Gentoo 2005.0 dualboot ++

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Gentoo 2005.0 dualboot ++

Postby terje » Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:00 am

Hello,
Thanks for the Gentoo 2005.0 coverdisc - a real eye-opener. You want us to read all before we try - who is really able to do that? I loose track, and need to try it out from the beginning... Copied the x86 handbook onto my Windows box, then popped an unused 200G drive into my old linuxbox and booted from the coverdisk. To my amazement it would measure performance on the virgin disk, and DMA prooved to be on by default on both disks. Followed instructions to the letter, except for setting up a more elaborate partition table on hdb with ext3 on /boot and reiserFS on the rest (+swap). Now, my hda has a functional Suse 9.2 (from a recent Linux Magazine coverdisk), with default GRUB in the MBR, and I would like to add an entry there to point to the /boot on hdb (hdb1) and select Gentoo. Would appreciate a helping hand there... The handbook optional sections only assume we may possibly be dualbooting with Windows.

Manual network configuration worked as described in Chapter 3, including SSH login from the Windows box. Gentoo did demand that I set up a dummy domain for my home network, re-configured the Windows box for the same domain name, and expect to have to do the same with a couple more boxes and devices. So far I can still access the net via the Smoothwall box, and the OfficeJet G95 network printer without these changes, though...

Mounted all my partitions as pointed out in the handbook:
# mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/gentoo
# mkdir /mnt/gentoo/boot
# mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/gentoo/boot
except I used hdb (hdb3 is my / )
Now I have both a /usr, and a /mnt/gentoo/usr, and so on for /var, /opt and more, and they are obviously different - but I'm afraid I never REALLY understood the mount command - do I mount something physical on something logical, or something logical on something physical, and on top of that, what's the significance of the difference between /usr and /mnt/gentoo/usr? And what happens if I get confused and use the wrong one in some step of this installation?

Perhaps related to the above, even if I really tried to read the instructions, I run into difficulties when configuring USE FLAGS and editing make.conf, since I cannot get the EMERGE to work - I cannot find the script anywhere,
and the which command to my surprise appears to work on /bin.... instead of /mnt/gentoo/bin... and so on - or am I a fool to be surprised by that? Or are there a couple more differences between the standard Gentoo manual and the LXF coverdisc version?

By the way, there are two small differences between the instructions on page 115 of LXF68 and the filesystem on the coverdisk:

tar xjpf /mnt/cdrom/stages/stage1-x86-20050303.tar.bz2
will not work, use
tar xjpf /mnt/cdrom/stages/stage1-x86-2005.0.tar.bz2

tar xjpf /mnt/cdrom/snapshots/portage-lxf68.tar.bz2 -C /mnt/gentoo/usr
will not work, use
tar xjpf /mnt/cdrom/snapshots/portage-lxf68-tar.bz2 -C /mnt/gentoo/usr
(a . needs to be replaced by a -).

Also, such commands are difficult to read in the narrow column format of the magazine, since you often wonder if there should be a space or not at a line break (a line continuation mark would help).

Thank you - Terje
terje

Found emerge, but it fails

Postby terje » Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:29 pm

Hello again
So, emerge is in /mnt/gentoo/usr/bin, but is not found automatically. In /mnt/gentoo I type usr/bin/emerge lshw, and it runs, but reports:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "usr/bin/emerge/, line 10, in ?
import portage
ImportError: No module named portage

Some missing environment variable? I think portage was correctly unpacked, and I did run
mount --bind /mnt/cdrom /mnt/gentoo/mnt/cdrom
and
echo "local /mnt/cdrom/Distros/Gentoo/distfiles" >/mnt/gentoo/etc/portage/mirrors

So - I'm stuck again...

Will greatly appreciate any comments - Thanks!

Terje
terje

RE: Found emerge, but it fails

Postby nelz » Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:42 pm

Did you also run
Code: Select all
env-update
source /etc/profiule

after chrooting?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby terje » Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:35 pm

No - chrooting is in chapter 6 - I'm trying to get through editing the make.conf in chapter 5, and figure I need emerge to check out the hardware. Should I rather change to the new environment first, then loop back and configure make.conf and use flags, and re-make the profile before using the new environment for any compiling and installation? is this sort of an iterative process as you get the tools into place, and can learn more details about your system?
terje

Postby nelz » Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:33 pm

You don't emerge anything until you are in the chrooted environment and have run the bootstrap script. You can edit make.conf from the chroot, in fact I think the handbook discusses this.

Suggesting you read everything through first was not done to cause you extra work, quite the opposite. You really do need to follow the installation instructions to the letter, don't try to skip or add steps. You may think you can, but someone else has already discovered you can't, which is why the handbook says what it does.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs