Computer freezing - could this be a RAM problem?

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby jjmac » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:57 pm

Howdy,

hmmm, i was thinking it may have related to the 2.6.17 kernel series. As there have been various strange issues cropping up with it. 2.6.16.19 is listed as 'stable' on kernel.org. But if the distro are using prior kernels then that would count that out.

I can remember an intermittant sound card problem i had a few years ago that traced down to oxid on the connectors. isopro alcohol and cotton buds solved that. I can also remember having problems, such as cd drive locking, disk freezing that stoped on uping the cpu from a generic 400w to 480 TruePower.

You also mention it will freeze up with out having much running, so i guess that counts out the cpu.

The only other thing would be something to do with your board/bios ... power management, irq management ...

If the ram had an issue, why didn't memtest fail ....

What is there about firefox that seems to bring it on ...

>>
What I didn't mention before was that the system logs (in Ubuntu at least) didn't give any clue.
>>

cryptic buggeres arn't they :). Hope it doesn't get much more obscue.

Good Luck

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby spottedcat » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:56 pm

About 12 days now using the DDR333 stick borrowed from another machine and not a single freeze-up yet - not on any of the several distros I have installed on this machine. I even downloaded, burnt to CD, installed and updated Ubuntu Edgy Beta on this machine this morning without problems. Posting from there now. Many thanks to all who contributed ideas. There were all much appreciated.

So - I was getting regular system lock-ups with the two DDR400 sticks (the correct rating for this m'board) used either singly or together. Let me be clear - I got lock-ups with each of them when used alone. Bad batch? :( They were made by PNY Technologies. The DDR333 is made by A-Data. I'm in no hurry to buy more/replacement RAM but if anyone has any comments about either or both of these brands I would be very interested to hear them.

Thanks all.
spottedcat
LXF regular

Previous

Return to Hardware