How to install drivers at all? and how do you install NWN?

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

How to install drivers at all? and how do you install NWN?

Postby tablewolf » Mon May 08, 2006 2:31 pm

Howdy, I'm the dumbest guy here. I have been attempting to set up linux on my 'spare' machine for the past five years, with varying levels of success. As soon as knoppix became hardisk installable in version 4, i used that. I am now waiting for the next version to come out so that I can start using that (it will presumably have a better version of open office rather than the beta and I guess it will have firefox 1.5 or higher). The reason I chose knoppix is because it's hardware detection is cool, especially for my tvcard. The other reason is because it doesnt have that veneer of easy to use wizards. I want to do things the proper way, using vi or whatever so that no matter what linux machine I use, I can still do whatever I need to, like add a usb stick for example.

The 2 things that I have always wanted to know is:

How do you install drivers in linux? (e.g. my haupage 878 tvcard didnt work in slackware 10.2. Nvidia drivers are easy.)

How do you install linux compatible windows games? (like neverwinternights. I have the linux patches, whatever they do.)
--------------------------------------------------------
My self built machine is duron 1300 with zalman flower, 1gig ram, 80gighdd8MBcache, 52xcdrom, haupage878tvcard, eth0-3com100mbit, eth1-netgear100Mbit, mobo is aopen something or other, vga=geforceGTS2 with 32megDDR.
tablewolf

RE: How to install drivers at all? and how do you install NW

Postby GMorgan » Mon May 08, 2006 3:59 pm

Didn't realise NWN had a Linux patch. Have been dual booting to play games. I will have a look now.

//edit - how about this page//
Last edited by GMorgan on Mon May 08, 2006 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GMorgan
LXF regular

Postby jjmac » Mon May 08, 2006 4:00 pm

Howdy,

Every body claims fame (grin) ...

Whats NWM ??? (see, you have competition :) )

What drivers ???

Third partly modules will need the kernel sources available to compile, as they will likely need direct kernel support. Then it's just a matter of pointing to the sources via an environment variable. Such as is the case with kqemu. All the variances should be salted away in their docs though.

If you mention something specific, someone have probably already stumbled over it, so they will be able to respond there.

Can't say on the second. Sounds like a job for Xen though. It would be nice to see more follow up on that around the forums. As it was a recent mag inclusion. I haven't had the chance to get to it as yet. Will though (grin), not long now.

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Mon May 08, 2006 4:04 pm

Knoppix is Debian, you don't need to wait for a new version to update the software. I'd normally recommend Synaptic for this, but since you like the command line, read the man pages for apt and sources.list, then add some Debian package repositories to the list and use apt-get to install the updates.

Drivers for your Hauppage TV card are part of the kernel. If they are not already available, you need to recompile the kernel with them enabled. It looks like Knoppix has this enabled already (no surprise there, Knoppix is built with everything turned on) while Slackware did not.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby GMorgan » Mon May 08, 2006 4:32 pm

Right I'm in the process of installing NWN and will tell you what I did when it works. In the mean time what distro (knoppix then, I should read the post) are you using and have you tried running 'glxgears' from a terminal. Try it and post the output.

//edit - What expansions if any are you using. I'm using the OC and the 2 addons.//
GMorgan
LXF regular

Postby GMorgan » Mon May 08, 2006 9:09 pm

Ok then this is what I've done to get NWN working using the original cd's and the 2 add-on packs as seperate entities. Obviously you'll need a lot of space ~/neverwinter is 3.7GB on mine but you'll need a fair amount more as temporary space for install.

First you will need a few downloads from loki installers. For all three I needed:

nwn_1.29-multilanguage.run (18.15MB)
nwn.sou_1.3x-multilanguage.run (2.16MB)
nwn.hotu_1.62-multilanguage.run (2.23MB)
nwn_1.66-english.update.run (87.48MB)
nwn.hotu_1.66-english.update.run (72.17MB)

Download all these to somewhere in your home directory. You'll also need your unlock codes. Then do the following commands as your normal user from the home directory (for each step follow onscreen instructions, drop the # as well)
#sh ./nwn_1.29-multilanguage.run
#sh ./nwn_1.66-english.update.run
#./neverwinter/fixinstall
#./neverwinter/nwn (enter code and exit)
#sh ./nwn.sou_1.3x-multilanguage.run
#./neverwinter/nwn (enter code and exit)
#sh ./nwn.hotu_1.62-multilanguage.run (2.23MB)
#sh ./nwn.hotu_1.66-english.update.run
#./neverwinter/nwn (enter code and your done)

This is only for all three expansions. If you have only the original game you should stop after the first ./neverwinter/nwn. If you have the first expansion then stop after ./neverwinter/nwn the second time etc.

If you've done that then you know by now that the command ~/neverwinter/nwn will start the game or ./nwn from the neverwinter directory.

You do need SDL and your graphics card running to run this game though and you have to install a module to the game in order to get movies.
GMorgan
LXF regular

Postby tablewolf » Tue May 09, 2006 3:04 pm

Howdy, I'm still the dumbest guy here.
Thanks GMorgan for the guide to installing Never Winter Nights. I'll give that a try. I do have all three expansion packs for NWN. It seems odd that NWN does not come with an install shell script on the cd, especially because the patches are online at the website. I'm really looking forward to doing that as soon as exams are over. Thanks again for your help.
BTW I am using the latest patches and CEP community Expansion Pack in windows.
Last edited by tablewolf on Tue May 09, 2006 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tablewolf

Postby shifty_ben » Tue May 09, 2006 3:16 pm

My best guess is that like most games companies their target audience will be windows, the patch for linux probably game out quite a while after the cds were pressed. Is the game any good? I did look at buying it butas it didnt appear to support Linux I was unsure.
In terms of drivers it differs but generally you build a kernel module. Not quite as easy as on Windows but not too hard once you know how. My first port of call is the kernel config and then google if its not already available in the kernel.
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby tablewolf » Tue May 09, 2006 3:37 pm

Howl,
Thanking you kindly nelz for your advice about recompiling the colonel (sorry kernel) so as to include the drivers for my tvcard with slackware. Unfortunately I have know idea how to do that. The reason I used slackware is because installing software from a tarball stored on a usbstick was as easy as installpkg <filename>. I know that is an appalling reason to choose slackware, but I'm a beginner. I moved to knoppix harddisk for the previously mentioned reasons.

I know that I mentioned that I want to do things the proper way, but I am only just learning about shell scripting at uni. If I were to be perfectly honest, I would admit that I do in fact like a little of that veneer to sweeting the learning process. I have installed software using apt-get install or update what have you but with limited success. I tried to install mozilla firefox for example, but it kept crashing. I have also tried installing software (tremulous game from coverdisk lxf) using the make install way of doing it but that wouldnt load. Also it appeared in the kmenu (start menu equivalent) but it would do anything when clicked. And so I think that I could use synaptic (or kpackage) if I new how to work them. Problem is that I cant work it out. I understand the idea that installing online using apt-get or whatever solves some problems like dependancies but I just feel reassuerd holding a disk and knowing that I can install from that. I just a bit too windozey. Can you do that with synaptic (or rather kpackage that I seem to have)? Doesnt it just give you a list of software online or can I use a tarball with it? I know debian and every other distro flavour needs its own files (what are they dot.deb or something?).

Until I know how to install software onto knoppix linux, I'm stuck between being satisfied with the bundle that knoppix provides or switching to slackware because installing software (like openoffice) is easy as typing one line (and then putting up with limited hardware detection.

So I am sure that that is what I need to do: learn how to install software from a usb stick with knoppix. But I dont understand why it isn't possible to install drivers from a usb stick in an linux x session, then just reboot, like in mswindows (sorry but they do make it easy on beginners).
tablewolf

Postby tablewolf » Tue May 09, 2006 3:44 pm

Arroooo....
You are right about the target audience of games companies, Shifty Ben. I also suspect that they figure that linux users will work out the game installation for themselves. And yes the game is awesome. You can get the game and the expansion disks in one big pack now.

I have no idea how to compile a kernel module. Sometimes, it seems that searching for information on something I don't know about using Google is a like looking at a haystack through the eye of a needle. It's daunting and I wouldn't know what to look for. There must be a tutorial in a LXF issue or on this website somewhere. Any ideas?
tablewolf

Postby shifty_ben » Tue May 09, 2006 4:25 pm

Most software will have a file called INSTALL in the tarball. If not there then it is usually in the docs, generally it is no more hard than compiling the game you mentioned from the coverdisk. I.e. ./configure make make install you would then normally do modprobe modulename as root. If you need to patch th kernel its a little more complicated but thats another story.

HTH

shifty_ben
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby GMorgan » Tue May 09, 2006 10:50 pm

AFAIK the original NWN gave no consideration to Linux. The undrentide expansion included an install script but that didn't work properly but at least they attempted something. Underdark dropped a lot of videos and moved towards using the ingame engine to give the low down. Bioware claimed part of the reasoning for this was the bink player they use wasn't very good on linux at the time. The fact the entire world was going towards telling the story without cutscenes is obviously irrelevant :wink: .

As to the quality. The original game was alright and the first expansion improved upon it. The second expansion is fantastic and is one of the most time absorbing game ever. With all the extra features the original game improves as well. If you do get it though just have a look at Biowares forums. It's been repacked in so many ways (delux, gold, platinum etc) and some require more work than others. The Loki installers are really good but they only work with the original CD's rather than any of the repacked deals (delux is fine, it was just the original CD's all boxed together rather than altering the structure in any way).

Tablewolf for the game to work you will need your graphics card running properly and the SDL libraries. I'm not certain but my guess would be Knoppix does neither by default.
GMorgan
LXF regular

Postby shifty_ben » Tue May 09, 2006 11:52 pm

Good to know :D so their first attempt was similar to the attempt Lexmark have made, their driver isntall script only works on older systems but at least they have made an attempt ;)
I may look into getting it then, havent played proper games in ages as I got rid of windows a long time ago, and cedega really aint much cop IMHO
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby GMorgan » Wed May 10, 2006 12:26 am

shifty_ben wrote:Good to know :D so their first attempt was similar to the attempt Lexmark have made, their driver isntall script only works on older systems but at least they have made an attempt ;)
I may look into getting it then, havent played proper games in ages as I got rid of windows a long time ago, and cedega really aint much cop IMHO

I tried cedega the other day but couldn't get much working. I went to a lot of effort moving my steam directory around so it was on a shared partition but didn't run at all. I'll just have to focus on getting Linux compatible games when I can. Time to start harassing Total War I think, I want Med 2 on Linux.
GMorgan
LXF regular

Postby shifty_ben » Wed May 10, 2006 12:30 am

From what I have found Cedega runs the Age of Empires series quite well, and several other games other than that its only real use is for programs that wont run on wine (though they are working hard on Direct X support AFAIK) For most apps though Crossover is more than sufficient. I bought crossover a while back and it runs all the apps I need although I dont generally use many windows apps at all anymore.
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Next

Return to Hardware