This week on benscomputer.no-ip.org

Non-computer-related chit-chat

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Do you think speeding alone can cause accidents?

Poll ended at Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:27 am

Yes
60%
No, but it can be a contributing factor
40%

Total votes : 5

Postby shifty_ben » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:29 pm

Thats got to be the worst excuse I have ever heard, if you know you don't have ABS then you drive a bit further behind ;) I do a lot of mileage myself, and thankfully thus far no-one has actually hit me though I have had a few problems with other drivers.

Although its probably not all down to me, i would like to credit my survival to my defensive driving, my issue is that I always feel safer leaving idiots behind than dropping back behind them.

I can just about remember the days when you wouldnt dream of jumping a red light, now people do it regularly, there seem to be a lot more spaceships on the UK roads recently as well, and they all seem to have the same bass beat deafening their drivers!
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby phorneker » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:28 pm

When it comes to speeding, I see a lot of it on the expressways in the Chicago area. Most notably are the Dan Ryan (in Chicago) and the Borman expressway (in Lake County, IN USA). It is the norm to drive ten miles over the speed limit here.
All words found in the Merriam Webster Dictionary including "and", "the", "it", "by", "or" and "not" are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation. ;-)
phorneker

Postby 1slipperyfish » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:18 pm

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:i actually meant if you go into the back of someone who is doing 70 mph :roll:

wouldn't it put them off their driving/be counted as a lewd act???
paul
i am a follower of the culture

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:04 pm

1slipperyfish (troll) wrote:
wyliecoyoteuk wrote:i actually meant if you go into the back of someone who is doing 70 mph :roll:

wouldn't it put them off their driving/be counted as a lewd act???
paul

Yes, we can always count on 1sf (troll) to lower the tone below the usual bottom of the barrel.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby 1slipperyfish » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:39 pm

paul
i am a follower of the culture

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby nelz » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:24 pm

I thought this thread would be safe from his interruptions, as he's not old enough to drive :P
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Rhakios » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:35 pm

I thought he was supposed to be bothering the Linux questions forums. Surely he can't have been booted off already?

Then again...
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby M-Saunders » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:16 am

"Do you think speeding alone can cause accidents?"

No, but speeding with other people can.

:-)

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby shifty_ben » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:23 pm

I was just waiting for someone to make that joke :D
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby kilikopele » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:16 am

It's funny, when I used to live in Minneapolis, I used to drive fast because everybody drove fast and more than that I drove aggressive because everyone else drove aggressive.

Funny thing is, now I'm one of the most calm ones. I live in an area where the traffic is less congested and is, at it's least courteous, still a cakewalk in comparison, so I really have no reason for excessive speed. I used to be that guy who creeped up at a stop light so I could jump off ahead of the person next to me and be the first one to have to stop at the next light. Now I laugh at that person. It's all a matter of perspective.

I can empathize with phornecker as I make trips to Chicago on occasion. It was there that I watched two cabs get in a collision because they were racing off a stoplight to reach a fare. Then blocks later (I had my 35mm, so I was walking) I was almost run over by another cab driver. It seems he needed to make a right turn (remember, we drive on the right) and there was a guy in front of him stopped at a light who was going straight. Rather than waiting for the light to change so he could make his turn, he decided to bolt up on the sidewalk to get around him. I was staring through my lens mounted on a tri-pod, so I didn't even see him coming. I just felt the breeze and saw his bumper as he passed.

phornecker, this was on the "loop" down near printers row. Know the area?
kilikopele
LXF regular

Previous

Return to Off Topic