They are good, if a little expensive. But you get what you pay for.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby kevanf1 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:54 pm

Ok, I can go with the 'you get what you pay for' idea. So what about V21? I've just seen an advert for them doing 512kbps broadband at £10 a month with no cap. That would be fine for me as I don't tend to download a great deal of massive files anyway. But are V21 reliable? They certainly don't mind you connecting more than one PC to the connection (through a switch and router of course) while other ISPs frown on it. This is within my budget but I'm wary with it being so cheap. Cheaper in fact than I'm paying for dial up!!!!
kevanf1
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:12 pm

for the first three months thereafter £16.99 and then there is the signup fee £69.99 for monthly contract £58.75for annual
towy71

Postby kevanf1 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:59 pm

Where have you found out about the first three months bit? I didn't see anything when I went onto their site. The signup fee I believe covers the ADSL activation with BT. Most ADSL providers also have some sort of sign up fee. I'm not spoiling for an argument I would genuinely like to know about the three month thing as I'm seriously considering going with V21.
kevanf1
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:50 pm

towy71

Postby andychannelle » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:21 pm

I've used Telewest for the last four years (I think - I'm having wine).When the engineer arrived, I just let him watch me install all the stuff. He made one call to register the MAC address, and that was it. I've had two issues and when I phoned the help line, I just pretended to have Windows XP and used ping and traceroute from the console when the person said "do Run and type cmd'. And now they don't even need to register individual MAC addresses. No caps either, which is important when all the new distros get released.
andychannelle
LXF regular

Postby kevanf1 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:58 am

The only problem being that we don't have any cable anywhere near to us. I think the nearest is about 12 miles away in W'ton.

I've been told of some bad reports about V21 now so I'm scrapping those plans. With the advent of faster and faster BB (ADSL2) I suspect prices will tumble with all the providers. They will want to start pulling in more customers who are, like me, still on dial up. I hope :)
kevanf1
LXF regular

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Bad advertising choice?

Postby ukfsn » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:30 pm

mugstar wrote:The catch here is the 2GB /month cap. 2GB is OK if you want to use mail and browse the web. If you want to keep a system up to date (via urpmi, or similar), and download new packages, maybe try a new distro from an ISO torrent, 2GB is gonna get you nowhere. I've pulled down the latest stable FreeBSD and Kubuntu in the last three days - roughly 75% of a 2GB monthly cap.

Compare like with like: UKFSN's prices are good for an *uncapped* service.

Well UKFSN now offers "capped" services in addition to our uncapped ones.

We offer pay as you go services from £14.98 per month for a connection up to 2Mb/s.

From £19.99 per month UKFSN offers a maximum speed (up to 2Mb connection) with 30GB of daytime and 300GB of evening and weekend usage.

We still offer the unlimited ADSL services.

The new services come with 24/7 phone support.

At the moment UKFSN is offering free migration to our ADSL service and free upgrades to our existing users who want to switch to the new services.
ukfsn

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Bad advertising choice?

Postby CJLL » Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:04 pm

nelz wrote:When I spoke to Jason Clifford about the service, it was defitely a case of you having an account with one ISP or the other, bought through UKFSN. That was eighteen months ago, so maybe things have changed.

ukfsn have switched to enta.net and boy do they suck!

It's taken over a month to get me online (BT's fault of cause), but enta.net's lack of communication hasn't helped. :x
CJLL
LXF regular

Previous

Return to This Website