I disagree with The Ultimate Distro Test because...

Non-computer-related chit-chat

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

My favourite distro didn't win.
14%
My favourite distro wasn't in it.
14%
Actually, it was pretty much what i expected to see.
14%
I'm waiting to see what 1sf (troll) thought before i disagree with him.
57%

Total votes : 7

Postby pootman » Thu May 31, 2007 4:35 pm

An antidote to the 'serious' discussion posted elsewhere. Get it out of your system. You know you want to.
This signature has been produced using traditional writing methods on behalf of The Campaign For Real Slogans.
To enjoy this signature at its best, adjust your monitor's resolution to 1024x768.
pootman
LXF regular

RE: I disagree with The Ultimate Distro Test because...

Postby Rhakios » Thu May 31, 2007 7:36 pm

Actually, it was pretty much what i expected to see.

Suggests someone who knows they are going to disagree with what is in the magazine before they even buy it. :)
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby pootman » Thu May 31, 2007 9:25 pm

You confused me for a while there, because I meant this to be the "I find no fault with the result" option.
Now that you mention it though, bearing in mind the context of the question, it does sound a bit like automatic disagreement.

So I guess we know where paul's vote is going...
This signature has been produced using traditional writing methods on behalf of The Campaign For Real Slogans.
To enjoy this signature at its best, adjust your monitor's resolution to 1024x768.
pootman
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Thu May 31, 2007 10:57 pm

1sf (troll) is devastated that Mandriva didn't win, that's why we haven't seen him around much lately. ;)

Or... he could be in serious training for the Blackpool run.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby 1slipperyfish » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:46 pm

no i can't push myself/foot hard enough to get the miles in :roll: hopefully i'll just do a 10k in july and then hopefully do the blackpool in october <fingers crossed smillie>
i hope mandriva won as it's the worlds best distro, i just hope it wasn't ubuntu <yawn> it might be the second best but all lxf 93 was ubuntu<yawn> ubuntu this <drone>
i have been busy trying to get mandriva as i want it as we are now 96.4% linux ( i had to go into windows to scan some documents( i am trying to get the scan part of psc working this weekend))
paul
i am a follower of the culture

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby Rhakios » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:27 pm

No, Mandriva didn't win. Ubuntu did :D

1slipperyfish (troll) wrote:i have been busy trying to get mandriva as i want it as we are now 96.4% linux

So, somewhat less than a chimpanzee is human then.

"Scan part of psc"? No, I won't ask.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby 1slipperyfish » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:34 pm

since you're asking i can't get my hp 1410psc to scan anything?? i can print ok and have installed sane but no scanning :shock:
paul

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby Dutch_Master » Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:22 pm

No, he _didn't_ ask, so why are you whining on about something that has nothing to do with the poll whatshowever... :evil: :evil:
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:27 pm

Thread-jacking is 1sf (troll)'s principal past-time.

Meanwhile, on topic: articles like the Ultimate Distro Test, while providing some useful information about a variety of Linux distributions, are somewhat misleading in their conclusions simply because not everyone's requirements and personal preferences are the same. The reason the article pits them against one another, as if in competition, is to generate more interest and to provoke a stronger reaction from the reader, hence we have the thread elsewhere on the board inviting us to express our own opinions.

Personally, I enjoyed the item for its information content, but disagree with its conclusion as I have no wish to use a Gnome desktop ;)
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby 1slipperyfish » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:05 pm

i've said it before and i'll say it again gnome is for gays!!!!!!!!!!
kde forever 8)
paul

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby Dutch_Master » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:13 pm

You really are pushing it, hè? Carry on like this and one day you'll find you can't access the LXF website at all... 'Cause the LXF team had enough of the constant stream of complains about you and kicked you off indefinitely.
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby 1slipperyfish » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:28 pm

i don't know much about you dm but where i come from (southpark fans) gay means crap, therefore gays are crap people, whether a man likes other men(as my best friend does) or a woman likes another woman are neither my concern or my business, i am sorry if i offended any gay(likes same sex) linuxers but that wasn't my intention
paul

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby pootman » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:51 pm

1slipperyfish (troll) wrote:i don't know much about you dm but where i come from (southpark fans) gay means crap

Who would've guessed it. Thought-provoking etymological comment from an icthyoid.
I've noticed some friends/colleagues use it just as 1sf (troll) has described it, none have ever shown any homophobic tendencies, and two of them are self-confessed lesbians. Maybe it's postmodernism, maybe it's ennui, but hasn't 'gay pride' become blase?

And on a more linuxy note, can anyone tell me how to enable right-alt+e to get an e with an accent so i can type blase properly?
pootman
LXF regular

Postby Dutch_Master » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:01 pm

I'm a Gnomy (and definitely not gay!), so dunno about KDE. Go to the Gnome Control Center, then Keyboard -> Layout Options and configure as you like. I had to settle on the left-win key, combined with the ' and " keystrokes to get é, ë and with the ` key also è :)
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:19 pm

I usually just use kcharselect for accented and other odd characters.

As for gay being used to mean crap, why not, it isn't allowed its original meaning any more.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Next

Return to Off Topic