An English lesson

Non-computer-related chit-chat

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

An English lesson

Postby towy71 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:51 pm

visiting another linux website I came across the following as someone's sig
This is my signature! Not a post aimed at any one person....
A quick English lesson:
1. "Your" is possessive. "You're" is a contraction of "You are". Why do otherwise intelligent people make statements like "Your running the wrong program"? It's not hard.
2. "There" refers to something like "over there". "Their" is possessive of them. "They're" is "they are".
3. Plurals DO NOT HAVE APOSTROPHES. Yes really: no "dog's", no "cat's", no "program's" and definitely no "carrot's"
4. Try punctuating occasionally. It makes your question easier to understand and means I'm more likely to try to answer it. I'm probably not the only one.

and do you know what? He is right! :oops:
No names no pack drill ;-)

*oh dear can't even proof read my own postings :oops: :oops:
Last edited by towy71 on Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Re: An English lesson

Postby drws » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:34 am

towy71 wrote:and do you what?

ahem! *cough* :D
drws
LXF regular

Postby spottedcat » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:09 am

Wot, no banana's??!! :shock:
spottedcat
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:39 am

Banana's what? :)
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Marrea » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:45 am

OK, here are some more:

"10 items or less"
Should be "10 items or fewer"

"I met with .... "
No "with" required.

"Joe Bloggs met Andy, John and I on .... "
or
"Joe Bloggs met Andy, John and myself on .... "
Should be "Joe Bloggs met Andy, John and me on .... "

Please don't ask me what I think about "And I was like ... ", which all the kids use these days.

However, as my niece often tells me, no one bothers with grammar now. She says as long as people understand what you mean that's all that matters.
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby crispibits » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:45 am

Banana's what are ripe. :-)
I'm not a spammer - honest!
crispibits
LXF regular

Postby crispibits » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:49 am

Has anyone else read 'Eats shoots & Leaves'? It really does turn you into an apostrophe Nazi. I was bad enough before reading it, but now just the merest whiff of the 'greengrocer's apostrophe' is enough really get my goat.
crispibits
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:09 pm

are we all going to turn into "angry of Tunbridge Wells"? :lol:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby Marrea » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:02 pm

towy71 wrote:are we all going to turn into "angry of Tunbridge Wells"? :lol:

Well, it's all your fault. We were quite happily getting on with the matter in hand (Linuxing) and then you came along and set us all off. :D
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby crispibits » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:21 pm

Why *was* it Tunbridge Wells anyway? I think we should ask the man on the Clapham Omnibus...
crispibits
LXF regular

Postby TheDoctor » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:13 pm

Marrea wrote:OK, here are some more:

"10 items or less"
Should be "10 items or fewer"

"I met with .... "
No "with" required.

"Joe Bloggs met Andy, John and I on .... "
or
"Joe Bloggs met Andy, John and myself on .... "
Should be "Joe Bloggs met Andy, John and me on .... "

Please don't ask me what I think about "And I was like ... ", which all the kids use these days.

However, as my niece often tells me, no one bothers with grammar now. She says as long as people understand what you mean that's all that matters.

Actually, people do bother with grammar. It's just that it's changing. "Like" is a way of introducing an adjectival phrase, or even an entire sentence used as an adjectival phrase, as in "And I was like 'That's totally not so!'", meaning "I denied it strongly". Personally, I think that the old-fashioned way of saying this lacks style, but that's a matter of preference.

And I think the "I met with..." has a slightly different nuance that "I met...". Again, that may be just me.

But I'm totally with you on the other examples. Particularly the use of "I" for "me", whcih I hate as pretentious nonsense.
TheDoctor
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:34 pm

crispibits wrote:Has anyone else read 'Eats shoots & Leaves'?

No, but I have read 'Eats, Shoots & Leaves' :D

Apparently, reading the book also turns you into a comma Nazi :D
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby MartyBartfast » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:51 pm

TheDoctor wrote:Actually, people do bother with grammar. It's just that it's changing....

No change there then, our language (and grammar) has always changed with the time, and will continue to do so. If it didn't we'd all be speaking like Sir Toby Belch or (worse still) the Wife of Bath!
MartyBartfast
LXF regular

Postby crispibits » Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:13 pm

I knew it - I just knew it! As soon as I saw my post I thought 'oh bugger, someone's going to pick up on that now'. That's another problem with being a pedant - You set yourself up for a fall every time you open your mouth (or write something down).

On the changing of language, I think there's a difference between it's natural evolution and the bastardisation of it, as implemented by managers. Why do we now 'transition' things rather than 'move' them? Why do we consider doing things differently 'going forward' at all? We're not going to do things differently in the past are we? Apparently there are a number of 'human requisitions' in our company now - not job vacancies. To quote Terry Wogan(!), 'Is it me?'
crispibits
LXF regular

Postby shifty_ben » Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:19 pm

But I'm totally with you on the other examples. Particularly the use of "I" for "me", whcih I hate as pretentious nonsense.

Pretentious yes, nonsense no. The correct term when referring to yourself (I have no intention of starting talking about myself as oneself ;) ) in that context is in fact I. Not that it matters because everyone knows what you mean whether you say me, i, yours truly or anything else.

Funny though, most people know the correct grammar but don't use it. My grandma used to label it as laziness but I think in reality its just times changing. 20 years ago the kids wouldn't have dreamed of calling me "blood" or even bruv but I hear it all the time now, and it really really gets my goat!
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Next

Return to Off Topic