Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes

Comments and suggestions about this site

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes

Postby Lancer » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:29 am

There's not much worse than going to a loot of trouble documenting a problem complete with logs etc only to have LXF forum come up with the error:
Code: Select all
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 427491 bytes) in /var/www/html/includes/classes/Smarty/core/core.write_cache_file.php on line 39

Even the preview allows the post, so there's no clue that you've gone over a specified limit. Once htis happens it becomes impossible to edit / delete the post. It's stuck there like an annoying black hole waiting for readers to click the topic and surprise them with the same error.

...can LXF forum please have a better method of letting us know when a post isn't going to work?
Lancer
LXF regular

RE: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes

Postby jjmac » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:01 am

Howdy,

do you mean ...

Linux Format Forum Index » Linux » Help!
Post subject: Xorg versus Thinkpad Posted: Dec 28, 2006 - 06:21 AM
>>
I have an annoying problem with Fedora Core 6 on my IBM Thinkpad, model T22. It only seems to boot into X every third time or so.

Usually it begins to boot, but it stalls just when trying to change to the greeter (the part where I type in username and password).
>>

The saved page is just under 2 Mbs ...

Sounds curious though, and i know scrap about this really, but, the only thing that i notice there would be,

>>
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device or address)
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device or address)
drmOpenDevice: Open failed
>>

Though fails in the log don't necessarily mean that X it self wont start.

I'd try and save the logs from a failed boot, and save the /dev directory state ... then grep/compare them against a successfull boot.

8 Mbs does sound like a large drop. Deciding on whats relevant isn't easy as well ...

Maybe breifing the logs and working it up from there might help.

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby Lancer » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:22 am

Thanks for looking at that. How did you manage to get into it? I can't read my own post because of the error.

The problem, as you said is that it's very difficult cutting a log down when you're not really sure exactly where the problem might be. The minute I chop out something, someone is likely to say "hey - it's because such and such is missing".

Your idea of comparing boots is good, though once it fails I can't use anything - screen, keyboard or mouse... only hard boot and hope next one gets through. I'm not sure if X is at fault because it happens somewhere between grub / initiation and the graphical log in greeter.

It's not the first time the size limit has hit me. I thingk LXF should have a character limit on the textbox because as it is, there is no way of telling if you've overstepped the limit until you hit "submit". (no - preview does not tell you either).
Lancer
LXF regular

Postby Ram » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:00 am

Would be nice if they fixed the " Notify me " when a reply is posted.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Re: RE: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes

Postby Lancer » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:04 am

Ram wrote:Would be nice if they fixed the " Notify me " when a reply is posted.

Seems to work for me. Sure your ISP isn't blacklisting LXF replies?

Back to topic: LXF should set a character limit on the text box.
Lancer
LXF regular

Postby jjmac » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:14 am

Howdy,

I didn't have any problem reading it , but it did cut out before the Xorg.0.log was complete.

You could use a LiveCD between boots to back up the various logs, just to contain the output and make it easier to extract/compare. As long as there is a cd/dvd drive handy.

Try booting to the console instead maybe. I'd delete the xdm symlink in one of the runlevels and edit /etc/inittab to reflect that. At least it may give you some lee time to probe about a bit before starting X up.

Again, not being an expert, but ... at console prompt, you could check the /dev directory to see if anything is missing there. And maybe starting X, passing it as a cli to the 'strace' program ... and piping/redirecting the output to a text file as a kind of forensic exercise ' 2>&1 |tee out-file.log' may be revealing.

It can be surprising just how usefull 'strace' can be sometimes, it has been very usefull to me lately for tracing down the obscure font choices some programs insist on defaulting to (grin). Then aliasing those up to something that is more suitable for me.

>>
I'm not sure if X is at fault because it happens somewhere between grub / initiation and the graphical log in greeter.
>>

Good point ... also, you mention it doesn't happen every boot, but does seem to have a consistency ... Could there be a lock file involved. One that isn't being removed on a shutdown, causing X's fail on a subsequent boot, and being removed with the reboot, allowing the next attempt to succeed. That can and does happen. Something to do with the shutdown occuring before the system gets to deal with a polled system request i think, such as deleting a lock file. Another thing to look at could be the way udev is set up if your running that. Which, if it does have a hand in it, it would point to a device file not being created when it should. But that dosen't explain the 'every so many boots' part.

The size limit thing is also curious, strange too that the previw worked but the submission didn't and that you can't view that post as well.

Have you still got a copy of it, what is the actual size.

Good Luck

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Re: RE: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes

Postby Ram » Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:07 pm

Lancer wrote:
Ram wrote:Would be nice if they fixed the " Notify me " when a reply is posted.

Seems to work for me. Sure your ISP isn't blacklisting LXF replies?

Back to topic: LXF should set a character limit on the text box.

Well I changed my addy lets see if that works.

back on topic I still get the error
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 426083 bytes) in /var/www/html/includes/classes/Smarty/core/core.write_cache_file.php on line 39

Am at work so using XP / IE not that should make a difference.
Ram
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes

Postby Rhakios » Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:21 pm

I can't read my own post because of the error.

Lancer

I've cropped your post a little and added the final code tag, can you view it now?

Try emptying your browser cache as well. As for your problem with the board in general, there's nothing I can do about that, you'd need to ask Mike, or one of the other admins.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Lancer » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:26 pm

Thanks. Yes, that's why I posted the problem in here. Unsure who to ask although I hoped they would see it. Looks like they only need to add LENGTH="xxxxx" to the reply form textbox.
Lancer
LXF regular

Postby SootynSweep » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:37 am

Strange, I can open the Xorg versus Thinkpad topic as anon without any problem.

But after logging in so I can send a reply I get this message:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 395143 bytes) in /var/www/html/includes/classes/Smarty/core/core.write_cache_file.php on line 39

So I logout and can open it, log back in I can't ;-(
SootynSweep
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:51 am

How bizarre. Sorry for the trouble folks -- I'll look into it when I'm back in the office, and perhaps set a limit on message size that informs you if you've gone over.

Mike
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Return to This Website