Am I a Linux traitor?

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Am I a Linux traitor?

Postby A-Wing » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:32 pm

Well, I have finially given up my Kubuntu based desktop for my lovely iBook G4 (the last one I could find before everything went intel). To be honest, I am hooked, I have a nice unix based console in it so I can SSH into client boxes. Smultron and vim for PHP development, and builtin wifi and bluetooth that just work so I am on the net at home and on the train.

I still use Linux on my servers and the servers for my clients, I don't think that will change any time soon. But I just can't justify Linux for my desktop any more when MacOS X does what I need. Although I would never convert to a MS based OS yet.

I am also quitting as admin of my LUG for the last 3 and a half years.

So as the topic says, am I now a Linux traitor?
Andrew Hutchings, Linux Jedi
http://www.a-wing.co.uk
A-Wing
LXF regular

RE: Am I a Linux traitor?

Postby donoreo » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:45 pm

Not really. OSX is based on a Unix core. You are still with us in spirit :)
I cannot deny anything that I did not say.
donoreo
LXF regular

Re: RE: Am I a Linux traitor?

Postby A-Wing » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:55 pm

donoreo wrote:Not really. OSX is based on a Unix core. You are still with us in spirit :)

Indeed but it doesn't stick with the whole free (or open source) ethos really. It is a commercial OS and it is the first OS I have _bought_ extra software for (garagesale for my ebay account and iCash for basic accounts).

My servers all still run Linux. My home server runs Ubuntu Edgy, I have 1 London server running Ubuntu dapper and another running CentOS (will get rid of that one in Decemeber though).

I only support Linux servers for my clients. I'm just not a Linux desktop guy anymore
A-Wing
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: Am I a Linux traitor?

Postby Rhakios » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:07 pm

Yep you're a traitor.

Now where's my hanging rope? Oh there it is, under my PowerBook.

:)
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Re: RE: Re: RE: Am I a Linux traitor?

Postby A-Wing » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:10 pm

Rhakios wrote:Yep you're a traitor.

Now where's my hanging rope? Oh there it is, under my PowerBook.

:)

Don't lie, its under your Vista disks and you know it ;)
A-Wing
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Am I a Linux traitor?

Postby ollie » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:10 am

Answer "No - but may your chooks turn into emus and kick the dunny door down traitor!" whilst thinking, "I'll just use the KVM to switch to my Linux box from the OS X 10.4 G4 to answer this one", :oops: Linux Format is reading my thoughts now! :lol:
I've always said it's about the best tool for the job - and it's Linux or OS X that are clear winners on both the desktop and server.
ollie

Postby towy71 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:33 am

My iMac is playing pandora I'm typing this on my ubuntu box and kvm switching with a BSD server and there is an old win98 laptop as a print server, so yes you are a traitor same as all of us ;-)
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby A-Wing » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:42 am

I gave up with KVMs in the end. I just have my home mail scanning server which is an EPIA based box running Ubuntu Edgy (no GUI). My 12" iBook G4 which I am using now as I am sitting on the sofa working with my youngest son watching the tweenies. My wife has a Windows box but I only use it when it needs fixing, about once a week then ;)
A-Wing
LXF regular

Postby donoreo » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:57 pm

One thing I found with Mac users: they love to pay for software. In another forum I frequent, there is a Mac group there and if someone asks for a suggestion for some software it is almost always commcercial. I point out a free alternative (I have a PowerMac 1 Ghz myself) and I hear crickets. They do not seem to even think of free software at all. I asked about this and someone pointed out that Mac cultists prefer commcercial software so that they support more development of Mac software. There is a certain logic to that.
I cannot deny anything that I did not say.
donoreo
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:58 pm

I still feel like an AmigaOS traitor -- I haven't used it in years :-(

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Re: RE: Re: RE: Am I a Linux traitor?

Postby Rhakios » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:34 pm

A-Wing wrote:
Don't lie, its under your Vista disks and you know it ;)

Guurgh! Don't talk dirty. :shock:

donoreo wrote:They do not seem to even think of free software at all. I asked about this and someone pointed out that Mac cultists prefer commcercial software so that they support more development of Mac software. There is a certain logic to that.

They would rather encourage the development of expensive mac software than free open source software? Then again, people paying their way is preferable to free-loading.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Nigel » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:42 pm

I, too, have succumbed to the lure of the Mac... having not used one since the original Mac in the mid 80's, I now own a 12" iBook and a Mac Mini, and love them - so much that I don't use a Linux desktop at home any more (still use one daily at work, although I'm playing with Solaris 10 as well and am liking what I'm seeing...).
But I've always used multiple OSes... currently running OS-X, WinXP, SuSE (8.2 & 9.2), Solaris (8 & 10) and Minix 2 on an old laptop !
Nigel
LXF regular

Postby M0PHP » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:13 pm

Can't stand apple, can't stand macs, can't stand ipods. The whole feel to apple is just wrong to me. Long live free as in speech and free as in beer.

Hope I don't offend any mac-ites here, but what I generally find with mac users is that they feel they're a cut above everyone else because they paid a premium for a computer; they like to feel they have something that nobody else does (paying a premium automatically puts you in a "higher class"); a sort of eliteism. Like people who buy luxury cars, in a way.
Image Image Image
M0PHP
LXF regular

Postby Nigel » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:33 pm

The Luxury Car metaphor is a good one... Yes, a new Apple does feel expensive, it gives you that smug feeling that you've "arrived" in the same way that a luxury car does.
Continuing the metaphor, Linux on a home-build machine can be compared to a kit-car - it may have a few rough edges here and there, but by jingo you've assembled the thing yourself and sweated blood over every nut & bolt - another really good feeling, albeit very different from the luxury car.
The beige/black box running Windows, of course, is like one of those cheap CityRovers that were assembled in India and rebadged to try to fool you into thinking you had something better than you have... you feel like it really ought to be better, and if you'd only spent a bit more money...
Solaris/Irix/Aix on non-x86 hardware is like an old second-hand Jag - it was once the greatest, and it's still got class, but it's no longer king of the road

If we're really lucky the Rover metaphor will be taken to the same conclusion as the car firm ;)
Nigel
LXF regular

Postby M0PHP » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:36 pm

Hehe, nice one Nigel :D
Image Image Image
M0PHP
LXF regular

Next

Return to Other OS