MBR problem

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

MBR problem

Postby jer1ch0 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:46 pm

I got three HDD's for XP, Vista and Linux.
Today I installed Suse over Ubuntu on the third HDD. Everything seems to go smoothly. However when I chose Windows XP from Grub during boot, I got this message:

Code: Select all
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader (hd2,0)+1

Ok, I think. Just stick in XP disk, select R to repair and do a fixmbr. As usual it asks for a password, and because I don't use one, I just hit Enter to continue. However it says that that is not the correct password. It gives me three goes and then restarts.
I've tried changing the boot order of the disks to no avail. I can boot into Vista or Suse, but not XP. I need to be able to get into XP.
Any ideas?
Thanks.
jer1ch0
LXF regular

RE: MBR problem

Postby shifty_ben » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:50 pm

Can you not have a poke around from within vista? though I suppose if the issue does lie in the MBR that would be harder.

Seems odd that it thinks your password is wrong, I take it you are using the Administrator password? I always used to have issues with the XP Repair disk though it was never one like yours.
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby jer1ch0 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:48 pm

With all respect, Vista does not do "poking around". I posted the problem from Vista and the amount of times I had to click thru useless dialogue boxes was enough to induce RSI.
Anyway, I just got this sorted - well, I can boot up XP, so my wife is not gonna beat me up. Phew!

I changed the disc boot order in the bios. The HDD with Linux on it had an entry for XP that actually worked. I'm really going to have to sit down and think out this tri-boot/tri-HDD system.

BTW, am I correct in thinking that every HDD in a pc should not have an MBR? Is it not the first HDD that has the mbr that points to a particular partition, be it on the second or third HDD?
jer1ch0
LXF regular

Postby M0PHP » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:19 pm

There's a good article about GRUB in LXF90, it may solve your problem about Windows...
Image Image Image
M0PHP
LXF regular

Postby dandnsmith » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:56 am

Fairly recently I was pointed to a site which has some good (I think) guides to the multiboot process

I'm going back to it to brush up on the points I feel vague about.
Derek
dandnsmith
LXF regular

Re: MBR problem

Postby pootman » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:00 pm

Code: Select all
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader (hd2,0)+1

I'm no grub guru, but shouldn't the root (hd0...) and chainloader (hd2...) match the location of the MBR you want to use (since windows won't let you choose to install the bootloader to a different disc)?

I'm guessing hd0 is xp, hd1 is linux and hd2 is vista? Are you selecting xp from a vista boot menu?

With regards to mbr's, it's just a particular area of the disc, every disc has one, and some bios's will let you choose which one you want to use. It's possible the mbr from your original xp installation is still there, in which case setting this as the first boot drive (in bios or by swapping ide/sata cables and or jumpers).

If that sounds like sheer hell (it does to me), try to set both to hd0 for xp, and hd2 for vista in grub.conf/menu.lst

ps You might need to do some 'map () ()' type grub commands to keep windows happy. We'll need more specifics on your hw setup if that's the case.

pps have you considered virtual machines? unless you need 3D on all three OS' it would make life much easier.

ppps and by "need 3D" i don't mean beryl/compiz etc (which are fantastic when you can't find that bloody terminal you were using that has the history required to save you lots of typing). I mean NEED.
This signature has been produced using traditional writing methods on behalf of The Campaign For Real Slogans.
To enjoy this signature at its best, adjust your monitor's resolution to 1024x768.
pootman
LXF regular

Return to Other OS