open source c# code

Code junkies hangout here

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

open source c# code

Postby liaty » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:10 pm

I just starting to learn c# using mono. Where can I get sample code that is open source ie that I can use and change without hacking Microsoft code or any other propriety code.
liaty

RE: open source c# code

Postby GMorgan » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:59 pm

Theres not much C# Mono code out there at the moment because Linux is only just taking it on. I imagine somebody else here might know of some but there isn't a great deal. There are some Mono tutorials out there though.
GMorgan
LXF regular

Postby liaty » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:43 am

I'll just have to start writing my own, probebly the best way to learn anyway.
liaty

Postby M-Saunders » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:46 am

liaty, see

http://www.mono-project.com/Software

for various Mono apps written in C#.

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby GMorgan » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:47 pm

Prehaps Mono will be used in 30 years :D . Doesn't GNU still use the original C for most of their work so they're probably about to move up to C++ then Mono will come about when computers can anticipate our need for coffee (essentially an infinite loop making coffee at each pass).

Of course just because a lot of Linux people still program in C doesn't mean that Mono won't be used.
GMorgan
LXF regular

Postby liaty » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:01 pm

The reason I chose mono, was I like the idea of being able to port programs to windows. If I get to the point of writing resonable programs, I can show freinds that use windows, on their machines.
Plus I am starting a course in September, part of which is programming. I know that it will be programming in windows so I am getting a head start now as monodevelop looks very similar to visual studio.
liaty

Postby GMorgan » Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:13 am

Most major languages are portable though. Java especially runs on many systems. The only thing you have to be careful of is that compatible libraries are available for each system. In the case of C++ both GTK and QT will run in Windows. Also is Mono an exact .Net clone or does it simply do something similar in a different way.
GMorgan
LXF regular

Postby jjmac » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:43 am

Hi,

GMorgan Wrote:
>>
Prehaps Mono will be used in 30 years . Doesn't GNU still use the original C for most of their work so they're probably about to move up to C++
Of course just because a lot of Linux people still program in C doesn't mean that Mono won't be used.
>>

That is quite interesting, don't get me wrong here as i figure you are talking quite lightly. But it does seem to echo the curious perception that there is something actually wrong with C. Even though very few languages themselves, in source form, aren't built using it :wink: Except for possibly emacs. There is also this idea that C and C++ are actually different things, rather than the former, really just being an inclusive set of the later.

As Stroustrup well points out, the problem people tend to have with diff languages is more the result of them evaluating one, but in terms of an the other or by them having some vested interest in the promotion of one. Which in the proprietary world is unfortunate, but none the less a fact. Would not SGI push the benefits of templates, even before their spec was completely ironed out (grin)

C will, for a long time to come, provide the required balance between low level manipulation and the ability to work in a higher level conceptual context. All the bad C around is just that, bad C. Quite a lot of the code about is written in a style that has long since been superseded (X), but people get there habits and they do, do, a lot of good work. C++ it self provides just a better C in that regard. And has it not been suggested that C# was invented as a MS strategy to get coders accustomed to a platform specific language originally. As a knee jerk reation to the proliferation of Java and the web. It does look a lot like C/C++ with a lot of Java thrown in to me (grin)

Not that that has anything to do with Iiatys' original post though :).

As mentioned above (the link), and i'm sure a good google on mono along with a few site greps will generate the links you need :)

GMorgan Wrote:
>>
Most major languages are portable though. Java especially runs on many systems.
>>

As you say ... as long as the system is set up correctly. It isn't surprising how many people have difficulties getting Java up and running. But no more so than any other system. I don't really see Java having any real special claim to portability though. Like ... dosen't "sizeof(char)" strick one as being designed just with portablility in mind.

Smirfed MS headers that use "WINMAIN" macros that just expand to "stdcall" don't count either (grin). The purpose for that usage is quite obvious. Especially considering that stdcall is a default modifier anyway (grin) :) :)

jm
Humpty Dumpty Was Pushed !
(and back in goes the cork :) )
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby liaty » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:29 pm

Suppose the main thing for me to do is learn how to code first, how programs are constructed, how variables, loops etc work and then worry about which code is going to be the most suitable for my needs.
I appreciate the advice above, but it's like the old "which distro should I choose" question. Ask a suse user, they'll say use suse. Everyone recomends what they are familliar with themselves. Untill i've leared and understood programing and how it works, it's pointless me trying to guess which one will be suitable for me.
According to the books most codes are similar, so I'll stick with C#, I've got the book now, and then once I have a beter understanding I can look at other codes.
liaty

Postby jjmac » Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:50 am

Howdy,

Your just trying to beat the gun ... so to speak ... you know ... trying to figure the hurdles out first , before running the track an all. Don't punish your self to much there (grin) ... makes sense to me at least ... Thats why the cars do their trial runs before they figure thier point hierarchies out , no ? ... ah. Makes sense of course :roll:

Looks like you and google are going to become mates ... if not already so :)

And, by the way ... ... always worth a looki suppose ... of course :wink:
http://www.research.att.com/~bs

In case you have a wiered browser, the last bit there is a "tiled" character, prefixing the "bs" ...

:)

jm
And Prohibition Suxs ...
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby GMorgan » Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:05 pm

The comments about C. I just find a lot of pure C code being wrote and the use of older style procedural type programming when OOP is easier to read and appreciate. I have no real problem with C, bad coding is the real problem.

My main concern is I just feel that everyone seems to be pushing Java and other languages (all seemingly intepreted ones) when due to efficiency problems and the mountain of legacy code available I'm not sure Java is going to be the next big thing many make it out to be. GNU's position of using a lot of original C seems to support this.

Sure it has a well established and deserved role in the browser plugin market but a comparison between several applications that use C/C++ and Java leaves Java looking a bit on the weak side at the moment (of course it can change with work but then any language could be made to be the leading language given time). I've tried running the Java based Azureus in both XP and Linux and I find it to be a system hog (it put my 1GB machine well into virtual memory in XP, as much as 1GB into it) while uTorrent is a C/C++ based Azureus clone and runs in 6MB of RAM (but doesn't have a Linux version yet and is closed source at the moment despite being free).
GMorgan
LXF regular

Postby jjmac » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:46 am

Hi,

Java (Oak) was originally designed for embedded systems. And so was designed with the view to force the programer to write the souce in such a way that all serious errors were caught at compile time. Just so that when you turned on the device, its' chip set wouldn't blow up. Its' application towards the net came later ... once Sun saw the potential due to the increase in popularity. So it may not actually be the best modle from a security point of view. There was a comercial imperative component included in its' promotion.

The first time i ported a lot of my own Java over to Linux from Windows ... i had to change the anchoring co-ordinates for all of my widgets due to the difference between the two platforms when it came to window decorating.

A minor thing i suppose but it did belie the cross-platform aspect. But then --- MS may have been more at fault there too (grin).

jm
And Prohibition is Bad !
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby 1slipperyfish » Fri May 26, 2006 9:31 am

i'm no expert but i would always advise someone who is learning to code to use java( i may be biased :D ) as it is a good starting point is fairly easy to learn and i found it made c++ a lot easier to understand :D also as you are using virtual memory there is no danger of doing any permenant damage to your pc(well hardly any)
as for c# i found the same as vb, crap :D
paul
i am a follower of the culture

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby PythonRulz » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:20 pm

How is C# crap? It is hardly like VB. But, are you talking about VB.net or VB 6, 5, 4 etc?
PythonRulz

Postby manitoban » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:29 am

Hi All,
I couldn't resist putting my oar in here. The arguements about programming languages have been going on for so long that most of the original arguers are dead. I discovered C# to be very like Object Oriented Pascal. A language I followed for many years until it morphed into Delphi and Kylix, and became so expensive that an amateur like me could not afford them.
So far, inC#, many of the good features of Delphi are in C#, and some of the bad features of C, (which I did a little of in days gone by) are absent. I don't care who invented C#. It is a language I intend to follow for a while. I like it.
Bill
manitoban

Return to Programming