slow acces due to adverts

Comments and suggestions about this site

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

slow acces due to adverts

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:28 am

Real problems accessing the site this AM 13/10/2007, seems there is a problem with this and other websites that use the same advertising providers.
BBC is ok for example.
Turning on Adblock plus cured it :-).
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

RE: slow acces due to adverts

Postby Rhakios » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:40 am

It's an unfortunate consequence of adverts that they can nearly cripple sites. As if it isn't bad enough having jiggling, flashing images all over the screen, the fact that they seem to fed in preference to the actual content is a real annoyance. It is small wonder ad blocking has become so popular.

I might point out that I don't bother to try blocking static or text ads on sites, where they mostly don't interfere with the page loading. Sometimes I even look at them.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:57 am

It seems a more general problem than I thought.. forecast fox keeps failing,
Even the BBC site is dragging, maybe its local cable access that is the problem.
i thought it was the advert feeds because it was only the adverts that seemd slow.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby nordle » Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:59 am

I've noticed that home and work connections have been shaky over the last month......not very scientific...
I think, therefore I compile
nordle
LXF regular

Re: slow acces due to adverts

Postby guy » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:14 pm

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:Turning on Adblock plus cured it.

You mean you ever turn it off? Why, for Heaven's sake?

Besides the stupid sites with useful content in Flash, the only ones that irritate me much these days are the few that do very flashy animated gifs on the same web server so I have to block them individually.
"Klinger, do you know how many zoots were killed to make that one suit?" — BJ Hunnicutt
guy
LXF regular

RE: Re: slow acces due to adverts

Postby pootman » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:45 pm

Sunspots.

When the network's slow, it's always sunspots.
This signature has been produced using traditional writing methods on behalf of The Campaign For Real Slogans.
To enjoy this signature at its best, adjust your monitor's resolution to 1024x768.
pootman
LXF regular

Postby Dutch_Master » Sat Oct 13, 2007 4:57 pm

Errmm, doesn't that apply only to wireless (radio) connections? IFAIK most networks, at least the internet backbones, are wired, even glass-fiber'd ;)

Anyway, today I wanted to register for an upcoming OpenSource event here in Holland. Unfortunately, the site where to register send me directly to the Adobe Flash downloadpage.... :evil: :evil: So I send them an email (I had an address on a flyer) telling them frankly that unless I can register on a flash-free page, I won't be attending. We'll see... (no I don't have flash, I don't want it nor will I install it to visit some website. If the owner of such site doesn't allow non-flash users to visit his site, he's very rude and I don't want to do business with rude people :x)
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:57 pm

I think pootman is referring to the sunspots he's seeing before his eyes, due to the unseasonably fine weather they've been having, they're not used to it up there. ;)

Does the site work with Gnash?
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Dutch_Master » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:27 pm

I've seen the weather report, he'll be back to normal soon as rain is forecast ;)

Anyway, as flash is almost exclusively (ab)used for ad's and other crap I don't use gnash as well. No flash=no annoying banners they force you to acknowledge :) Do I mis much? Not really, 'cause if some bloke determines that his message isn't captivating enough for a normal webpage and therefor package it in some flash garbage, I'm not interested ;) But that's just my opinion...
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Re: slow acces due to adverts

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:17 pm

guy wrote:
wyliecoyoteuk wrote:Turning on Adblock plus cured it.

You mean you ever turn it off? Why, for Heaven's sake?

Well, I just moved from suse 10.2 to 10.3 , and when you install it, it is disabled by default.

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Return to This Website