I'm spending more time in PC-BSD, do I need a slap?

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

RE: Re: RE: I

Postby jjmac » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:43 pm

super_tux wrote:
>>
Is this at all normal or do I need taking outside and given a slap to bring me round to my senses?
>>

It probably is normal, as far as the concept can go with out a dedicated thread to discuss all of the possible variant implications. Generally dangerous teritory to get into though. Especially if any of my relatives are involved in the conversation.

super_tux wrote:
>>
Does anyone else use it regularly, or have anything good or bad to say about it?
>>

Iv'e had FreeBSD in at one time, and have been meaning to do it again for quite a while. I found the 'man' pages far more explanitory than those in Linux. And the way the developers said basically, their focus is to produce a secure mature operating system environment and don't particually care if people like it or not. So don't bother us with feed back along the lines of 'couldn't you make it a bit more like windows please'. Very refreshing :)
I also liked the way that they suggested that a secure system should never have installed any program thats designed to create other programs. Which covers all the compiles and imaging, audio creation sw. You wont find other distros actually mentioning that. Though, it does sound somewhat extreme, i can see their point.

On the possible negatives -=- some thing slippery probably just forgot to mention ...
I don't think it will run windows apps very well natively :)

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Re: RE: Re: RE: I

Postby lslipperyfish » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:37 pm

jjmac wrote:On the possible negatives -=- some thing slippery probably just forgot to mention ...
I don't think it will run windows apps very well natively :)

jm

thats why you ought to run windows, uncle bills distro is the best. :D

Paul.
lslipperyfish

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: I

Postby M0PHP » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:43 pm

You don't have to stick with the PBIs though - you can use the good ol' BSD ports system and compile from source. Once you have the tree, search for packages by running 'find /usr/local/src -name <package>' or wherever the ports are installed to; then the './configure, make and make install' trio and you should be done :)
Image Image Image
M0PHP
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: I

Postby super_tux » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:19 am

Well so far I tried 2 apps earlier this evening (before I went to the pub) and neither work with the ./Configure make... trio. Probably just me, but to be honest I have yet to look into the error messages properly, I rushed it on the way to the pub, you know, there is an order of importance to some things, and when you not been to the pub for a month somehow it takes over the majority of important things... or at least in my life it does....lol

And yes if any of this makes no sense, then you can blame copious amounts of Timothy Taylors Landlord bitter, always interferes with my coordination.. damn stuff ;)
Cheerio, Super_Tux
super_tux
LXF regular

Previous

Return to Other OS