A good mailserver for Linux

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

A good mailserver for Linux

Postby Snam » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:33 pm

Hi All,

Which good emailserver for Linux could you recommend?

By good I am thinking about easy administration, plenty antispam options, antivirus and free.

Hope you can help me find me a good mailserver.

Regards

Snam
Snam

RE: A good mailserver for Linux

Postby nelz » Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:03 am

Postfix, exim and qmail are all popular and can all do what you want. spam and virus checking is handled by separate programs, but all of these can incorporate them. Each one has its advocates and detractors, so unless you want to spend time trying them all, you may as well stick with whatever your distro installs by default.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Snam » Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:23 am

How about Sendmail?

Regards

Snam
Snam

Postby nelz » Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:28 am

I thought you wanted easy administration? Why do you think most distros do not install sendmail? :o
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Snam » Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:31 am

Just ask because I am not familiar with all the mailservers for Linux - I only noticed Sendmail popping up every now and then.

For comparison, I have tried Merak Mail Server for windows - Does anyone know if there is a similar free mailserver for Linux?
Snam

Postby nelz » Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:59 am

Sendmail is renowned for its cryptic configuration. Sendmail config files are often used as evidence that aliens have visited Earth :)

It is popular with many sysadmins, but that is probably more to maintain job security than for its easy admin :)
nelz
Site admin

Return to Discussion