RPMdrake in Mandriva LE 2005

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby sirrondach » Wed May 11, 2005 4:16 pm

Is it me, or is RPMdrake broken in Mandriva 2005?

I used to be able (in Mandrake 9.2 or 10.0) to add a directory on my harddisk to the list of Software Media Sources in S.M.Manager by selecting "Local Files", giving it a name, entering the directory path and clicking on ok.
Now when I do the same procedure in Mandrivas Software Media Manager I get this message:
"Unable to add medium, errors reported: ... copying failed".
The name I've chosen, however, does get added to the Media List.

If I try to Update this Media Source, the following message appears:
"Unable to update medium; it will be automatically disabled. Errors: ...copying failed Unable to build synthesis file for medium 'Local Disk'. Your hdlist file may be corrupted".

----------------------------------

There appears to be a new textbox option on the 2005 Add Media Source dialog, namely "Relative path to synthesis/hdlist", which I don't remember from previous versions. I have no idea what to insert here so have been leaving it blank - is this the problem, and if so what is the correct entry?

----------------------------------

This problem exists on two different computers in separate locations. Has anyone else encountered it yet, and have you found a cure?
I'm lost without my local collection of rpm's at my fingertips!!
sirrondach

RE: RPMdrake in Mandriva LE 2005

Postby Guest » Wed May 11, 2005 5:10 pm

The obvious solution to this is to have KPackage installed. You can then use this to add rpms which aren't in your urpmi sources. I couldn't find it on the DVD (maybe it comes under something else) and due to a number of other things I didn't like I deleted it. I had b0rked PCLOS and thought I'd give Mandriva a go whilst I had the coverdisk, but PCLOS is now back as my second distro.

And it DOES include KPackage!

Postby davecs » Wed May 11, 2005 5:12 pm

Sorry that was me, didn't realise I wasn't logged in!
Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
davecs
LXF regular

Re: RPMdrake in Mandriva LE 2005

Postby mugstar » Wed May 11, 2005 7:28 pm

sirrondach wrote:There appears to be a new textbox option on the 2005 Add Media Source dialog, namely "Relative path to synthesis/hdlist", which I don't remember from previous versions. I have no idea what to insert here so have been leaving it blank - is this the problem, and if so what is the correct entry?

The relative path to synthesis/hdlist was there in previous versions too. It should be something like
Code: Select all
../../media/media_info/hdlist1.cz

i.e. "how to get to the hdlist from the directory the rpms are in".
mugstar
LXF regular

Postby jerryf70 » Fri May 13, 2005 9:18 pm

Have to agree with Sirrondach. RPMdrake worked fine for me in 9.1 and 10.0, now it doesn't work properly for local sources. I've never had to enter a path for an hdlist for these before.

Oh, BTW, it appears they've broken 3D support for Voodoo cards as well (although I guess most users are running something less ancient). And yes, I have set depth to 16 bit :-(
jerryf70

Postby nelz » Fri May 13, 2005 10:25 pm

Local repositories usually had the hdlist or synthesis-hdlist files in the RPM directory, so the path was simply '.'. If it really does need an hdlist file, there is a program to generate one. It's called something like createhdlist, but
Code: Select all
urpmf hdlist

should find the file and tell you the package that contains it.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby sirrondach » Mon May 16, 2005 9:38 am

Thanks for the info you guys, partic. jerryf70 because at least I now know it's not me going senile!
BTW, as I said in my opening post, the Media List does get the local depository name added to it, and even though the error message appears to advise that RPMdrake couldn't add the medium nonetheless it still adds the RPM's to its database of RPM's available for installation, as becomes apparent if you then open up the RPMdake "Install Programs" utility.
Strangely enough though, it doesn't add all of them, and neither will updating the media list again - I can't make any sense of this at all.
sirrondach

Postby sirrondach » Wed May 25, 2005 5:11 pm

Have solved my local rpm problem by installing Kpackage as one of our guests suggested. It does the job fine and seems to have no trouble with my local directory of rpm's. So thanks for this suggestion.

Hasn't made the rpmdrake bug go away though, has it!
sirrondach

Postby nelz » Wed May 25, 2005 7:40 pm

I'm not sure it's a bug. urpm needs the hdlist files for some of its functions. Have you tried creating them yourself?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby sirrondach » Thu May 26, 2005 5:17 pm

Nope. Don't know how to, or where to put them, as never had to do this in previous versions of Mandrake - assume that rpmdrake generated hdlists itself.
sirrondach

Postby nelz » Thu May 26, 2005 6:19 pm

See my previous post. You just run the command, giving it the name of your RPM directory, and it creates the hdlist files for you.
nelz
Site admin

Postby sirrondach » Tue May 31, 2005 5:09 pm

Yep. So I did that - the program is called genhdlist BTW - and left the generated hdlist in my rpm's directory. Then I went back to Mandriva's Software Media Manager and tried to update the "local disk" media source.
RPMdrake would have none of it and reported:-
"Unable to update medium: it will be automatically disabled. Errors: copy of[/var/cache/urpmi/partial/hdlist.local disk.cz] failed (file is suspiciously small)...copying failed Unable to build synthesis file for medium "local disk". Your hdlist file may be corrupted."

The funny thing is, it didn't disable the medium "local disk" at all, and when I switched to RPMdrake's Software Installer all of my rpm's were listed there as available for installation and I did install one just to see if it was real.

I must say this all seems like a bug to me, when a utility throws up error messages and says it's going to take a certain course of action, but doesn't do it. I think I'll throw it all back at Mandriva to see what they think.
sirrondach

Return to Help!