Reckon this infringes any trademarks?

Non-computer-related chit-chat

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby towy71 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:03 pm

As WC Fields said "I don't drink water, fish f**k in it" you have to gesture waggly with a cigar in one hand and raise an eyebrow archly :lol:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby shifty_ben » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:30 am

I don't take offence easily, and IMHO if someone takes offense from someone elses opinion then a forum is probably no place for them :D Thats probably seen as incredibly politically correct, but in my job its not infrequent to be called racist directly as a result of IDing someone, one day people may learn that insulting me is not going to get them served :D
I dunno, any relaxation on the heart has to be a good thing, though at the same time if your liver deteriorates then worn out heart muscles is going to be just another thing on a long list of problems. I dont think drinking will ever become something thats phased out of our culture, although the law may tighten up even more. I don't know what it has been like in Australia, but in the UK the media have blown problems with alcohol way out of proportion, noone seems to realise how inadequate the term "underage sales" is, the intent is on one side of the counter, we do not try to sell to kids, they try to buy from us. As for this 24 hour licensing lark, the media started a whirlwind over nothing, if people wanted to binge drink before they did it at home, now they do it at the pub, where they get promptly kicked out and end up with an ASBO
Still the media seems to have a tendancy to do that
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby shifty_ben » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:14 pm

Just to keep to the alcohol theme of this thread :D curiosity has finally gotten the better of me. Back in February I made vodka jelly babies as part of my Birthday celebration ;) for anyone that doesn't know you put jelly babies in a bowl of vodka for about 4 hours and they soak it up very nicely, anyway I used a little too much vodka and it wasn't entirely soaked up, I poured what was left back into an empty bottle in order to avoid waste, but at the time it was green and not too appetising, as I said curiosity finally got the better of me so I got the bottle off my spirit shelf today, its no longer green the alcohol has bleached it white. It is the most amazing thing I have ever tasted, it is vodka that tastes reminicent of jelly babies (for obvious reasons) think of the delightful sugariness of calpol, this is the level it is at.
I plan to make quite a bit more and see if we can sell it at work :D have to admit did wonder if it is patentable but rather than restrict flow of what I personally think is delicious information thought I may share it with an enlightened few :D
Hope this doesn't break any forum rules I don't know of, if so then let me know and ill remove it, or remove it yourself either way.

all I can say is anyone who tries it 1) enjoy it and 2) whilst it is deceptively sweet it is still vodka and so fairly strong, don't do a rm -rf / on your liver ;)
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:23 pm

It'll probably go down a storm with all the underage drinkers in your area, you could sell it outside the local school.
:D
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby shifty_ben » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:33 pm

Yea they'd probably love it, but we are very careful about ID, b*llocks to all the trading standards measures and what not, if I were to fail a test purchase Id get fired. Trading Standards (and the police) impose an 80 quid fine on anyone caught selling to underage, and a possible court appearance that could lead up to a 3 grand fine. I know underage drinking is a big issue in this country but sadly neither the government or the media seem to acknowledge the intent is on one side of the counter. They are talking about reforming the law so that anyone underage trying to buy alcohol could be fined 80 on the spot but I can't see how they would work this accurately as a lot of people don't seem to see the need to carry I.D.
Although it would make my job a lot easier I am dead against the National ID scheme largely because of the cost of having one. They reckon its about 50 quid to get one (about the same as a passport) which seems extreme for something compulsory. To make things worse we will soon be entering "phase 1" in which if you apply for/renew a passport you won't be able to get it without first getting a National ID. When we hit "Phase 2" they will be imposing fines on people who do not have one by xyz date.

My 2 cents, and I guess a little OT but I guess thats what this forum is for :D
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:00 am

ID card will cost at least 93 squids and probably more. The tossers don't have a clue about the complexities and the biometrics stuff will only be 93% accurate, which is really not very good. It is likely that they might have to derogate the EU rules to implement it too. When it was originally proposed by Blunkett it was 5 billion and the last guestimate was around twice that, you do the sums.
towy71

Postby shifty_ben » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:08 am

I have seen several National ID cards already (the older ones) I simply will _not_ accept them as proof of age, and Trading Standards have already backed me up on it once. It would take someone about half an hour to make one on the computer. The versions of it I have seen do not even have a hologram on them.
I have no problem with getting a National ID card for myself, except for the fact it is going to cost a small fortune, but it will live in my drawer I have no need to carry one and based on the comical look of them will never have a need to.
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby spottedcat » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:29 am

shifty_ben wrote:I plan to make quite a bit more and see if we can sell it at work :D have to admit did wonder if it is patentable but rather than restrict flow of what I personally think is delicious information thought I may share it with an enlightened few :D

Perhaps you could issue the method under an open source licence.

Another (admittedly very old) one is to soak prunes in port. Stick 'em in the fridge in the first week of December and then enjoy on Christmas day. Tastes much better than it sounds.
spottedcat
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:37 am

or sloes in gin, plums in brandy, strawberries in brandy for two hours then add a magnum of champagne or that old favourite olive in dry martini ;-) (where is that drunken emoticon) your my besht friend you are :lol:
towy71

Postby MartyBartfast » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:02 am

Personally I'm not a lover of sweet things, I go for Chillies in Vodka - takes the skin off your toungue!
I have been touched by his noodly appendage.
MartyBartfast
LXF regular

Postby shifty_ben » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:19 am

Chillis in Vodka??? Sounds quite nice :D I like the 24 Carat gold vodka, but it is rather expensive. Drinks have to be either really sweet (Like southern comfort) or they need to be the furthest thing from sweet, there is no real midway with spirits.
Is there an open source license for making alcoholic drinks? I suppose Community commons could apply.

Incidentally in case anybody finds/gets given/buys a bottle of beajoulais Noveau add a tot of port to it and it tastes much better :)

Im not a big fan of prunes so I think ill skip that one, although dipping the butt of a cigar into a glass of port before smoking it is rather nice.
Ive got a company funded trip to a wine and spirit trade fair next month so I may well end up seeing if I can get some of that chilli vodka.
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby MartyBartfast » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:26 am

shifty_ben wrote:Chillis in Vodka??? Sounds quite nice :D
Ive got a company funded trip to a wine and spirit trade fair next month so I may well end up seeing if I can get some of that chilli vodka.

I make my own:

Take a handfull of chillis, pierce the skins several times and thread them onto a piece of string & push them into the neck of a bottle of Vodka (being carefull to slurp up any Vodka that is displaced :wink: ).
Leave them for several days, then remove (this is where the string comes in usefull).

Last batch I did had 6 chillis & I forgot about them and left them for 2 weeks, to be honest I could have used petrol instead of the Vodka 'cos when drinking it I can't taste anything through the pain :shock:

Experiment with type & quantity of chillies, and the length of time left in the bottle until you find something that works for you.
MartyBartfast
LXF regular

Postby spottedcat » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:45 am

shifty_ben wrote:Incidentally in case anybody finds/gets given/buys a bottle of beajoulais Noveau add a tot of port to it and it tastes much better :)

Add anything to Beaujolais Nouveau and it would taste better. Arsenic, elephant sh*t....
spottedcat
LXF regular

Postby shifty_ben » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:50 am

Dunno it could be far worse, amazing how many of our customers still believe that Lambrini is wine, its not its sparkling perry and its the most vile stuff known to man.

Ill have a go with the Chilli vodka Marty, cheers :D
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:34 pm

spottedcat wrote:Another (admittedly very old) one is to soak prunes in port. Stick 'em in the fridge in the first week of December and then enjoy on Christmas day. Tastes much better than it sounds.

The idea of any port being left within smelling distance and not being consumed within 25 days seems bizarre to me. Tell you what, I'll drink the port and you can give the prunes to granny, it'll keep her regular. :)
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic