Ben SV650 beaten by chav

Non-computer-related chit-chat

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby Gordon » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:26 pm

I rate my current bike, Yam FJ1200, as the best I've ever had. Solid on the road, 35-40 mpg, pulls smoothly from 30 mph in top gear. The ONLY problem with it is the weight (530lb), my foot slipped once when trying to get it on the centre stand and I got a strained back from trying to pick it up again.

Nordle: which area are you in? I'm in Bradford, Yorkshire (God's own county) and some of the runs up ere are great. Kirby Lonsdale (Devils Bridge) to Hawes is an absolute beauty, narrow single track roads twisting all over the place and constantly going up and down dale, sheep in road, grit on road, cow muck on road, walkers in road and the occasional farm tractor toddling along at 10 mph, not a fraction of a second to admire the great countryside round there, and takes more concentration than trying to build Linux From Scratch!

There's another one from Squires coffe bar http://www.squires-cafe.co.uk/ (bikers cafe) to the A19 as part of a run to Scarborough. Brill stuff.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent
Gordon
LXF regular

Postby Gordon » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:51 pm

And to get back to the topic of chavs, we have our own version in Bradford. One even had his car taken by police and crushed, not because he was driving dangerously, not because of a lack of licence, insurance or MOT, but because of the complaints from people in the centre of town about the volume of the stereo system as he criused round at 20-30mph!

Now that's what justice should be about!
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent
Gordon
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:04 am

XS250? horrible things, I had one for a few days once. Two strokes are the business, my H1 Kawasaki was great fun (the original model with drum brakes that didn't work :O)
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby shifty_ben » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:19 am

Guess who I ran into last night? I am almost certain it was the same car, pulled the same trick when I got fed up of doing 20 and went to overtake. This time however I've been on the bike for more than 6 hours, and the roads were dry.
Left him behind quite easily :-)

Very impressed with the bike now, the speed change was not in the least bit sluggish.

Just hope it passes it's MOT on Tuesday.

Anyone out there up for a trackday sometime soon? I was thinking Brands Hatch, just an idea at the moment though.
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby bigjohn » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:30 pm

shifty_ben wrote:Guess who I ran into last night? I am almost certain it was the same car, pulled the same trick when I got fed up of doing 20 and went to overtake. This time however I've been on the bike for more than 6 hours, and the roads were dry.
Left him behind quite easily :-)

Very impressed with the bike now, the speed change was not in the least bit sluggish.

Just hope it passes it's MOT on Tuesday.

Anyone out there up for a trackday sometime soon? I was thinking Brands Hatch, just an idea at the moment though.

A person I heard about through a friend at dyslexic CCM, seems to have had a good idea - a smallish paintball gun (not sure but only 5 or 6 paintballs - don't know how it was powered) in a pocket inside his cut-off.

It would appear that 3 to 4 paint balls onto the windscreen of a car hassling you, do the trick, oil/wax based take some time to clean off - and they (apparently) stop in a hurry to try (you might need a number plate the size of a matchbox though).

Of course I couldn't possibly condone such behaviour. I don't need too, chav+"A reg" fiesta with big speakers, alloys, noisy exhaust Vs. elderly 6X2 Daf tractor pulling foreign registered trailer with about 28 tonnes of paper.

no contest. They scratch my paint, I kill their car (possibly them, if the trailer happens to be one of the french ones fitted with lollipop sticks for "under slung" anti collision bars - the aforementioned 28 tonnes of paper + 8 tonnes of trailer going over "his" bonnet = bad day :D (though if I happen to be on my FJ12, I can piss over most of them with that usually).

Ah well.

regards

John

p.s. Oh and yes I spend many (not happy) hours on A14 during the week - anywhere between Ipswich and the Cathorpe interchange (not Felixstowe - we don't "do" containers).
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits
bigjohn
LXF regular

Postby shifty_ben » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:13 pm

Oh and yes I spend many (not happy) hours on A14 during the week - anywhere between Ipswich and the Cathorpe interchange (not Felixstowe - we don't "do" containers).

Strange I quite enjoy my daily jaunt up the A14, but then I suppose my loud exhaust (guess what I failed my MOT on) probably wakes the idiots out of their slumber, I don't get too many issues. There is always one or two of course, but as they are too busy to see my indicators I use hand signals :-D

Interesting though, its the 'older' drivers I seem to get more problems from, can't quite understand how the A14 can make things quite so backwards
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:53 pm

I can't believe a bike that only does 35-40 mpg.
My X-type estate averages 42 mpg, (now that they've replaced the EGR valve, the air intake temperature sensor and the injectors), and it has a kerb weight of 3311 lb!
And there was I thinking bikes were more environmentally friendly!
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby shifty_ben » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:36 am

Generally they are, but its not a blanket rule

Take into account we spend far less time sat idling in traffic as well ;)
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:17 am

shifty_ben wrote:Generally they are, but its not a blanket rule

Take into account we spend far less time sat idling in traffic as well ;)

Well, that should increase your mpg, not decrease it, plus you can only carry 2 people and limited luggage.

I can carry 5 people and a lot of stuff, especially if I use the roofbox, and even fully loaded on holiday in France I got 34MPG.

Maybe we should have a "waster" campaign against gas-guzzling bikes.
Sounds like that is the bike is the equivalent of an SUV ;-)

P.S. I don't suppose there are diesel bikes.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby shifty_ben » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:38 am

There is one diesel bike, but it's in development. Kawasaki (I think) are creating one. My MPG is pretty good, though the restrictor makes it slightly less economic.
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby Ram » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:53 am

Diesel power Trike, now there's an idea :) , just wish I had the time and money, come to think of it wish I had the money to put my GSX1100e back on the road :( ah maybe next year.

Yes, Nelz 2 Stroke are the bees knees, having said that I was rather fond of my XS500, love to have another one.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby shifty_ben » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:04 pm

Diesel power Trike, now there's an idea Smile , just wish I had the time and money, come to think of it wish I had the money to put my GSX1100e back on the road Sad ah maybe next year.

I know someone who built a v8 trike, was very nice though I partially attribute my quality of hearing to being in the garage whilst he was tuning and testing it.
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:05 pm

They reviewed a diesel powered motorbike on Top Gear years ago (when it was actually an informative programme about motor vehicles, rather than being a televised lad-mag), IIRC it was made in Inidia and the motorbike reviewer had to gently persuaded, with the aid of a boxing glove on the end of a stick, to get on the thing and try it out. He even said that it had some good points.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Ram » Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:32 pm

Just a quick google and I found this
here

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:34 pm

well, it seems if you want be green, buy a diesel bike :-)

I think we should consider increasing motorbike road tax accordingly.

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic