Valentine's Day gift to you: Cybernightlife relaunched

Community announcements - software releases, LUG meetings etc.

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Valentine's Day gift to you: Cybernightlife relaunched

Postby phorneker » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:02 pm

I am pleased to announce the relaunching of the Cybernightlife project, with a new URL: http://cybernightlife.50webs.com

Changes include:

- Removal of obsolete and some older material.
- Refocusing on distributions designed for home and small business use.
- New menu structures
- Image galleries are now integrated into the main website.
- Plenty of garbage removal, including SuSE support.
- Best of all, no popup advertising!

(music: Hallelujah!)

At this point, I am keeping the Cybernightlife Founder's Journal, and am looking for space for a forum.

Oh, and the current focus is on the SimplyMEPIS distribution. Other distributions will follow as time and space warrant.
phorneker

RE: Valentine

Postby M-Saunders » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:04 am

Woo, I like your unique approach to a Linuxy site. I would, however, change the images from JPGs into PNGs or GIFs -- the compression artifacts are really glaring, eg:

http://cybernightlife.50webs.com/graphi ... -linux.jpg

Resave them in PNG or GIF and they'll look a lot crisper.

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:27 pm

Yes, very stylish. But I do wish websites wouldn't use white font on a black background. So difficult to read. It puts me off straight away. If it looks like something I might be interested in, I have to copy the whole page, paste it into Word and change to a more acceptable black font on white background. :roll:
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby Nobber » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:54 pm

It's very readable on my screen. Perhaps you need one of the following things, Marrea:

1. To turn up the contrast on your monitor.
2. A new monitor.
3. New eyes.

That was roughly in increasing order of difficulty, but the choice is obviously yours.
800 LINES ERIC - GET BACK TO PYSKOOL
Nobber
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:35 pm

My choice is to convert it to black on white. :D

Maybe your eyes aren't as old as mine, but even when I was younger I always found magazine articles with white font on a black background very tiring to read, so much so that I would frequently just pass over the article altogether.

The worst thing is if you do actually persevere and read, say three or four pages of white on black, and then return to the more conventional black on white ........ that takes some little while for your eyes to readjust. :shock:

I think there must be a reason why books are printed with black text on white pages?
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby donoreo » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:34 pm

I just do not like "black" sites like this. It is not for the font, but just the overall appearance. It does not seem professional to me, seems like an emo teen site.
I cannot deny anything that I did not say.
donoreo
LXF regular

Postby Nobber » Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:36 pm

Marrea, I agree, white-on-black in print is generally bad, unless the print quality is very high.

On screen, though, I hate white backgrounds [1]. Hurts my (mid-30s, by the way) eyes. Konsole, Gnome terminal, urxvt, xterm - you name the terminal, the first thing I do is change the colour scheme to white-on-black. And the Writer document I've got open at the moment has a nice, soothing, grey background...

[1] "Well, turn down the brightness/contrast, then!" I hear you shout. But then I wouldn't be able to see the white-on-black so well, would I?
Nobber
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:33 pm

I must admit a large expanse of bright white screen can be a bit too much as well (no pleasing me, is there?).

Tell you what I really hate - dark blue font on a black background. Now that really is awful !
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:49 pm

Oh, how about a bright red font on a green background - see the letters dance :)
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby shifty_ben » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:47 pm

White font on black background is far better, especially if you are reading a long article, you are in effect staring straight at a lightbulb after all. Books are printed black on white because it would cost more to print ink everywhere but the letters ;)

Nice site, good to see LXF at the top of the Linux Resources :D
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:18 pm

I feel a poll coming on. :lol:
Marrea
LXF regular

Re: RE: Valentine

Postby phorneker » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:01 am

M-Saunders wrote:Woo, I like your unique approach to a Linuxy site. I would, however, change the images from JPGs into PNGs or GIFs -- the compression artifacts are really glaring, eg:

http://cybernightlife.50webs.com/graphi ... -linux.jpg

Resave them in PNG or GIF and they'll look a lot crisper.

M

Thanks for the compliment.

I have experimented with the PNG and GIF formats when working with these graphics. The JPEGs were created with GIMP and saved using a quality setting of 50. I have found that the file sizes of the JPEG were significantly smaller than their PNG or GIF equivalents, even at greyscale, which is what these graphics were.

My design has been optimized to minimize file sizes in order to speed up loading, even with 56K dialups.

As for the black background looking like a "emo teen" site, this is not quite the case. The black background is part of the "upscale" design that was part of the Project since 1998. The design was inspired in part from nighttime trips to places such as Chicago's Magnificant Mile (north Michigan Avenue), the Las Vegas Strip, and even the local shopping plaza in the city where I live.

The site logo was inspired by logos you see at night on store fronts. Examples include Macy's, Kohl's, and JCPenney here in the US. Though the backgrounds are different colors, the logos are all white in text color on the signs on each store.

If I were to convert to a black on white scheme, the website would not have the same effect. The black background is the "night" in "nightlife".
phorneker

RE: Re: RE: Valentine

Postby pootman » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:44 pm

Bring Back!
Green on Black!
This signature has been produced using traditional writing methods on behalf of The Campaign For Real Slogans.
To enjoy this signature at its best, adjust your monitor's resolution to 1024x768.
pootman
LXF regular

Postby wiz » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:17 pm

Please don´t even think of using a light background.
This has been a prime hate of mine since dos gave way to gui´s with screaming white backgrounds.
Bring Back!
Green on Black!

It still exists around here, and in text mode too.
wiz
LXF regular

Postby nordle » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:10 pm

Marrea wrote:I think there must be a reason why books are printed with black text on white pages?

Because the reverse would cost 1,000 times as much in ink :)
I think, therefore I compile
nordle
LXF regular

Return to Announcements