Enabling Security Module for kernel

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Enabling Security Module for kernel

Postby youlikeicecream » Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:47 pm

Hi, I am trying to install dazuko which AntiVir relies on for active scanning. It wants me to "Enable the security module" for the kernel.

I have never successfully compiled my own kernel, can anyone help me ?

Mike :)
youlikeicecream
LXF regular

RE: Enabling Security Module for kernel

Postby M-Saunders » Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:05 pm

Most likely, you won't need to compile a kernel -- just install the source package for your currently running kernel, and build the Dazuko module against that. Most distros include the source for the kernel supplied; it's typically under the name 'kernel-source' or similar.

Then, you build the Dazuko module using those sources, load it and voila! Well, if it all goes smoothly. There's a handy guide on the site:

http://www.dazuko.org/howto-install.shtml

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby youlikeicecream » Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:12 pm

But how do I enable the security module in the kernel, i looked at th dazuko "how-to-install" page before posting here and it just says "you will need to compile / rebuild your kernel with the option enabled, you must be familiar with building kernels"

:)
youlikeicecream
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:28 pm

Yeppers, but it also says you can skip the whole kernel compilation step if: 1) you can install your kernel source package, and 2) it's the same source and config as your current kernel.

So if you install the kernel-source (or equivalent) package, then extract Dazuko, run './configure', 'make' and 'make install' (as root) you'll hopefully be OK. I'd assume the Dazuko ./configure script will look for kernel sources in /usr/src/linux, but I'm not on a Linux box to check I'm afraid! :-)

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby youlikeicecream » Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:07 pm

But, this is what I have done i call ./configure with the kernel source directory parameter and it says that the security module is not enabled in the kernel ?

youlikeicecream
LXF regular

Postby youlikeicecream » Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:38 am

Quote from http://www.dazuko.org/tconf.shtml#NO-MODULE-SUPPORT

///////////////

3.3 What does "error: security module support must be enabled in your kernel" mean?

Dazuko uses the new Linux Security Model for Linux 2.6. This means that Security must be enabled in the kernel in order to support Dazuko. This will require you to configure and build a new kernel.

///////////

Anyone have any links to a tutorial or something so that I can build a new kernel ?

youlikeicecream
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:49 am

Ah, maybe you'll have to then. I do remember installing Dazuko -- several months ago -- but didn't need to rebuild the whole kernel (just compiled the module against my current sources). Anyhoo, building the kernel is good experience; you learn a lot in the process and it'll give you the opportunity to do some extra tweaking :-)

Here's a detailed guide -- pretty long, but helpful all the same:

http://www.digitalhermit.com/linux/Kern ... HOWTO.html

Good luck!

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Return to Help!