Wireless

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Wireless

Postby Gordon » Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:39 pm

Can anyone recommend a wireless router and pci wireless cards which will work effortlessly with OpenSUSE 10?
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent
Gordon
LXF regular

Postby TheDoctor » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:39 pm

I use a Netgear DG834G wireless router and got a Belkin 802.11g 54 Mbps Wireless PCI Card from LinuxEmporium. It works for me under OpenSuSE 10.0. That's how I'm able to reply to you now.

I had a little bit of bother geting things to work at first (see this thread for details) but you can see how simple it was once I sussed out the right things to do. It happened that I had to reinstall OpenSuSE later, because of something else, and I found that installing the distro after the wireless card is fitted makes things a whole lot easier. But hopefully, after you've read the thread, you'll avoid my problems in the first place.

You don't need the driver for the card from LinuxEmporium, by the way, since the driver that comes with OpenSuSE 10 is fine. (This is LinuxEmprorium's recomendation.)
TheDoctor
LXF regular

Postby porpentinetux » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:20 pm

I use a BT Voyager Modem Router which came with my package for Broadband that connects wirelessley and on ADSL without any problems, sets up with KInternet first time every time now I have the modem configured! Oh, I also use SUSE 10, another happy customer!
porpentinetux

Postby Xraynorm » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:59 pm

Hello

I use Belkin Wireless G PCI cards (Model no. F5D7000), and a US Robotics Wireless Maxg router.

All works well with SUSE 10, no new drivers needed.
Xraynorm
LXF regular

Return to Hardware