Bad advertising choice?

Comments and suggestions about this site

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Bad advertising choice?

Postby kevanf1 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:49 pm

I know that the website and indeed the magazine has to have advertsing to survive. But please, an advert for Tiscali Broadband??? Ok, I've heard some bad things in the past about Tiscali but I am willing to think that they have got better. So, I followed the link as I am interested in geting BB sometime soon. But guess what? Tiscali do not provide any help for Linux users!!!! So why on Earth do they place an advert on a Linux magazine's website?

It's certainly tempting but not with a USB modem thank you.
kevanf1
LXF regular

Postby coolclassic » Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:28 pm

I use tiscali with no problems, software is supplied on the disk that comes with modem if not the software is available from sagem. Setting up Tiscali was a matter of installing the software and answering a few questions to configure.
coolclassic
LXF regular

RE: Bad advertising choice?

Postby towy71 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:30 pm

buy a modem router from ebuyer and go to www.adslguide.org and find an ISP that does support linux or at least not send you a usb modem :roll: :lol:
Dick
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby phil_m » Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:27 pm

To be honest, if you're using Linux you won't need any help in setting up a broadband connection.
phil_m

Postby Erin » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:05 am

This thread should really be in the website forum. However, most ISPs do not provide *nix help. So there are essentially two options;

1) Vote with your feet, send them a letter saying why you would not pay for their services.
2) Just buy their services anyway as with DHCP and a router/modem there should not be an issue anyway.

Please note, most of these low-cost ADSL services (and ntl [who suck more than BT]), cap their services to 1GB/month. If you go over that, some will charge you for doing so! Telewest, AOL (did I say AOL, nasty closed source people!), Freedom2surf and many more do not cap your service and offer genuine broadband and decent speeds with no limits (beyond local law and common decency).

Personally, I use Telewest and know many who use Freedom2surf (ADSL) and would recommend both. I'll add, avoid Tiscali, ntl, BT, Wandoo and the highly advertised similar capped providers. You deserve more for your cash.

Erin
Just beneath my skin I'm screaming. Faithless::Insomnia.
Dual PIII 550 with Ubuntu [semi-bleeding].
Erin
LXF regular

Postby coolclassic » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:49 am

Erin state's vote with your feet maybe he should vote with his own feet as telewest do not support Linux. see statement below from telewest own web sight:

Linux operating system
It is possible to configure Linux to work with blueyonder broadband Internet, however our installers will not connect to a PC running Linux, and unfortunately we are unable to offer any technical support to users choosing to run this operating system.

Also on veiwing Freedom2surf they also do not support Linux.
The world is your playground why don't you play.
coolclassic
LXF regular

Re: RE: Bad advertising choice?

Postby Rhakios » Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:15 pm

phil_m wrote:To be honest, if you're using Linux you won't need any help in setting up a broadband connection.

Providing of course that everyone else does their job properly. When I got ADSL the BT engineers had fudged setting up the local exchange properly, so my connection didn't work. Fortunately I chose UKFSN, so I didn't have to go through the whole "which version of windows are you using? oh we don't support Linux, goodbye sucker!" scenario.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

RE: Re: RE: Bad advertising choice?

Postby nelz » Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:55 pm

Don't UKFSN use Tiscali? So you can get Linux support from Tiscali, as long as you don't buy direct :)
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Andy » Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:45 pm

I use AOL and have never had a problem with them - in fact I'm on their two meg connection at the moment and have been on a bit of a download spree (Hoary Hedgehog, Xandros, CentOS amongst others). Unlike some of the other providers I don't have to worry about caps, but I am aware of the volume that I am downloading - I'm sure they would get a bit miffed if that was all I did as I would be taking up huge chunks of bandwidth!

Basically there are no caps with AOL, but I'm sure they would have a word if you overly abused the system, ie downloaded files incessantly!

The other plus side to AOL is that I don't have to use the bloated Windows client! :)

Andy
Andy

Postby Erin » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:57 pm

coolclassic wrote:Erin state's vote with your feet maybe he should vote with his own feet as telewest do not support Linux. see statement below from telewest own web sight:

Linux operating system
It is possible to configure Linux to work with blueyonder broadband Internet, however our installers will not connect to a PC running Linux, and unfortunately we are unable to offer any technical support to users choosing to run this operating system.

Also on veiwing Freedom2surf they also do not support Linux.

Hi coolclassic,

Well I agree up to a point except for two things. I use a hardware router that I can setup, as I can my own network but not everyone does networking for a living. TW indirectly provide services for *nix as they will assist configuring a router or the like but not the software/hardware behind it.

To be honest, I recommend those two ISPs not for their support but for their services. There must be a list of *nix friendly ISPs, I do not know where it is though. Maybe someone can suggest such a list or we could create one -- an LXF gift to the community?

Erin
Erin
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: Bad advertising choice?

Postby towy71 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:05 pm

if you really want a linux friendly ISP go to: http://www.uklinuxadsl.net/
Dick
(the clue is in the address) :wink: :roll: :D
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Re: RE: Re: RE: Bad advertising choice?

Postby Rhakios » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:09 pm

nelz wrote:Don't UKFSN use Tiscali? So you can get Linux support from Tiscali, as long as you don't buy direct :)

Indeed, I think Tiscali and another provider, but I can't remember who. My IP address is not always a Tiscali one anyway.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Bad advertising choice?

Postby nelz » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:18 pm

I can't remember the other one either, but each individual account is always with one or the other of the ISPs.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby evilnick » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:24 pm

coolclassic wrote:Erin state's vote with your feet maybe he should vote with his own feet as telewest do not support Linux. see statement below from telewest own web sight:

Linux operating system

I found this quite amusing. I was one of the first people in this area to get a cable modem, and the bloke who came to do the install obviously didn't have much of a clue. He refused to look at my Linux box, so I had to dig out an old laptop for him to set the sevrice up on. But as it is pretty simple, it was easy to tranfer the info to the Linux box once he'd gone. The irony waqs it took about five time as long to set up on the laptop because, pre WinXP, we had to keep rebooting it to change the network settings. Of course, Microsoft did own 40% of Telewest in those days...

Telewest works fine on Linux, but it doesn't help if you have a problem with the service - it makes it easy for them to deny responsibility...
evilnick

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Bad advertising choice?

Postby Rhakios » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:34 pm

I can't remember the other one either, but each individual account is always with one or the other of the ISPs.

Not necessarily, in my experience, I noticed a change once after having had a particularly bad connection for a while.

Also, the fact that the site states
We use two different wholesale suppliers for our ADSL Broadband service to ensure that the best service possible is available to our users.

would tend to suggest that either suppier might be used for a connection. But what do I know :?:
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Next

Return to This Website