Is Vista a Copycat OS ?

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

RE: Re: RE: Is Vista a Copycat OS ?

Postby towy71 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:48 pm

still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby godofthedevil » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:06 pm

of course it is a copycat o/s with the all the stench of windows..

i still fail to see why anyone needs bells and whistles just for checking emails going online and doing a letter / spreadsheet.

even with playing music and movies whats the point if flashing gimmicks that are even eyesores. to this day i dont use windoze xp's default window scheme. i wonder if vista have the same problems as previous versions like

1. when deleting many files, and it comes to a file it cant delete for any reason, not give you a chance to skip but to stop alltougher

2. after 6 months. even if your a careful user, have hidden nasties build up so much that it takes 15mins to boot up, or unexplained errors that hang on it worked ok yesterday.

all honestly Vista does nothing for me.. the wow factor of it for me is.. WOW... what a piece of c**p
www.stewfisher.co.uk

LinuxMint, The loveable Grandchild of Debian/GNU Linux
godofthedevil
LXF regular

Postby M0PHP » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:49 pm

I'm also a Windows Classic fan :)
Image Image Image
M0PHP
LXF regular

Postby godofthedevil » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:21 pm

a little off topic.. but one thing i hate about microsoft is that it asks for a product number half way though the install not at the beginning.

does anyone know if vista had joined the 21st century and pick up FS like ext2/3 JS and other linux/bsd ones?
www.stewfisher.co.uk

godofthedevil
LXF regular

Postby M0PHP » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:30 pm

The new filesystem for Vista (WinFS) was abandoned half-way through development and will be released as an addon for XP + Vista 'some time in the future'. Probably so they could concentrate on 3D windows and DRM :roll:
Image Image Image
M0PHP
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:35 pm

godofthedevil wrote:a little off topic.. but one thing i hate about microsoft is that it asks for a product number half way though the install not at the beginning.

Don't try Xandros then.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby towy71 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:00 pm

godofthedevil wrote:does anyone know if vista had joined the 21st century and pick up FS like ext2/3 JS and other linux/bsd ones?
Security alert: A rogue file system has been detected, under the terms of the M$ DRM an assasin has been despatched to take care of you and your computer is about to implode :roll: :roll: :wink:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby Aquafire » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:53 am

Drm is a dangerous joke on Vista.

From what I have heard, if Vista decides for what ever reason some content that you have on your machine isn't legitimately owned, then the screen either goes fuzzy or gets the blue screen of death treatment.

The Gutmann article on DRM is worth reading.

http://www.grc.com/sn/SN-074.htm
Aquafire

Postby godofthedevil » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:20 pm

i personally i like freedom

Freedom of speach, freedom of beer, and the freedom to screw up my computer the way i want too without nanny gates saying "ah gee i dont know if thats a good idea"
www.stewfisher.co.uk

godofthedevil
LXF regular

Postby mrguitarmann » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:34 pm

Vista's "innovation" in SMB do you mean, the one that breaks Linux-bases NAS boxes and SANs? I tested this at work the other week, and now I'm back on XP because it refused to connect to my NAS box with all the suggested fixes in place. It's a pretty old NAS box I'll give it that, but nonetheless still capable of it's job so why should I have to replace it if I upgrade to Vista? Microsoft's response? They use an "improved" SMB in Vista opposed to XP, and that they won't be providing compatibility. Our business will be staying with XP-SP2 for a long time to come.
mrguitarmann

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:40 pm

You may have to watch some of the auto-updates on win2003Server too, a recent one broke DHCP DNS resolution on some of our Samba clients.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby Aquafire » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:56 am

Given the relatively flat sales of Vista.

I am beginning to suspect that perhaps, there is a modicum more of user resistance than Ballmer and his mob over at MS expected.

But realistically, why would anyone really want Vista most especially given its protoform?

Given the past history of MS.

Aka 95, 98, NT, 2000, Xp etc,,

I can only think that most savvy ( read... I don't want to chuck my money away)

Wndow users are going to hang back awhile to let the bugs be sorted out before making the $$$ dive.

Cheers

Aquafire
Aquafire

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:01 pm

Also a lot of people bought pre-xmas PCs with free Vista upgrade vouchers- which are apparently really hard to redeem:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/16022007/368/v ... -gate.html

But there is much negative comment in the press, Microsoft must be squirming, but the problem is that XP works well enough for most people, and HTPCs are still not selling well.

People are starting to realise that The PC belongs in the office or the kids bedroom, not the lounge.
A standalone DVD player, for example can be bought in ASDA for £9. HDD recorders are under £100, why use an expensive PC that takes time to boot, has silly DRM and is still prone to crashing just when you want to record a TV program?
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby chen2linu » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:35 am

I believe that vista is a good product!
chen2linu

Postby Rhakios » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:08 pm

Odd, having your sig as the link to a search engine.

Their colour scheme looks to be about as original as Microsoft's OS, perhaps that explains why you are so comfortable with it.

:P
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

PreviousNext

Return to Other OS