How do you copy a font in Linux?

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

How do you copy a font in Linux?

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:09 am

There is a nice font in the Sun Java Desktop System which came as a live disk with LXF 63D (February 2005), called "Thorndale". It is the default font for the Sun Star Office, which is part of that distribution. I want to copy it and put it in my Mandrake which I have installed on my PC, but haven't figured out how to do it yet. Ay ideas?

RE: How do you copy a font in Linux?

Postby towy71 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:10 pm

Thorndale is a commercial font and can be found at ITCFonts.com or buy a copy of Star office ;-)
Dick
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:02 pm

Fonts are stored as files in Linux just as they are in other OSes (*.ttf if it is a truetype font).

They are normally somewhere under '/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/'; you could search for them using tools such as 'kfind', 'find' or 'locate'.

Fonts can be installed on Mandrake using KDE's font installer in the KDE Control Centre (kcontrol).

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:04 pm

I know how to install the font if I can find it. I have difficulty finding it on the live disk. I have tried "find / fonts", "find / thorndale", "find / *.ttf". But each time I get: "No such file or directory". Where do you think they have hidden it?

Re: RE: How do you copy a font in Linux?

Postby davecs » Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:00 pm

Anonymous wrote:Fonts are stored as files in Linux just as they are in other OSes (*.ttf if it is a truetype font).

They are normally somewhere under '/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/'; you could search for them using tools such as 'kfind', 'find' or 'locate'.

Some systems store fonts at

/usr/local/share/fonts
/usr/share/fonts/
or even
/usr/share/local/fonts

and the file name is not necessarily the same as the font name. Try copying ALL the *.ttf files to a personal directory on your hard drive and then check them using your installed system.
davecs
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: How do you copy a font in Linux?

Postby nelz » Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:23 pm

You are using incorrect syntax for find.
Code: Select all
find / thorndale

means find all files in the directorys / and thorndale. You need
Code: Select all
find / -name '*.ttf'

Read the find man page for more information.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

RE: Re: RE: How do you copy a font in Linux?

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:43 pm

Thank you nellz. You were right about the syntgax of find. I am a Linux newbie, and the man pages don't make a lot of sense to me. I had, however, eventually found it by just looking around in the most likely places. Then I had a job copying it, because it wouldn't let me! But eventually I figure out a way to do it.

Return to Help!