A sequence of events, are they connected?

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

A sequence of events, are they connected?

Postby GMcG » Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:55 pm

A crash of thunder.
Konqueror freezes (It does that a lot so I ignore it)
The keyboard goes into hyperdrive. Every keypress results in a sting of characterrrrrrrsssss.......
For some reason I check Network Monitor. In the space of 3 minutes it has sent out 15Kb and received 14Kb in a series of little bursts about 1 second apart.
I shutdown and reboot a couple of minutes later. The keyboard is back to normal, Konqueror has vanished, and NetMonitor is still sending out stuff.
It just thundered again....

Have I just been passed over by weirdness central or is there a pattern to this? :(
GMcG

RE: A sequence of events, are they connected?

Postby nordle » Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:40 pm

My best guess is that you were struck by lightning and developed a bit of ssstttutttter while typing. :)

Your network could just be responding to icmp requests made by your isp.

Does sound as though a power fluctuatuion, possibly caused by interuptions are your local transformer, has just caused your psu to over/under supply attached devices and they all respond a little differently when that happens.

You could try getting a surge protection extension, might save you a few quid later down the line.
nordle
LXF regular

RE: A sequence of events, are they connected?

Postby Diagmato » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:16 pm

hmmz, that sting of characters problem used to happen quite often on my laptop - it seemed to get over that problem by itself.
My Blog

Micro$oft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the full house
Diagmato
LXF regular

Return to Other OS