Increase in quantity of SPAM.

Non-computer-related chit-chat

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby godofthedevil » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:41 pm

1and1 are useless with handling spam, i had to abandon an email address i used for my online shop because the amount of spam that got in, and their spam filters considered paypal as a spammer, not good when i take payment by paypal, so i had to give up and change email addresses. i emailed them asking if they could block any ip addresses that come from china as thats where 99.8% of my spam came from they emailed and said just put the emails on the black list, what is the point of that when the email addresses are spoofed, all i would get is a very long and pointless black list, same with trying to white list paypal payments as the email address is of the customer not paypal itself.

i tried to even get in touch with ISP's of the websites and email addresses the spam comes from, but as they dont come from english speaking countries, im pretty much screwed. or they seem not to care at all with no action. im not a big fan on spam blockers as they can be more harmful then beneficial
www.stewfisher.co.uk

LinuxMint, The loveable Grandchild of Debian/GNU Linux
godofthedevil
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:18 pm

Just use a GMail address. Very effective with spam blocking, I've found, and as of yet haven't had a single bit of real mail marked as spam.

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby godofthedevil » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:58 pm

i have some stuff in place, some i got from Lxf's sister magazine pc answers, if i have to have an email link they have to prove their human also i use thunderbirds junk controls which i like cos it learns.. :)
www.stewfisher.co.uk

godofthedevil
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:48 pm

Well, I use 1&1, we have 30 mailboxes with them, all filtered for viruses and spam.

Having set up their spam filters correctly, using their text sensitive filter, and their blacklist/whitelist, etc, I get less than 2 spams a week, I just get an email every day to tell me what is in my spamfolder, they are all deleted after 30 days.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby godofthedevil » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:36 pm

in my experience 1&1 spam filters lists dont do subject lines so i could whitelist "notification of payment received" i use popmail as not webmail

though i might try gmail as mike suggested, tell me more about their spam controls.

i have had problems with spam controls deleting important emails.
www.stewfisher.co.uk

godofthedevil
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:18 pm

I use POP3 too via exchange, but the spams are held in the junk folder on their server, and I get a daily report of whatever new is in there.
If there is anything that looks genuine, I just login via webmail to mark it as "not spam" and then retrieve it.
Haven't had a false positive in weeks, since it trained itself using the stuff in the junk folder as a reference.

It uses team antispam, bukmail checks, text pattern profiling and white/blacklists.

I don't think that is "useless", works pretty well for me, of course you have to configure it properly via the user setup.

P.S. just checked my junk folder on 1&1 and there are 333 spam messages in it.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby godofthedevil » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:35 pm

i guess its a difference of opinion,

i wouldnt want to wait a day late for an email esp when they are geniune ones go into spam and the spam go into the inbox.

one thing we should agree on.. that spammers should be thrown in a pit and stoned with the computers they ruined with their spamming.

to change the subject and go a bit more on topic (discussing the qulaity of 1&1 webmail is a tad off topic my bad). what i dont like is some of the causes of spam, like soical network sites such as bebo and wayn who effectually harvest msn contact lists etc. and teenagers let loose on those sites unaware of what they are doing.
www.stewfisher.co.uk

godofthedevil
LXF regular

Previous

Return to Off Topic