Am I a Linux traitor?

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Am I a Linux traitor?

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:33 am

A-Wing wrote:Isn't the X-Type just a Ford Mondeo with Jag exterior/interior?

Not really, it is apparently based on the Mondeo floorpan, but built in aluminium, different engine, etc.(even the bloody tyres are non standard)

A bit like saying "isn't a Mac just a PC with a different interior/exterior" -Oh, hang on a minute, a Mac IS just a PC with...........

A-Wing wrote:Anyway, waay off topic now :)

I know, (desperately trying to drag it back) :-)
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Am I a Linux traitor?

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:59 pm

On another note, I cannot connect my spvm2000 to our dlink AP .
This is really wierd, as we regularly connect Linux and windows laptops (XP and suse 10.1) 2 linux desktops (Suse 10.1), and an emac
I had no problems with a Zaurus 550 and an origo wifi card.
The most anoying thing is that the spv does not allow manual configuration, it just scans forever.............
It happily connects to my home router (belkin 802.11b)

So wifi is a problem, with pocket pc 2003se , etc. Linux is not alone.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Am I a Linux traitor?

Postby candy » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:13 pm

When it comes to the OS from my vantage point it's what works for you.

Software - I'd go with open source every time. We don't need shiny boxes and less than helpful 'support'. They're some great programs out there for free so why pay?

Regards,
Candy

A girl in a million
candy

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Am I a Linux traitor?

Postby ryptyde » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:24 pm

I guess you'll have to change your sig to something befitting the OS perhaps "Mac Weiner" :lol:
ryptyde

Postby sandinista » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:24 pm

Must admit I feel a bit the same. I use OS X on my desktop but have been using Linux on the Laptops for a year now. I must confess I "MUCH" prefer OS X but also like Ubuntu. However the WPA support under Linux sucks. Yes I know that it is possible to set it up but I can't (even with help) get it work. Tried Google. Tried the Ubuntu fora etc. Still no joy. It all works fine with WEP but not WPA. Until this is sorted out to make it easy for us clusers Linux may be ready for the Desktop but it's not ready for the Laptop. With any luck I'll be getting my Macbook when Leopard comes out. Then it will all "just work"
sandinista

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:16 pm

I find that I like the same sort of things in OSX and Ubuntu.
I also hate the same sort of things in Ubuntu and OSX.
I thought that Kubuntu might be better, but no.

Having said all that, I would prefer my users to be using Ubuntu or OSX than Suse or Windoze.

I am not just a user, and I am used to being able to easily touch the naked OS, whereas Ubuntu and OSX both feel like wearing gloves to type.

This is probably a better way for users, well protected from the result of their own errors, and I am probably just an old reactionary tinkerer..

Whatever rings your bell.....

For example, at first glance Windows MCE is at first impressive, then irritating, then annoying.
A windows mobile phone is at first cool, then irritating, then frustrating.

Why do microsoft keep trying to make platforms fit their software, instead of the other way around?

I expect that the Zune (if we ever see it) will suffer in comparison to the iPod, because it runs an OS that wasn't designed for a 2inch screen, and can't be adapted to it without a total rewrite.

I really want to try MythTV, and I miss my Zaurus.......

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby Aquafire » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:35 am

I am both a Mac OS X user (Tiger) and Linux user (Kubuntu). On top of that, like most people I use Windows XP.

My experience with all three, tells me that no one OS is really that much better than another.

Some XP features are better than those found in Linux and OS X, some Linux features are better than OS X and XP and some OS X features are better than both.

In otherwords, if the OS (whatever it is) helps to get your work done quickly, seemlessly and with minimum of fuss or headaches...then that's all that should really matter.

In consequence, I don't have a problem carrying out certain jobs in Windows machines, Linux machines or OS X machines...

I should also say, it's something of a myth that Mac users tend to prefer paying for commercial software. Given the thousands of free software alternatives to be found in places such a Pure Mac or even on the Apple site itself, this is one myth that really doesn't have legs...

Mac users are just as concerned about saving a few quid as the next person...

As to my next home machine...

.... the thought of triple or even quadruple booting on a brand new duo intel based mac mini (OS-X, Linux, Unix, Windows) does seem very tempting.....8)

Think of a Mac Mini like a MultiVitamin pill....hehe
Aquafire

Postby Marrea » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:26 pm

Aquafire wrote:In otherwords, if the OS (whatever it is) helps to get your work done quickly, seemlessly and with minimum of fuss or headaches...then that's all that should really matter.

Good God, Aquafire, and I thought I was the only one on this Forum who felt like that. :D
I totally agree with everything you say in your post.
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby Nigel » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:04 pm

Aquafire wrote:I should also say, it's something of a myth that Mac users tend to prefer paying for commercial software. Given the thousands of free software alternatives to be found in places such a Pure Mac or even on the Apple site itself, this is one myth that really doesn't have legs...

Yup... the only commercial software on my Macs (apart from OS-X & the iLife suite that comes with them) is Photoshop Elements. And the first thing I do with any Mac is delete the trial version of MS Orifice - I much prefer NeoOffice (and the latest version on the MacBook even has a reasonable startup time :))
Nigel
LXF regular

Postby Aquafire » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:21 am

Nigel wrote:
Aquafire wrote:I should also say, it's something of a myth that Mac users tend to prefer paying for commercial software. Given the thousands of free software alternatives to be found in places such a Pure Mac or even on the Apple site itself, this is one myth that really doesn't have legs...

Yup... the only commercial software on my Macs (apart from OS-X & the iLife suite that comes with them) is Photoshop Elements. And the first thing I do with any Mac is delete the trial version of MS Orifice - I much prefer NeoOffice (and the latest version on the MacBook even has a reasonable startup time :))

Agreed Nigel..

I really don't have time for bloatware (or malfunctionware), which means I have given a lot of the commerical brands the flick...including Microsofts' Office and Adobes' Photoshop etc. So yes, your right, there are plenty of free substitutes that do an excellent job..and all for nix...

Speaking of the need for speed, (you probably know this already) but there is a excellent product called "Monolingual" which gets rids of all the extraneous language files and flushes them out of your system / library and in other areas...thus speeding up your load time while saving as much as 2+ Gigs of space..!!!

It's brilliant and FREE.

http://www.kungfooo.com/2006/10/30/save ... ive-space/

Onyx is another freebie worth its weight in Gold.

http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs/english.html

Actually, I am very sparse when it comes to dishing out praise...but in the case of both of these two bits of kit, they're spot on..

Maybe others can offer up differing freebie options.. 8)
Aquafire

Postby Nigel » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:16 am

I find that SharePoints is a very useful utility in a mixed network - it took all the hassle out of giving other machines (including other Macs) access to the big firewire disk attached to my MacMini.

I had heard of Monolingual, but have not used it as I think I might want some of the extra language files. And on the MacBook, load time isn't an issue :D.
Nigel
LXF regular

Postby TheDoctor » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:38 pm

Marrea wrote:
Aquafire wrote:In otherwords, if the OS (whatever it is) helps to get your work done quickly, seemlessly and with minimum of fuss or headaches...then that's all that should really matter.

Good God, Aquafire, and I thought I was the only one on this Forum who felt like that. :D
I totally agree with everything you say in your post.

No, you're not the only one. I've said that I do the same thing as well on several occasions.

My KVM switch is my friend.
TheDoctor
LXF regular

Previous

Return to Other OS