Debian

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

RE: Re: Debian

Postby Flea » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:35 am

What problems are you having. Debian is easy to install once you can get your head around some computing fundementals. I run a semi-unstable Wooid hybrid. Am sure if you ask, we can help you get a good OS onto your drive.

Ah, well, Iv just got Slackware 10.1 setup exactly how I like it. I'll give a go at installing Debian in a VM tommorow night and let you know the exact problems.

Dave.
The question is, what is a mahnamahna?
The question is, who cares?
Flea
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Thu May 05, 2005 6:20 pm

I have spent the two days prior to this installing Debian testing and I have to say that it is more stable than Kubuntu which just kept crashing on just about any KDE 3.4 element that I tried. I gave up on it and downloaded the business card iso from http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/
and then downloaded the the complete install including kernel headers so that I could use the Nvdia driver off the current issue DVD (thanks nelz)
Anyway up and running Debian hey hey hey :lol: :wink:
Dick

Oh and the reason for revisiting this topic was that I was going to disparage the "write for us" link cos my understanding that the editorial team had to shave their bodies so as to hide the fact that they are all monkeys ;-)
only joking :lol:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby Ricey » Thu May 05, 2005 6:44 pm

If y'all like ubuntu and knoppix types, but want to use the 'proper' debian repos then try KANOTIX.

Nice distro, brand new software, and a 64bit version too!

www.kanotix.com

Ricey
Ricey

Postby Flea » Fri May 06, 2005 12:25 am

I'll give a go at installing Debian in a VM tommorow night and let you know the exact problems.

just FYI I never did bother trying to install Debian again, life kinda got in the way as is usually the case :roll:

Nevermind, I think my fav will always be Slack :mrgreen:

Dave.
The question is, what is a mahnamahna?
The question is, who cares?
Flea
LXF regular

Postby fingers99 » Mon May 09, 2005 4:41 am

What about the unstable (sid I think its called) what age software is in there? Can I get kernel 2.6.x? latest KDE etc. ?

It's pretty new, although some have reported that Kubuntu has a later version of KDE.

The easy way to install Sid is to do a HD install of Kanotix (a mere 700Mb download).

I'm currently running a HD install of Knoppix with the sources pointed at unstable and experimental! ;-)
fingers99
LXF regular

Postby Flea » Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:59 pm

Update:

I Got Debian installed! :mrgreen:

one apt-get dist-upgrade later and I have a modern Debian system. I am a happy chappy :wink:

Stange thing is, the default install seems broken. I had to wait for it to fail installing, then manually install gnome from the dvd.
Adding the Debian repositries, to /etc/apt/sources.list, at first, didn't work either. I got this error message on apt-get update -

E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room
E: Error occured while processing phpgroupware-fudforum (NewPackage)
E: Problem with Mergelist /var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.uk.debian.org_debian_dists_stable_main_binary-i386_packages
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

By googling I found out you need to add the line APT::Cache-Limit "25165824"; to /etc/apt/atp.conf (a file that didn't even exist). That fixes the apt error nicely.

Anyway, any other newbies to Debian watch out for this little nasty.

Cheers,

Dave.
Flea
LXF regular

Postby jjmac » Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:41 pm

If you check out the site first, you can then get an idea on what the file sizes will be like. And thats especially so when it comes to deb (grin). They have sooooooo many packages in their lists ... is it no wonder the packages file is like, mega :)

Thats a good config inclusion to remember though ... deb some times can be a right pain trying to find out about stuff like that, their docs can be so scatterd. But it does have an uncanny way of making sence ... eventually :D

Just on installing though ...

Would an article/tutorial on generic installation issues be a good idea for the mag. With lateral threads on specific distro issues, but still sticking to a general install guide.

Some thing along the lines of ... how to reclaim control of the distro from your installer.... or

Are you sick of having to go 8 rounds with the installer when ever you want to try out a new distro, well then, just read this... or

Me human you software -=-=-=- obaaaaaay.

The time may well have come where people just need to make a concerted effort, and take back control from thhe installer !!!

The time of "simon says" must come to and end ...

Or something along those lines :)

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Debian is my ultimate pick

Postby zyrixnet » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:50 pm

Hey,

I keep trying out new distros all the time, but always end up back with my best friend Debian. I just can't get enough of it, after the new release of Sarge, it's now almost 100 times better then the old woody. So many bugs in the apt system have been patched, I am experiencing no problems at all. If you are looking at using X.org, or even KDE 3.4 with Debian Sarge, check out www.debian-desktop.org. This site contains tons of apt lines that you can add to your /etc/apt/sources.list, just make sure you do a 'apt-get update' after to refresh and update your apt cache. If you are looking for a splash screen like that of bootsplash, try out 'splashy', google for it. It's also very customizable in backdrop, and color, no animations yet, sadly.

After reading the latest issue that came here in Canada of LXF, the issue about emulators, and such. There was a Debian Sarge article inside, some of the information seemed quite mis-leading. I would've gave much more information about the apt system, such as adding extras sources, and such. If you are looking for an apt site, check out, www.apt-get.org, it has tons of packages if you are looking for any missing ones. Plus, it also states that Sarge had trouble detecting THEIR video hardware, I just did a Debian Sarge install for a friend the other day, and it detected and configured his nVidia card, it even detected my piece of crap 'ATI Rage 128' card. Sadly my card lacks the ability to use X.org's good effects. But at the least, LXF gave Sarge a great rating overall, which I am proud of. I do agree, Debian is a bit difficult at times to install. But after doing it over 50 times, you'll remember it easily.
zyrixnet

RE: Debian is my ultimate pick

Postby holly6000 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:09 am

It could be argued that you shouldn't need to do something fifty times to do it easily.
holly6000

RE: Debian is my ultimate pick

Postby zyrixnet » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:45 pm

[quote="holly6000"]It could be argued that you shouldnWell, makes total sense. How many people said that they cannot install Debian? I was just stating as well, how many times I did it, not how many times I needed to learn it. I, actually got it working for me the first try, this was in the Woody days. For one reason, I dealed with more complex installer in the past, such as the OpenBSD installer. Now that's one that would need a guide, but sadly LXF has no BSD section as I've seen.
zyrixnet

Re: RE: Re: Debian

Postby CJLL » Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:46 pm

david wrote:Quickest way to get started with Debian is to grab a netinst ISO for Sarge (Google for it - It's pretty easy to find). It's about 110Mb to download, but it will download the latest stuff from the Sarge Debian branch (aka 'testing') during the install. Every box I build uses this now, and it's nice and small enough to fit on a tiny CD-R so I can take it lots of places.

Bah! the ISO is for sissys, I got installed with just three floppy disks :twisted:

Hi David 8)
CJLL
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: Re: Debian

Postby zyrixnet » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:46 pm

I installed Debian Woody on a laptop with no CD-ROM, and no internal NIC card, it was an old 80486 system with 8 MB of RAM. I had no choice here but to use the floppies, afterwhich my PCMCIA NIC card was detected, and I began to install the base system using it. What a process that was. But it was fun, and gave me something to do, right?
zyrixnet

Previous

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs