Old motherboard unable to boot DVDs, CDs don't burn right.

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Old motherboard unable to boot DVDs, CDs don't burn right.

Postby Bomerman » Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:03 pm

Can anyone help me with this? I have Red Hat Fedora Core 3 on the Linux Bible 2005 DVD, but the computer won't boot to the DVD drive. I have gone through many CD-Rs, slowing down on last ones, but it still fails the media check. Is there any way to boot to the DVD drive without buying new hardware?
Bomerman

RE: Old motherboard unable to boot DVDs, CDs don

Postby towy71 » Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:55 pm

if you boot using SmartBootManager you ought to be able to boot from the DVD, SBM is on most if not all recent LXF disks or can be downloaded from: http://btmgr.webframe.org/

I know it works on my test machine which happily boots from a CD but NOT from DVD until SMB :-)
HTH
Dick
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Old motherboard unable to boot DVDs, CDs don't burn

Postby Bomerman » Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:01 pm

towy71 wrote:if you boot using SmartBootManager you ought to be able to boot from the DVD, SBM is on most if not all recent LXF disks or can be downloaded from: http://btmgr.webframe.org/

I know it works on my test machine which happily boots from a CD but NOT from DVD until SMB :-)
HTH
Dick

Hmm... I have it, I've got the computer on a KVM. Let me test it right now, but when I tried, it didn't recognize it.
Bomerman

Tested SBM

Postby Bomerman » Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:17 pm

No luck, it doesn't come up. It doesn't even see it as a CD Drive.
Bomerman

RE: Tested SBM

Postby towy71 » Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:31 pm

It was my best guess :(
I think there is a way of installing from an existing partition but I can't remember how it goes having never tried it myself. Will google a bit and see what I come up with.
brb
Dick
towy71

Re: RE: Tested SBM

Postby Bomerman » Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:39 pm

towy71 wrote:It was my best guess :(
I think there is a way of installing from an existing partition but I can't remember how it goes having never tried it myself. Will google a bit and see what I come up with.
brb
Dick

Well, an existing partition may not be a viable solution, as the other computer does not have access to even my network, and has no OS.
Bomerman

RE: Re: RE: Tested SBM

Postby towy71 » Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:41 pm

here you go there is a way: http://www.eglug.org/node/967
towy71

Re: RE: Re: RE: Tested SBM

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:45 pm

towy71 wrote:here you go there is a way: http://www.eglug.org/node/967

Problem: It has no OS. I might be able to get the partitions set up, but how would I get the ISOs onto the HD?

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Tested SBM

Postby youlikeicecream » Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:34 am

Does it boot from CD ? Is there only one drive on the IDE channel? Are you using CSel or Master/Slave. I found with older motherboards that they get grumpy with one channel using 80-pin cables and one using 40-pin cables, and other things like Master / Slave Drive settings; if the DVD rom is the only thing on the channel and it is set as slave, it probably wont be able to boot, so on so forth
youlikeicecream
LXF regular

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Tested SBM

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:34 pm

youlikeicecream wrote:Does it boot from CD ? Is there only one drive on the IDE channel? Are you using CSel or Master/Slave. I found with older motherboards that they get grumpy with one channel using 80-pin cables and one using 40-pin cables, and other things like Master / Slave Drive settings; if the DVD rom is the only thing on the channel and it is set as slave, it probably wont be able to boot, so on so forth

1. Yes
2. Not sure, but I think so.
3. M/S

Right now, I'm going to put an install of FC 3 that only uses disk one, so I have an OS.

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Tested SBM

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:48 pm

I've got it! I'll use partitions made by minimum of FC 3, install Slackware 10.1 from LXF 66, and I have a basic graphical OS.

-Bomerman (quick reply)

Woohoo

Postby Bomerman » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:30 pm

Anonymous wrote:I've got it! I'll use partitions made by minimum of FC 3, install Slackware 10.1 from LXF 66, and I have a basic graphical OS.

-Bomerman (quick reply)

NVM, even better. I got the CDs burned at x4 instead of x8 (the one computer's lower limit was x8) and they work! They passed the media check at least.
Bomerman

Return to Help!