nordle.org

Community announcements - software releases, LUG meetings etc.

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

nordle.org

Postby nordle » Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:13 am

Announcing www.nordle.org :D

nordle.org possibly the most pointless website of all time (except for maybe this or this or even one of these, oh and not forgetting this )

Anyway, I figured that it couldn't do any harm creating a central point for distributing my own itch scratching projects. :)

I posted a while ago that I was working on some sort of script to create re-spins of openSUSE 10.1 which use the latest official updates to overwrite the old rpms, as well as allowing user specified third party rpms and some suse testing packages to be included automagically.

I give you makeSUSEiso

I realise that 99.99% of openSUSE users / future users are unlikely to have a need for something like this, but it's there anyway.

Enjoy! or ignore ;)
nordle
LXF regular

Re: nordle.org

Postby Rhakios » Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:38 pm

nordle wrote:
nordle.org possibly the most pointless website of all time (except for maybe this or this or even one of these, oh and not forgetting this )

In your list of utterly pointless websites, you forgot to mention this one

:D
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

RE: Re: nordle.org

Postby nordle » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:15 am

True :) and not forgetting this one
I think, therefore I compile
nordle
LXF regular

Postby jjmac » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:55 am

Hi,

Just saw your announcement. A nice looking site, i quite like the colours and the lay out, so many sites look the same (PostNuke). I've seen a couple lately that have been put together using a system called 'vBulletin', newish i think, ... nice, but there is a distinct similarity between their appearances. No major deal though. But it is nice to see something different. The black and green, greyish colours work well for me. And i like those little flourish things too, the smaller ones look a bit like little spiders. Very nice :)

I guess it's a good way to maintain a kind of planner/organiser in a way too. Hope it develops over time, i'm sure it __will__ have its' own unique style and not get tricked into some standardisation.

>>
What it is will be explained if it goes ahead, so why mention it if I'm not going to explain what it is? Well, I thought this page needed more than one item on it :)
>>

(grin) :) ... yes ....

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby nordle » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:45 pm

Thanks jjmac, kind words indeed, appreciate it. I really can't take any credit however as the whole site was created with a combination of drupal and a couple of third party plugins, a fantastic CMS!
It took me a massive 30mins to setup :)

I do have a few scripts which I was thinking of posting on there, such as missing library detection for those of us who don't use _proper_ package management software (any slackers in the house? :) )
Also a mencoder wrapper to create <=10 set presets of quality video conversion, to quickly create dvd compatible output or shrink down to mpeg4 at various levels ranging from slow to quick using some funky quantization options without the need to remember millions of switches.
And a few others too, nothing major, bit's n pieces.

The big one, posios, unfortunately is unlikely to appear as it really needs rsync over ssh access (or me to put together some sort of rsync imitation but using ftp), but the hosting company is a free one and is not keen to allow ssh logins.

The other problem is I've got buried at work under a sql svr asp.net project which is taking up a lot of time, which is annoying!! (as its coming home with me too)

Oh yes, and my natural bone idol lazyness doesn't help :)
nordle
LXF regular

Postby nordle » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:26 am

Just a quick update...... ok, so your not bothered, but that isn't going to stop my self indulgence :)

lddcheck Added
For those of us you laugh in the face of dependency checking Package Management Systems, occasionally its good to make sure our system is as perfect as we think it is.
It just loops through some dirs and checks there aren't binaries with missing libs.

makeSUSEiso Updated
This now works with openSUSE 10.2, and I've cut out some of the more complicated and even more pointless features. Essentially, it takes a standard 10.2 ISO, downloads the latest updates to replace the originals, then creates a new ISO.
A bit pointless, but might be useful, especially if handing a copy of this "linux thing" to a mate, they get the most up to date version which is hopefully a little less buggy.

slackmedia Added
This modular script downloads, compiles, packages and installs over 40 applications, libraries and codecs based on, mostly, cvs and svn trees. Asking for trouble, yes, but it seems to work, and its good to live dangerously :)
The applications and libraries are those which allow media to be played, encoded, decoded, transcoded etc
This is specifically for Slackware users, but could very simply and easily be tweaked to cover any distro which can have checkinstall used.

vidconv Added
Video encoding/transcoding can be a little bit of a black art. So I created a simple script so I could pass a few options at runtime and achieve consistent results.
If you consider that mencoder can accept 30 switches for a single command, this only exposes 4 to the user.

I'm not a programmer, not really (some vb, asp + sql). Up until 6mths ago I'd not written a bash script beyond tweaking something in /etc/rc.d
So, yes they are a little pointless, yes the coding is probably terrible, but they worked for me, so if you find them useful, great.

</shameless ego massaging>
nordle
LXF regular

Postby jjmac » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:52 am

lddcheck.sh

Yes, i did one in 2003 for the same reason, curiously, with the same name :) ...
I wouldn't say pointless though, thats the whole thing to scripts really. Stuff like that is good.

jm

jjmac
LXF regular

Re: RE: Re: nordle.org

Postby nordle » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:41 pm

jjmac wrote:lddcheck.sh

Yes, i did one in 2003 for the same reason, curiously, with the same name

It wasn't this one by any chance was it?

A popular name, I guess it "does what it says on the tin"
nordle
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: Re: nordle.org

Postby jjmac » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:34 am

No, there go my dreams of retiring in patent heaven ...

It was this,

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh

set -e

if [ $1 == "-h" ]; then
  echo "Check library availability. jm December 2003."
  echo -e "Must be run from directory above, makes no file type checks...\n"
  echo -e "Usage: ]$ lddcheck.sh <outfile_name>"
  exit 8
fi

echo -e "Check library availability. jm December 2003.\n"

for f in bin/*
  do
  echo "        ldd $f"
  if [ $f != "bin/ldd" ]; then
     ldd $f 2>&1 |tee -a $1
     echo "" >> $1
     sleep 1
  fi
  echo

done

I'd just change 'bin' to 'sbin' manually. Lots of fun though :)

jm

jjmac
LXF regular

Return to Announcements