Gentoo: Founder & Chief engineer working for Microsoft..

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Gentoo: Founder & Chief engineer working for Microsoft..

Postby serene » Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:58 pm

I saw the story here on Gentoo's founder and Chief engineer going to work for Microsoft.

*Will Microsoft have the ability now that these 2 are working for them, to impede or hinder further Gentoo developement or progress?

I am concerned because I have really latched on to Gentoo as a wonderful distro for my needs and now I'm feeling a little depressed upon hearing Microsoft's reach has seduced the top Gentoo folks to the dark side!

Thank you.
Serene :)
serene
LXF regular

RE: Gentoo: Founder & Chief engineer working for Microso

Postby nelz » Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:35 pm

First of all the founder and chief engineer are one and the same person, Daniel Robbins. Secondly, he left Gentoo some months ago. Gentoo is run by a not-for-profit foundation, of which Daniel was never a part.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

RE: Gentoo: Founder & Chief engineer working for Microso

Postby Rhakios » Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:28 pm

And in what way does the poster need help in this matter? Can this thread be moved to discussion where it belongs?
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Re: RE: Gentoo: Founder & Chief engineer working for Mic

Postby towy71 » Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:32 pm

Rhakios wrote:And in what way does the poster need help in this matter? Can this thread be moved to discussion where it belongs?

what he said! :)
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

RE: Re: RE: Gentoo: Founder & Chief engineer working for

Postby serene » Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:14 pm

I will format my question into a more specific 'help or advise' topic.

Question:
Is there a possibility that Microsoft can influence the development or progress of Gentoo now that Mr. Daniel Robbins has left to work for Microsoft?

The answer to this question will help me to decide if I should pursue other distros or stick with Gentoo.

Thank you all.
serene
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:34 pm

Rephrasing the question doesn't make it any less of a discussion topic, so I've moved it.

Now think about what you are asking. could someone who is no longer associated in any way with Gentoo, and known to work for Microsoft, influence the development of Gentoo?

Of course he can't, the Gentoo foundation aren't a bunch of sheep who will follow any retired shepherd.
nelz
Site admin

Postby serene » Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:16 am

Thank you Nelz.

I wanted an opinion from the experts here...

There was concern if there was any proprietary technologies that got sold to Microsoft that could later be denied from future Gentoo code.

Thank you for your comments.
serene
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:09 am

There are no proprietary technologies in Gentoo, it is all open source. Even if there were, Danial Robbins would not be able to sell them as he would no longer own them.

The guy created a great distro and community, but in doing so ran up five figure debts. Now he needs a job and Microsoft offered him one. In a way, Microsoft are retroactively funding the creation and development of Gentoo, without gaining any advantage from it :)
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Return to Discussion