Will Fedora Core 4 on discs be delayed?

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Will Fedora Core 4 on discs be delayed?

Postby txtedmacs » Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:37 pm

Ever since I saw the notice that the release was being pushed back I wondered if it would be possible to include it as planed for the next issue of LXF.

I would suggest waiting another month as a means of avoiding errors introduced by a rushed attempt to get it distributed. Moreover, I would expect some of the flaws in the original release might be corrected to give those using this distribution less of a headache. My experience with FC3 has been excellent regarding the initial installation on a laptop and once I discarded the up2date utility for the command line yum I have been satisfied with the updates.

How about including Debian's Sarge as an offering - it has been quite nice so far for me and it's updating / version change utility is unsurpassed by anything I have used previously.
txtedmacs

RE: Will Fedora Core 4 on discs be delayed?

Postby nelz » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:32 pm

It was delayed for a week, but it is out now.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Re: Will Fedora Core 4 on discs be delayed?

Postby bigbee » Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:24 pm

txtedmacs wrote:How about including Debian's Sarge as an offering - it has been quite nice so far for me and it's updating / version change utility is unsurpassed by anything I have used previously.

nice idea, but a full install (the whole x86 install package) contains already 14 cd's :) (not to mention the 64bit, ppc... versions)
I would consider to offer the netinstaller with an LXF issue... :)
bigbee

RE: Re: Will Fedora Core 4 on discs be delayed?

Postby nelz » Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:02 pm

You don't need all 14 CDs to install Debian. I've just installed a working desktop woth GNOME and KDE from only the first CD.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

RE: Re: Will Fedora Core 4 on discs be delayed?

Postby bigbee » Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:57 pm

hehe, I've never installed from normal CD's, always used the netinstaller... for the simple reason my p1 laptop just has enough power and diskspace for a basic install of a few 100 MB :-)
bigbee

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs