Micro$oft in trouble?

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Micro$oft in trouble?

Postby towy71 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:13 pm

It is reported that Microparp are having to rewrite 60% of the code for Vista see here, well there is a surprise :roll: :shock: :lol:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

RE: Micro$oft in trouble?

Postby shifty_ben » Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:59 pm

Well they have delayed it, and I saw a link somewhere in the forums to some very disgruntled employees.
I like the strategy, major problems so they restructure the teams :) definitely a company run by suits and not programmers. They should have known that essentially rebranding W2k would come back to bite them
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

RE: Micro$oft in trouble?

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:31 pm

Personally, I think XP stinks, and Vaster will stink more.
The win2k GUI was far better than the XP mess. The problem is that MS have to change the frontend to look different, or it won't sell.
Xp was far more stable, more secure., and more efficient, until you look at the frontend, which was confusing, clumsy, and positively unintuitive.
Basically, you had to retrain users to operate a GUI that takes more mouse clicks to do any given job.-a disaster.
I have heard retraining as a major issue for moving from Windoze to LInux- moving from win2k to XP has far more retraining issues than moving from Win2k to KDE.
I have moved users from Win2K and office2K to Suse9.2 and OO.o with virtually no training.
I have watched users in my customer's offices struggling with XP.

Far too many "features" are becoming "issues" e.g. personalised menus-what a waste of time! Most users have a problem realising that they have to hit the down arrow to access the full menu, and cLick on something else when the option they are looking for is not there straight away.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby Hello » Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:28 pm

lol Does anyone on this forum like ms?
Hello
LXF regular

Postby Nigel » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:22 pm

Hello wrote:lol Does anyone on this forum like ms?

Depends what part of MS...

Their keyboards & mice are excellent (I'm a big fan of the "natural" keyboards, and they're the only ones who seem to make them any more).
I also like the Age of Empires games they publish.
And as a programmer, I have to say I like Visual Studio.

On the other hand, I hate MS Office, and am tired of fighting with Windows when I just want to get my job done... and I think that certain people at the top levels of MS have not forgotten how they came to dominate the desktop and are trying everything they can to stop anyone else doing the same thing.
Nigel
LXF regular

Postby pins » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:39 pm

I love my microsoft intellimouse. I have very large hands, and this is the only mouse that I have ever found really comfortable. So, bizarley I concur that microsoft make great hardware, I used to have one of their joysticks, too...
pins
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:01 pm

Hello wrote:lol Does anyone on this forum like ms?

Yes, I do. But I try to keep quiet about it in case I get thrown out :wink:

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:moving from win2k to XP has far more retraining issues than moving from Win2k to KDE.

Funnily enough, where I work although we had lots of training sessions laid on when we moved from 3.1 to 98 (we missed out 95 altogether), we had no retraining at all when we switched from 2000 to XP. People just came in and started using it. No one seemed to have any problems. Of course, I'd been using it at home for ages before we got it at work anyway. There was much more of a fuss when we changed from WordPerfect to Word. I think we were the last government department still using WordPerfect !
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby GMorgan » Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:45 pm

To be fair I find one GUI to be the same as another provided they allow you to modify the menus easily. On top of this the Windows GUI hasn't changed a great deal in principle since Win95. Still the basic layout out of start menu and tool bar, my computer and such still perform roughly the same tasks (though in higher resolutions with pretty colours). The places where they've changed is the Blue screen of death disappeared to be replaced with more security flaws than seems humanly posible.
GMorgan
LXF regular

Postby pins » Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:46 am

Ha! wouldn't this be funny: if hackers got frustrated attacking windoze, cos the machines would crash before they could do anything...
pins
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:14 am

it makes me spit feathers but I wouldn't be without my intelimouse from :hack:spit: M$
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:31 pm

Personally, I find that each new version of the windows GUI may make things easier for users (except for the changes to the start menu, the jury is out on that).
BUT.... they make it harder and harder to fix things when the idiot's guide goes wrong.
Call it the Apple effect if you like.
As long as everything works, it works.
When it goes wrong ,it really goes wrong, and it is harder to put right..

To do any serious configuration in XP takes far more mouse clicks (this is in addition to the "you shoudn't even think of looking at the contents of this folder" messages)..

For example, I recently found a printer which couldn't be installed unless you selected "advanced" in the first page of the install wizard, and navigated to the printer drivers manually, mainly because the PC didn't have a network connection.

People want a "just works" experience, but it still lets them down.

As for Marrea's comment, I know many people (mostly my customers) who hate the XP start menu (and the new control panel view, the new network view, etc), they may use it. (mainly because they don't realise that they can turn it off), but they find in confusing and wonder why on earth it was changed.

I personally hate it because I thnk that it is poor design, and far less intuitive than its precursor.

For example, in network places>entire network, PCs are displayed in alphabetical order by name, but the first displayed property is the comment, not the name.
This means that in the displayed listing, I have a client description of "Samba server 3.1" (Fordprefect). instead of Fordprefect (samba server 3.1), yet it still appears between "Windows 2003 server"(eldorado) and "Windows xp workstation" (griffin) in the list.
This is just noise that makes life harder.

I could go on..and on.. and on... Just dont get me started on windows 2003 server or policy defaults....GRRR
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Re: Micro$oft in trouble?

Postby CJLL » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:12 pm

towy71 wrote:It is reported that Microparp are having to rewrite 60% of the code for Vista see here, well there is a surprise :roll: :shock: :lol:

Nah, the marketing boys have realised that Vista is a rubbish name for an OS and are currently working on how to change it to Windows 2007 without anybody noticing they've changed it. :shock:
CJLL
LXF regular

RE: Re: Micro$oft in trouble?

Postby phorneker » Thu May 25, 2006 2:55 am

This is typical of what goes on at M$. The same type of problems were exhibited with the release of Windows 95, when many 486 users found their systems slow at best and non-functional at worst. This is what drove me to migrate to OS/2 from Windows 3.1 back in December 1995.

...and let's not talk about what happened with the release of the XBox 360.

If Vista is released with the same type of scenario, be ready for a mass migration to Linux, especially when users find out how much it is going to cost them to "upgrade" to Vista. :-)

Hopefully, my Cybernightlife project (http://cybernightlife.50megs.com) should be ready in case such a mass migration happens.

I also noticed mention of innovation in the aforementioned article. Some of these "innovations" being put into Vista have already been part of Linux for years. I have yet to see any real innovation come out of that company. ;-)
phorneker

Postby drws » Thu May 25, 2006 6:23 am

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:...
BUT.... they make it harder and harder to fix things when the idiot's guide goes wrong.
When it goes wrong ,it really goes wrong, and it is harder to put right..
Just dont get me started on windows 2003 server or policy defaults....GRRR

Ah yes, poilcy defaults.
When creating a new user account in w2003 the default is "user must change password at next login", but the password policy has a default of "minimum password age: 1 day",
The result? You have to change your password before you login, you can't change it in the first 24 hours. You can't login in the first 24 hours. (same default "user must change..." appears when you reset a password)
drws
LXF regular

Postby jjmac » Thu May 25, 2006 7:21 am

I always though MS hw was manufactured under licence ...

Marrea wrote:
>>
Yes, I do. But I try to keep quiet about it in case I get thrown out
>>

(grin)

jm
Humpty Dumpty Was Pushed !
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Next

Return to Other OS