Linux on windows Vertual pc

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Re: RE: Re: Microsoft VPC Linux support...

Postby Ram » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:50 pm

phil1ooo wrote:sled came in vmware tools,You know I haven't been able to do anything on this so called great linux system due to this fact,,I installed Suse in vmware it then told me I had to install vmware tools .

And as I said you install tools for windows not linux as that the environment your running vm from.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby phil1ooo » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:45 pm

[And as I said you install tools for windows not linux as that the environment your running vm from.[/quote]

OK the vmware tools I downloaded came from the vmware toolbar and I have gone and looked for other vmware tools independently but it just reverts me bact to this one.

PAUL mate:,you go right ahead a give me that headache if you think your good enough to help solve this problem as I don't get insulted or affended by a few words,herd it all before so bring it on mate your more than welcome i'm all ears and it would be very much appreciated beleive me.

As for you others that just agree with him and nothing else,get a life.
phil1ooo

RE: Re: RE: Re: Microsoft VPC Linux support...

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:56 am

Phil1ooo:
Sorry, 1sf (troll) is the Linuxformat resident threadjacker, just ignore him (and the banter that he attracts ;-)
Installing applications in Linux is actually easier than Windows, as long as you use the package manager for your distro .
Microsoft (and others) tried to get people to install stuff using the add/remove programs install manager, but most people and most software just ignore it.
On Linux, that is not an option.
I have seen the advice given you on another thread about this link.
follow it carefully and it will help.

.rpm files are not .exe files or whatever, they are packages of files and settings that need to be read and installed using a package manager. YAST (Yet Another Setup Tool). is the Suse version of the control panel in Windows.

Suse 10.1 actually has the install process locked down a bit too tight, 10.2 is much better ( I use it all the time).
One way around the repository problem, if you can't find the .rpm that you want in one, is to make a local folder for .rpms, and add that to yast as a repository.
I am sure when you get to know your way around, you will be fine.:-)
Last edited by wyliecoyoteuk on Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: Re: Microsoft VPC Linux support...

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:13 am

Have you tried this? is this where you get permission denied?
[quote]The installers for VMware Tools for Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, and NetWare
guest operating systems are installed with VMware Workstation as ISO image files.
When you choose VM>Install VMware Tools from the VMware Workstation menu
bar, Workstation temporarily connects the virtual machine’s first virtual CDâ€
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby 1slipperyfish » Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:02 pm

PAUL mate:,you go right ahead a give me that headache if you think your good enough to help solve this problem as I don't get insulted or affended by a few words

:? :? :?
you seem to as i was agreeing with you and you're arguing with me??????
paul
i am a follower of the culture

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby nelz » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:45 pm

Ram wrote:And as I said you install tools for windows not linux as that the environment your running vm from.

VMware-tools is installed in the guest operating system, so the Linux version is correct. However, despite what VMware tell you, it is not required. I run several Linux guest OSes without vmware-tools installed.

However, phil1ooo, you are going to have to recognise that this is a peer support forums where abuse of those trying to help is even less welcome than on a paid support line. Don't expect the people you are abusing to go out of their way to help you.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Ram » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:00 pm

nelz wrote:
Ram wrote:And as I said you install tools for windows not linux as that the environment your running vm from.

VMware-tools is installed in the guest operating system, so the Linux version is correct. However, despite what VMware tell you, it is not required. I run several Linux guest OSes without vmware-tools installed.

However, phil1ooo, you are going to have to recognise that this is a peer support forums where abuse of those trying to help is even less welcome than on a paid support line. Don't expect the people you are abusing to go out of their way to help you.

I'll stand corrected, it a while since I installed Linux into a VM and I'm sure it was an exe that loaded the tools, ah well the grey cells dying off.

I think I also said they where not needed too.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Previous

Return to Other OS