I need help to start a project.

Code junkies hangout here

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

I need help to start a project.

Postby hyweljones » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:51 pm

I'm really interested in getting a project going that I will be able to be used in my work place.
Its basically a programme that will replace the "lay-up cards" that we use when getting surgical sets and equiptment ready for theatre. Each surgeon has their own preferences, so each has their own cardfile. Problem is, these get outdated quickly and never updated, and when they do, they look messy.

So what I'm basically after is a database that will be able to print off the stuff that will need to be prepared for the next days theatre lists taking into accounts each surgeons preferences, but can also be easily updated as new equiptment etc. becomes available.

My initial idea is to use MySQl and PHP using a LAMP server so that the programme could be accesed by any computer in the department. I like this idea because all the computer in the dept are windows xp or 98.

Ideas????
hyweljones

RE: I need help to start a project.

Postby hopethishelps » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:11 pm

Well, you probably don't need any new software. Any database will do; MySQL is certainly a good choice.
Most of the work is identifying what information you want in the database, how it will be accessed, and how it will be updated.
For example, what does the equipment list depend on - does it depend on what operations are scheduled? Or just on the list of which surgeons are working that day? Is some of the information already stored in a computer somewhere (in which case you should use it, not type it in again)? Will somebody have to type in scheduling information each day? Is it realistic to expect that this will be done?
Only you can answer these and a lot of similar questions. We can't help you because we don't know anything about surgical sets, how hospitals are organised, etc.
hopethishelps

Postby hyweljones » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:44 am

What happens is we get an operating list the day before, and as night staff, one of my jobs is to lay up the kit.

Lets give you an example:-

Surgeon = Mr Harris

Operations for the day:-

Gastrectomy
Laprascopic Cholecystectomy
Repair of Right inguinal hernia

Now my job would be to find the cards that correspond to Mr. Harris and lay up for the above mentioned operations. Lets take the Inguinal hernia as an example.

Inguinal hernia requires:-
General Set
Travers self retaining retractor
Collingwood-Stewart Hernia ring
1 pack of 5 4x3 swabs
1 pack of 5 9x9 swabs
Suture 2/0 Prolene (VP 833)
Suture 2/0 Polysorb (GL223)
Suture 3/0 Nylon (SN627)
PHSE Mesh

So what I need is a simple dropdown box that would allow me to select Surgeon Mr. Harris and another for operation = Hernia repair. This would then send this information to the database and return the relevant list (as above) for me . The data could be put on the system and updated as we go along, building up the database steadily. There are no current databases with our surgical equiptment on so it would be start from scratch.

I've even thought about putting pictures of the relevant instruments and there locations on there to help new staff find them more easily.
hyweljones

Postby jhooks » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:08 am

>> There are no current databases with our surgical equiptment on so it would be start from scratch.

Actually there is a database, just not a computerised on. Technically, the card system you have been using is database, and will probably act as the basis for you computer database design.

>> So what I need is a simple dropdown box that would allow me to select Surgeon Mr. Harris and another for operation = Hernia repair. This would then send this information to the database and return the relevant list (as above) for me .

Before you start thinking about design webpages with dropdown boxes, it might be a good idea to decide your data structures. How are you going to store and organise your data so that you can access and modify it from the web interface? You don't mention how much or little you know about database design. Obviously if you have never designed and built a database before, that is something you will need know before you start building the website.

A good place to start might be to create a standalone database, and make sure you know that works - then create a website which can provide others with access to it.

BTW, I don't want to put you off, it sounds like a good idea. It might only start off providing a replacement for the card system; but once that is inplace and working well, with a little work it could be used for scheduling surgury, monitoring stock levels.
jhooks

Postby towy71 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:40 am

Make it open source so that other theatre technicians can use it, then money might be saved so that some more nursing staff and technicians can be employed instead of more bloody suits ;-)
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby hyweljones » Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:30 am

jhooks wrote:A good place to start might be to create a standalone database, and make sure you know that works - then create a website which can provide others with access to it.

I've installed MySql on my test server and I'm starting to think about the way to structure the data. I have a little database knowledge, I know how to set up tables, fields etc so Thanks for the advice, I'll go for a stand alone first to see if it will work. I've got one of those PHP and MySql for dummies books to get me started. I know they are really basic, but they seem to be getting me started.
As you go on to mention, I too thought about developing it furhter to monitor equiptment etc. Our stock levels are currently on 2 separate databases, pharmacy and supplies. The problem with the IT infrasructure in our hospital is its way too fragmented.

towy71 wrote:Make it open source so that other theatre technicians can use it, then money might be saved so that some more nursing staff and technicians can be employed instead of more bloody suits

It will definitely be open source!
hyweljones

Postby crispibits » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:21 pm

Hi Hyweljones,
Did you get any further with this? I'd be interested in helping out. I've designed a few databases, and enjoy writing web frontends and such. As jhooks says, the design of the database structure is the most important part. Just make sure you take everything down to an atomic level, so for instance a table containing all the individual instruments, then another table which contains a list name, with referring ids for each of the instruments. This means that if (for example) the code number of "Suture 2/0 Polysorb (GL223)" changes to say "Suture 2/0 Polysorb (WHOOT123)", you can just change the code on that item, and all the lists will be updated. That kind of thing anyway...
I'm not a spammer - honest!
crispibits
LXF regular

Postby firefox » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:00 pm

I would be interested in helping out too, maybe LXF could provide some server space for users' projects? :P
firefox

Return to Programming