mnt/cdrom?

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

mnt/cdrom?

Postby 1slipperyfish » Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:57 pm

now for a brand new stupid question how do i browse the files on the coverdisc? in mandriva a picture of a disc used to apear but in pclinux i have to go into mnt then cdrom and it shows the files but not in a browsesble way(they seem to be install files?)
or is this the way the disc is supposed to be?
paul(live in linux :D )
i am a follower of the culture

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

RE: mnt/cdrom?

Postby towy71 » Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:54 pm

maybe you should go to the pclinux website and ask there ;)
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby Rhakios » Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:58 pm

Wouldn't that rather depend on what disc you are looking at.

If PCLinux uses KDE (I believe it does) then you can always create your own desktop icon or opt to see mounted drives if you prefer. Right click on your desktop, select Configure Desktop, then Behaviour and the Device Icons tab, choose the ones you want shown in there.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby davecs » Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:35 pm

In PClinuxOS it depends on (a) whether you have the basic .81a version or (b) whether you have updated the kernel and used synaptic to bring the software up to date.

With the basic .81a version, run Konqueror and click on the Devices tab on the left. Your CDROM should be available to click on and browse.

With the updated version, Konqueror 3.4 no longer supports "Devices" so click on the Red Flag (Services) then Storage Media. You should see the CD Rom appear.

Assuming you have brought your PCLinuxOS install up to date, you can make it easier. Go into KDE Control Centre > LookNFeel > Behaviour > Device Icons. Click "Show Device Icons". In the list check everything apart from Hard Disc Drives (Mounted and Unmounted). Now whenever you plug in a storage device, an Icon will pop up on the Desktop, mounted. You will have the option to unmount it (Safely Remove) so that, should you save something to, say, a USB Key, you can ensure write behind before unplugging it.

With CDs it is better still, as putting in a Data CD/DVD will bring up the mounted icon, an audio CD will fetch up KsCD, a DVD/SVCD/VCD will fetch up the appropriate player, and a blank CD/DVD will start K3B.

The problem with this version of PCLOS is that several upgrades have taken place during its life, and you have to change a few bits and pieces as you go along, when 0.9 comes out, expect all this to work as standard.
Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
davecs
LXF regular

Postby 1slipperyfish » Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:55 pm

i have tried what you said and even when i reboot they don't change so i go into kde control center and repeat the process but still to no avail i'll just have to do some more fiddling :D
paul
i am a follower of the culture

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Return to Help!