Glue...Again!

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Glue...Again!

Postby wiz » Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:14 pm

Just got back from Wh Smiths with lxf68 and literally destroyed the mag cover and the plastic covering on the dvd trying to seperate the two of them.
Expect a flood of complaints any day now :wink:
wiz
LXF regular

Postby logandi » Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:02 pm

i thought someone at whsmith had been round with a glue gun and a bad sense of humour, nice to know it wasn't just me.
logandi

Postby Gordon » Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:17 pm

If you subscribed you would not have the glue problem. You would get your mag early. You would be actively supporting Linux by giving LXF a regular guaranteed income which they could use to give us more content. You wouldn't have to go to WH Smiths to get your copy.

Nothing like getting home from the office and beginning to read LXF while having your tea. :D
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent
Gordon
LXF regular

Postby wiz » Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:50 pm

Sneaking off to Smiths is an interesting diversion from an otherwise mundane compulsory shopping trip, & in the 3-4 weeks when there is no lxf I manage to read Linux mag & Linux user & developer for free by hiding amongst all the other people that tend to use the computer section as a lending library.
(If any of that lot read this forum, This is a joke. Humour does not seem to be a part of their repertoire)
wiz
LXF regular

Postby 1slipperyfish » Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:50 pm

i was looking for the other post this afternoon i came home form whsmiths took the dvd off(along with two half inch strps of the front cover :roll: ) i treid to get the paper and glue off the dvd and took a strip of the plastic off :shock: this truly is super glue!!!
paul
i am a follower of the culture

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby towy71 » Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:03 pm

Subscribe, its cheaper and better for the magazine. The bonus is that you get your copy in yer grubby mits earlier!

Dick

As an added bonus you get a nice piece of cardboard to back a picture of tux in his many guises :lol: :lol: :lol:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby henriette_holm » Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:31 pm

Ok, so it's not just me. Well, like the rest of you I managed to totally wreck the front of my new LXF68 and also spend quit some time getting the glue of the back of the DVD cover. I've actually written LXF an email asking whether they've changed the type of glue :)

And yes, I would love to subscribe but I'm not really to happy about the price (£90.00 !?! a year). I'm temporarily living in the UK so I'm buying all the linux mags I come across.
henriette_holm

Postby Rhakios » Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:00 pm

Just to fuel the discussion. If buying a magazine in the shops I prefer the cover disc to be stuck on with tape, at least the tape can be cut, thus largely preserving the appearance of the cover.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby nelz » Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:23 pm

Just to disagree with you, I find the gluey snot to be best, but it has to be the right consistency. A couple of mags I have worked for used this and it was perfect, strong enough to hold the disc on in the shop, but removable without damaging the covers.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Rhakios » Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:28 pm

Ah, but snot glue is obviously not of dependable consistency, yet I have never run across tape that will not cut :D
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby henriette_holm » Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:49 pm

It's the first time I've actually had a problem taking the DVD of the front of the mag. Glue, tape whatever. As long as the DVD is there and taking it of the front doesn't wreck the mag......
henriette_holm

Postby nelz » Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:07 pm

The other magazines I've been involved with never had a problem with producing consistent snot. The problem seems to be limited to Bath snot.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Rhakios » Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:43 pm

Must be the extra moisture <yeeuuuurgh!>
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby kevanf1 » Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:06 pm

I just knew that there would a be thread about this :wink: I've had the same as everybody else, ripped magazine cover. Subscribing would be very nice but I happen to be on a fixed income (disability allowance) and simply cannot afford to subscribe as much as I would love to. But that isn't the point. The magazine is offered for sale in the shops, and anyway, come on, it keeps shops going in a small way. This same issue happened a few months ago and we were promised that it would be sorted, never to happen again...well nearly never. But it has!!!! So come on guys, what happened? Please get it sorted once and for all. Or do I have to send Freddy round to pay Jono a visit....ask him
kevanf1
LXF regular

Postby guy » Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:42 pm

Rhakios wrote:Ah, but snot glue is obviously not of dependable consistency, yet I have never run across tape that will not cut :D

I've come across tape/varnish combinations where the tape fell off, often enough though. And I never seem to have a pair of scissors handy.

Anyway, why was the DVD snotted but the CD edition taped, then?
Cheers,
Guy
The eternal help vampire
guy
LXF regular

Next

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs